Fruit Tree Buying Season

PatinPA

5 year old buck +
Since September 1st seems to be the day most fruit trees websites start sales, anyone have big plans? I'm running out of room personally. I was eyeing up a couple remaining strategic spots yet. Might switch over and start planting some wild pears and apples that I can attempt to graft later on. I bought a couple wild crab apples from Blue Hill last year and they've been doing pretty well, even in the drought we've had. I've only watered them a few times.

I'm looking forward to not planting dozens of fruit trees for the first time in several years. Like you, I've mostly run out of space but the cost of fencing and lack of time are playing a roll as well. My only plan is to transplant 6 Liberty's from the garden that were re-grafts of failed bench grafts and add a couple peaches to the family orchard. That being said, I'm sure I'll come across some deer fruit that will pique my interest enough that I won't resist it.

Timely post

Ordering up nuttall and overcup bareroots to reforest bottomland after i kill every fire truckin sweetgum

Think ghostbusters with remedy/diesel and a few buddies

Also Sawtooth and Allegheny chinkapin for upland

I love baby trees

bill

As info I’ve had a very high survival rate with Nuttall oak seedlings.

I have about 90 or so apple, pear, sawtooth oak and shumard started in RM 1 gallon pots to go in on the new farm this fall.
Probably order 25 of the DCO
Maybe 15-25 burgambel oak
Maybe a AU Buck chestnut package(these did pretty well for me)
Maybe at least some fruit trees from Turkey Creek. No where near the number of trees I had been planting the last two years

Last edited:
I could use about a dozen more apples, but will be traveling Sept 1st to see my boy in Alabama. I'm sure I'll miss out on Blue hill again.

I could use about a dozen more apples, but will be traveling Sept 1st to see my boy in Alabama. I'm sure I'll miss out on Blue hill again.
I signed up for his alerts last year and never got one and I had to pick from what was left.

I am going to try and get a couple pears and crabs from Blue Hill and maybe a few more from Whitetail crabs. I just have to decide how much of my food plot I want to be taken up by trees at this point...already have a double row along the top edge and it makes spraying pretty interesting...also have a voucher from fastgrowingtrees.com (I know don't make fun) from 2 of their trees that didn't make it (shocking I know)..I'll be placing that order in the spring...
From Blue Hill looking at:
Pears: Rifle Deer, Sweet Advent, Winter Deer,
Crabs: Big Dog, Ed's Crazy crab, Turning Point
From Whitetail Crabs:
Anything I can get my hands on that is full size.

Last edited:
I've got a spot picked out at my new place for a few crabs for next spring. Later this Fall I will spray 4x4 patches where I plan to put them in preparation for planting. I will go with three or four trees. I'm also considering BlueHills. I'm in Zone4b and going for a wide range of drop times.

I'll probably go for something like this.

1x Grafted Dolgo
1x Kerr or Chestnut
1X Big Dog
1X Buckman

I've got a spot picked out at my new place for a few crabs for next spring. Later this Fall I will spray 4x4 patches where I plan to put them in preparation for planting. I will go with three or four trees. I'm also considering BlueHills. I'm in Zone4b and going for a wide range of drop times.

I'll probably go for something like this.

1x Grafted Dolgo
1x Kerr or Chestnut
1X Big Dog
1X Buckman
I started looking a lot more at drop times last year. trying to get a nice spread from end of august through january to keep attraction there year round

It's about time to start scouring big box stores for leftovers too. I haven't had much luck with them but I'm a sucker for a $7 fruit tree that's already 8-10 ft. tall. I have one in my backyard that is 12 years old that I've never gotten an apple off of. I should probably try to top work it.

The only bad thing I can say about Blue Hill is getting an order placed can be a real B***h. I know he doubled his stock last spring but still heard everyone bummed everything they wanted was sold out in the first few hours sales open. I personally tried to place an order twice, once in the spring and again the following fall, and did it the first hour of sales on his website. I put everything I wanted in my cart but by the time I went to checkout several things were missing, I went back to put them back into my cart and they were sold out. A friend had the same thing happen to him so I know I wasn't the only one.

I had talked to Ryan quite a bit about what was best to plant for my hardiness zone so he was familiar with me, I emailed him the 2nd time I couldn't get an order in and he put me on a list and pulled my order before sales hit the website so I got the trees and planted them this spring. His trees are in high demand and he sells an excellent product so I get the reason, it just sucks to have planned everything out on paper and couldn't get my order in is all. Every other aspect of BH I was very impressed with from pre-order questions/customer service to being impressed with the trees I got.

38” of growth this summer from BH Danville Kieffer Pear is not the norm for my soils. All the other trees from BH gained 16-18” this summer and even that is a lot for what I normally see.

I highly recommend Blue Hill, but be prepared to beat the buzzer once sales open up is all.
5CEF3FE2-09B9-4981-8D58-89C7209BE2BF.jpeg

My Blue Hill trees have been slow growers but not surprising given the rootstocks they use. I just have the crabs though, no pears.

Sounds like I may need a backup plan. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to try and get a couple pears and crabs from Blue Hill and maybe a few more from Whitetail crabs. I just have to decide how much of my food plot I want to be taken up by trees at this point...already have a double row along the top edge and it makes spraying pretty interesting...also have a voucher from fastgrowingtrees.com (I know don't make fun) from 2 of their trees that didn't make it (shocking I know)..I'll be placing that order in the spring...
From Blue Hill looking at:
Pears: Rifle Deer, Sweet Advent, Winter Deer,
Crabs: Big Dog, Ed's Crazy crab, Turning Point
From Whitetail Crabs:
Anything I can get my hands on that is full size.
Pretty sure Whitetail Crabs uses B118 rootstock. That'll be close to full size. I can only remember one crab on his site that says it's a smaller tree. I'd load up on Droptine, Crossbow, and 30-06 from them.

Pretty sure Whitetail Crabs uses B118 rootstock. That'll be close to full size. I can only remember one crab on his site that says it's a smaller tree. I'd load up on Droptine, Crossbow, and 30-06 from them.
I have all of his "regular" trees already planted along with several of his others...they are all great! I just want there to be fruit sooner haha (probably should have avoided the antonovkas, but the trees were so big I couldn't pass them up)

I've got 20 apple crabs of different varieties and a couple eaters ordered. I'm sure I'll end up planting 200 (which usually turns into 1200) ERC at some point as well.

Last edited:
I have all of his "regular" trees already planted along with several of his others...they are all great! I just want there to be fruit sooner haha
My 2020 planted trees from them have fruit this year. Droptine, Wickson, and 30-06. That's quick enough for me! I'd actually prefer they get bigger before fruiting as I hate dealing w/ coon damage on young trees.