Fruit Tree Buying Season

On another note, My SLN trees done awesome this year. I had one that only grew from the rootstock. I contacted them and they refunded me no questions asked for that tree. The rootstock (antonovka) has shot up to 5'+ at this point.

I had a few trees from Wallace Woodstock this year as well. They are also doing awesome. One of them even fruited its very first year in the ground.

My 2020 planted trees from them have fruit this year. Droptine, Wickson, and 30-06. That's quick enough for me! I'd actually prefer they get bigger before fruiting as I hate dealing w/ coon damage on young trees.
I totally agree..I pruned 100 buds/flowers off one winter gold alone! (and was pretty draconian about getting them off all the others as well) I only planted those in November of 2021, so maybe 1 more year of pruning and growth (and this year I can fertilize!!)...a friend who started with a regular size drop tine in the spring of 2020 now has a 13' tree that had some fruit on it...pretty crazy growth

I keep saying I'm done ordering trees but...
Spoken like a true addict lol

People like us always want more room to plant more trees and stuff, not a bad habit to have though! I cut down trees to plant more trees and my neighbors think I'm nuts. I take it as a compliment 😃

Last edited:
I totally agree..I pruned 100 buds/flowers off one winter gold alone! (and was pretty draconian about getting them off all the others as well) I only planted those in November of 2021, so maybe 1 more year of pruning and growth (and this year I can fertilize!!)...a friend who started with a regular size drop tine in the spring of 2020 now has a 13' tree that had some fruit on it...pretty crazy growth
My 2020 droptine is at least 10'. I'll need to prune the lower limbs next spring but it's well on it's way. I've added a few more since then.

The only bad thing I can say about Blue Hill is getting an order placed can be a real B***h. I know he doubled his stock last spring but still heard everyone bummed everything they wanted was sold out in the first few hours sales open. I personally tried to place an order twice, once in the spring and again the following fall, and did it the first hour of sales on his website. I put everything I wanted in my cart but by the time I went to checkout several things were missing, I went back to put them back into my cart and they were sold out. A friend had the same thing happen to him so I know I wasn't the only one.

I had talked to Ryan quite a bit about what was best to plant for my hardiness zone so he was familiar with me, I emailed him the 2nd time I couldn't get an order in and he put me on a list and pulled my order before sales hit the website so I got the trees and planted them this spring. His trees are in high demand and he sells an excellent product so I get the reason, it just sucks to have planned everything out on paper and couldn't get my order in is all. Every other aspect of BH I was very impressed with from pre-order questions/customer service to being impressed with the trees I got.
Maybe if order sizes were limited, the stock could be spread out. This will be my 4th year trying to order. I did end up with a few leftovers this spring which I was thankful for.

I was lucky enough to get 8 in 2021 from Blue Hill. Have 4 coming from Cummins next spring. Probably won’t be adding anymore beyond that. Gives me 42 at our place. Running out of room.

Does anybody have trees from
NWC growing in zone 4? I’m not excited to push the edge of growing zones. I’d rather be comfortably in the middle of their rated usda zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anybody have trees from
NWC growing in zone 4? I’m not excited to push the edge of growing zones. I’d rather be comfortably in the middle of their rated usda zones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m zone 4b I believe.

I planted 16 apple trees this year and maybe one of them is looking satisfactory. I’m not convinced they are going to work out on my poorly draining soils at the land but the 7 at home should have done better. Perhaps I’m the problem.

So I want more but I’m gun shy that I’m wasting my time..

I’ve got 160 or so apple trees to plant out that I’ve grafted the last 2 years. Problem is, I don’t have fencing material for them yet. Crossing my fingers it’s cheaper come next spring.

I planted 16 apple trees this year and maybe one of them is looking satisfactory. I’m not convinced they are going to work out on my poorly draining soils at the land but the 7 at home should have done better. Perhaps I’m the problem.

So I want more but I’m gun shy that I’m wasting my time..
I believe pears can handle poorly drained soil better than apples might add some of them instead.

My 90 or so RM 1 gallon potted trees I’ve got plenty of 5’ tubes pulled from a couple oak verities I planted this spring that died in the Kansas heat this summer. Black oak and Scarlet oak both didn’t do well on my site and I plannted 50 each to try out.

Attachments

• 79F12631-3122-4D4B-92C5-1BAFDAA3AF12.jpeg
    79F12631-3122-4D4B-92C5-1BAFDAA3AF12.jpeg
    753.7 KB · Views: 11
I believe pears can handle poorly drained soil better than apples might add some of them instead.
Interesting. I've read enough about people struggling with pears in zone 4 here that I hadn't considered them for this spot on the border of zones 3b and 4a.

Interesting. I've read enough about people struggling with pears in zone 4 here that I hadn't considered them for this spot on the border of zones 3b and 4a.

You have to get very specific varieties, but there are pears out there for zone 3.

Bought 3 persimmons from Willis orchard last year for $174! They got delivered in sprin. Planted the, right away and all failed to grow (some of the roots were cut on every tree, very odd). They are agreeing to replace them but they want me to pay $50 in delivery charges, wtf? Really? Not sure what to do, they are bare root trees, they claim their prices went up on shipping, i agreed to pay $25 but they said no. Any thoughts on what I should do?

Bought 3 persimmons from Willis orchard last year for $174! They got delivered in sprin. Planted the, right away and all failed to grow (some of the roots were cut on every tree, very odd). They are agreeing to replace them but they want me to pay $50 in delivery charges, wtf? Really? Not sure what to do, they are bare root trees, they claim their prices went up on shipping, i agreed to pay $25 but they said no. Any thoughts on what I should do?
Pay the $50 and try them again is what I’d do. Amazon Prime has skewed our mindsets on shipping costs over the years.

Pay the $50 and try them again is what I’d do. Amazon Prime has skewed our mindsets on shipping costs over the years.
This is exactly the case. Spot on. I read an article before COVID that predicted this would happen sooner or later. We forgot what it was like to pay appropriate shipping charges. Smaller companies can't absorb the cost of shipping because their margins or their volume are smaller.

Has anyone purchased persimmons from both MDC and from Kansas Conservation? Are the trees from Kansas worth the extra $2/tree?

In the last few years, I've had pretty decent luck with MDC persimmons when I could get them.