Apple Orchard Planting

PrairieShadow

5 year old buck +
Maybe I'm going down the rabbit hole to far here but I've got 18 apple Crabs and 2 full size eating apple trees coming from blue hill this spring.

I'll be making a sort of orchard in what is currently alfalfa. These will basically be planted in a square just on the south side of an old homestead group of trees (no rows).

I'm planning on spacing of 20ft between trees and between rows.

I've got 2 Buckman Crabs, 2 Big dogs, 2 Chestnuts, 2 Kerr, 2 Sweet dog, 2 Trailman, 2 Turning Point, 1 peak attraction, 1 lockdown, 1 sweet november, 1 ed's crazy, and for the eaters are 1 norland, and 1 liberty.

Now to my question,
Does it matter in what order I plant these trees? Should like varieties be next to each other of should I spread them out from each other? Is there a certain sequence I should be planting them in?

How would you do it?

I planted mine in several offset rows, with 20 feet between trees and ~16-20' between rows. I tried to intersperse the different varieties, but you may want to look into when the drop times are so all of your early dropping trees aren't at one end or something like that. I liked the offset because I think it will make it easier to see between them once the trees are larger . I also am planting what I have heard/seen/researched to be "really good trees" (Drop Tine, Golden Hornet, Roadkill, Turning Point, Ed's Crazy Crab, Big Dog) the closest to a stand location (bottom middle of the diagram). My "orchard" is also in a food plot so I tried to keep them in pretty good lines using a string line as a guide for mowing purposes and I marked out the trees before planting using those markers with the red reflective circles on the top. Helps with spacing and actually giving you a visual of where your trees would be. I also don't think it matters where you put the specific varieties, as they all should be close enough to be pollinated well.
IMG_8341[1].JPG

Last edited:
Maybe I'm going down the rabbit hole to far here but I've got 18 apple Crabs and 2 full size eating apple trees coming from blue hill this spring.

I'll be making a sort of orchard in what is currently alfalfa. These will basically be planted in a square just on the south side of an old homestead group of trees (no rows).

I'm planning on spacing of 20ft between trees and between rows.

I've got 2 Buckman Crabs, 2 Big dogs, 2 Chestnuts, 2 Kerr, 2 Sweet dog, 2 Trailman, 2 Turning Point, 1 peak attraction, 1 lockdown, 1 sweet november, 1 ed's crazy, and for the eaters are 1 norland, and 1 liberty.

Now to my question,
Does it matter in what order I plant these trees? Should like varieties be next to each other of should I spread them out from each other? Is there a certain sequence I should be planting them in?

How would you do it?
When planting apple trees for deer hunting, I try to plant early season apple varieties near early season stand sites, late dropping apples near rut stands, etc. If you are just planting them to eat yourself I don't think it matters much what order you plant them.

I would definitely recomment planting the trees in straight rows though. That will make mowing the orchard much easier in the future.

I'd think about 25' spacing for full size roots. I planted too close in my early planting days. 15-20' and those trees are now touching. Not the end of the world but they do grow and widen out. Just something to think about, especially if you plan on taking equipment around them to mow, etc.

I'd plant trees near to each other by season. Bow range for your bow season. OVerall, I would group them by bloom times. Put the similar bloom times together, if known. Some trees are self polinatoirs, most need or help alot to have another tree polinate them. Definitely put a crab or two near apple trees, although that wont be a problem for you.

Row spacing recommendations are usually meant to maximize output per acre. I just noticed bluehill uses dolgo to graft onto, you should keep them 25ft apart. Many other places use B118, M111. Average home garden apple trees are on even smaller sized trees.

Chestnut, Kerr, and trailman are edible apples. I'd add or swap in an enterprise, good for humans and a late october dropper. Cross between mcintosh with red and golden delicious, very disease resistant. Got 2 in my backyard this fall.

Good luck with your orchard !

I am getting ready to do same thing,I have mine laid out at 25ft and have set up for 28 trees.I will also use as a food plot and plan on planting vitalize seed in this area to try.I am also setting up a drip system that will go to one end