Fruit trees for Spring 2023

I received my BHN order yesterday and we have a good foot of snow on the ground which then turns to mud. On top of that, I have hernia surgery next Friday. I either have to plant this weekend in the snow / mud or try to carry them over for a month until I can work a shovel. ???

I received my BHN order yesterday and we have a good foot of snow on the ground which then turns to mud. On top of that, I have hernia surgery next Friday. I either have to plant this weekend in the snow / mud or try to carry them over for a month until I can work a shovel. ???
My restrictions were 6 week after hernia surgery. Not saying I couldn’t have planted some trees before then but I followed them closely because I didn’t want to go through it again! Might be worth taking a snow shovel out before surgery or finding a friend to help with planting after surgery.

My restrictions were 6 week after hernia surgery. Not saying I couldn’t have planted some trees before then but I followed them closely because I didn’t want to go through it again! Might be worth taking a snow shovel out before surgery or finding a friend to help with planting after surgery.
I'm leaning towards planting before the surgery. I do have my 3 year old grandson this weekend. I'm sure he'd like to go out with papa to play in the mud!

I'd put them in sooner than later Teeder,

Cover them up in snow when your done. How many trees do you have to do?

Only 6.

I got my Blue Hill and Turkey Creek order in today,Dang I'm still shed hunting

Plant them now. Hernia surgery isn't anything to screw around with, you can mess yourself up pretty badly by doing too much too soon. My buddy still has issues from doing exactly that. I followed the 6 week restrictions after watching him regret his mistake.

I been fortunate this winter here in Ct. I’ve planted 37 already.

Some of my trees of my trees are on their way. Our property is in zone 5A, CNY'ish region. Are you all saying that so long as the ground is workable, even with snow and such, I'm able to plant? And that, all things considered I'd be safe to do so?

I do see big box stores selling em already, so figure as long as they stay dormant they are probably safe?

That's what I'm going to do. I'm just south of Erie Pa. Relatively close to you.

Some of my trees of my trees are on their way. Our property is in zone 5A, CNY'ish region. Are you all saying that so long as the ground is workable, even with snow and such, I'm able to plant? And that, all things considered I'd be safe to do so?

I do see big box stores selling em already, so figure as long as they stay dormant they are probably safe?
Make sure you water them when you plant. If you got snow cover them back up with snow. Keeps them asleep a bit longer.

Yes. If you can work the ground you can plant. I am in the same zone and I would have no issue planting now. If my BHN trees show up they will be going in the ground at this point.

All Blue Hill
1 Dolgo
1 Kerr
1 Chestnut
1 Yates
1 Entrprise
1 Peak Attraction
2 Turning Points
1 Big Ten
1 # 5
1 Ruby Rush

All of them were great looking trees and now all in the ground (thank goodness ) !

BobinCT,

can you show some picture of those trees this summer. If I recall right, you planted them in regular pots. How bad were your root balls? I got some 3 gallon air pots for a few trees I will be planting at camp this fall.

Just ordered all of my materials for fencing my 16 trees coming April 17th. Planning on using four 8’ treated landscape Timbers as stakes for each tree fence. The Timbers are 3”x4” and I’m hoping my 3” earth auger will create a nice pilot hole for driving the Timbers in with a sledge. I picked up 4 rolls of 50’x5’ welded wire for 80 bucks a roll and the Timbers were only 6 bucks each. I also picked up 400’ of barbed wire that I might experiment with. Might be overkill but I have bears on camera at least weekly from May until September and I’m trying to give my trees a fighting chance. If these fences don’t work I already have plans to completely fence in a 1.5 acre food plot that I will turn into an orchard. I will have apple trees.

I'm leaning towards planting before the surgery. I do have my 3 year old grandson this weekend. I'm sure he'd like to go out with papa to play in the mud!
Mission accomplished!
1chestnut, 1 Kerr, 1 Buckman, 2 turning point, in my plot behind the house. 1 candy crab at my hunting property to go with what I planted there last year.

BigBore: Mine were all bareroot trees. I can send you pics this summer if you would like . I think you got me confused with someone else.

Last edited:
3 Apples, Cortland, Yellow Delicious, Liberty. 2 Pears, Harrow Delight. 2 Plums, Stanley.

Hmm I didn't get notification that my Blue Hill trees are ready for pickup yet. I need a few weeks to get my pick axing arms loosened up to plant some trees.

Well I went down to our place with every intention of planting. Tried loosening up some of the soil to get started and realized it wasn't meant to be! So, hopefully with the warmer weather it'll thaw a bit this week and I can get back down there. We did have the chainsaw running for a couple of hours though, so all was not lost.

Attachments

• Wood pile.jpg
    Wood pile.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 27