Fruit trees for Spring 2023

I have 2 Ely pear from SLN planted in 2019 that are thriving, over 13 ft tall already. I planted 2 Stacey pears at the same time but they have had some set backs and not doing as well. Planted 4 of the Russian varieties of pears from SLN last spring and they put on good growth 1st year. These Russian pears sound very promising, I have read some other forums with thim thriving in very cold parts of Canada. I am assuming they will handle the winter in Wisconsin very well. I am in zone 3/4 Northern Wisconsin.
Kind of off topic but do pear trees play nice with apple trees? Can I put them in the same orchard type setting?

I have pears and apples together but I keep all my pears in one section then all my apples together in another.

I didn't order any trees this year, but I have ~45 in my nursery and plan to move 20 to the farm. They're mostly a combo of droptine, 30-06, and winter wildlife on dolgo and m111 roots, with a handful more of yates and freedom. My orchards have all the people apples I think I need at this point, so thought process going forward is for post rut recovery and winter health of deer, hence what I've grafted the past couple years.

Campfield
Taliaferro
Bevan's Favorite
And Pendragon are my apple additions this year. Making a few more Ark Black, Sweet, and Winesap too.

Replanting spots where Chestnuts died last year with Royalmark seed. Know nothing about it, just what I could find.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Campfield
Taliaferro
Bevan's Favorite
And Pendragon are my apple additions this year.
Where did you get those apples? I've heard of Bevan's Favorite, but not the other ones. Just curious.

Wisconsin requires a license if you sell more than $250 worth in a year.
SWCD rules do not allow that in my area.

I am trying to cut back and at this age, I should just quit planting. I did not plant any seeds this fall.

For spring, I have 5-6 seedlings to move out of the garden and a Grandma’s seedling that a friend grafted for me. I might also get one or two other trees from him.

I am trying to cut back and at this age, I should just quit planting. I did not plant any seeds this fall.

For spring, I have 5-6 seedlings to move out of the garden and a Grandma’s seedling that a friend grafted for me. I might also get one or two other trees from him.

I am tempted to try the Spunk Lake Crab and the No Bull Crab. I drive by the No Bull nearly every day and it is still holding fruit. I have never tasted it.

Didn't know exactly where to park this. Back in September I ordered a dozen grafted chestnut trees from Mountain Gentry, to finish out the main orchard. Twelve trees seven varieties Amy, AU Cropper, AU Super, Mossbarger, Peach, PQK, and Yixin Large Nut. I did try to find customer complaints/reviews etc, I didn't find much on them. I decided to accept the risk and order from an unknown. Three months later ( Nov 16th) they sent an email telling me the entire order was cancelled, all twelve trees. My card was refunded the money, but after they had it for three months. Pricks....

I got to stop reading this thread. Now I want more trees..... Goldrush, redfield, chestnut crab........ All rattling in my head.
I know taste is subjective, but Goldrush right off the tree is the best tasting apple I've ever eaten. As described - it has a bit of tartness, but is also somewhat sweet and tangy. It really lights up the taste buds!! It's a balance of tastes I think most people will love. It develops more sweetness in storage, and it's one of the 2 or 3 BEST keepers. When I gave our first Goldrush apple - sliced up - to a couple camp members, their first response was, "Wow!! What kind of apple is THIS??" They loved it.

If you have red cedars or other junipers around, Goldrush does get CAR.

As far as wanting more trees .............. join the club.

I saw you posted previously about ground you have in the Adirondacks. Where at in the Adirondacks?? How far north??

I know taste is subjective, but Goldrush right off the tree is the best tasting apple I've ever eaten. As described - it has a bit of tartness, but is also somewhat sweet and tangy. It really lights up the taste buds!! It's a balance of tastes I think most people will love. It develops more sweetness in storage, and it's one of the 2 or 3 BEST keepers. When I gave our first Goldrush apple - sliced up - to a couple camp members, their first response was, "Wow!! What kind of apple is THIS??" They loved it.

If you have red cedars or other junipers around, Goldrush does get CAR.

As far as wanting more trees .............. join the club.

I saw you posted previously about ground you have in the Adirondacks. Where at in the Adirondacks?? How far north??
North of Old Forge. 680ish acre club is right off of big moose Rd next to the stillwater reservoir. MY club is litterally at intersection 150 in the snowmobile map for the old forge area.

Who comes out as the highest grade of grafted female persimmons?I have an area thats pretty sandy and some native are already growing there so thought I would get some more females

Who comes out as the highest grade of grafted female persimmons?I have an area thats pretty sandy and some native are already growing there so thought I would get some
Who comes out as the highest grade of grafted female persimmons?I have an area thats pretty sandy and some native are already growing there so thought I would get some more females
I’ve bought female grafted from Morse, England Nursery (Cliff England in Kentucky), Chestnut Hill Nursery, TyTy, Bluehill Wildlife Nursery, and some big company that escapes me (got a couple cold hardy Asian/American crosses.

By far the best was BHWN. Second would be Chestnut Hill. Chestnut actually shipped potted, they looked terrible got them in the ground and they took off and did well and put on new growth but they are expensive.

Worst was TYTy. That was my rookie mistake. Second worst was Morse. Morse is really hit or miss, they were great for oaks but that’s it from my experience.

England was really good. Trees were great. Planted in the fall. But it got butter cold last winter and all the grafts died. But I was impressed but it was bitter -38F one or two nights.

I’m in 5A upstate NY in Chenango county.
Probably got 40 or so persimmons growing. Nothing fruited yet. Been planting for 3 years now. You can’t go wrong with Ryan at Bluehill

Been getting stuff from everywhere. Now I got to find a place to put them all.

39th Parallel Nursery: Mostly cions and bareroots. (12) M111, Chestnut crab scion, coop 30 (enterprise) scion, (2) Blue Pearmain, Dabinet, Roxbury Russet, (2) Seckel Pear for Hard Cider, (1) Keiffer Pear. They still got a decent selection of scions. They said they were out of certain scions, but they're sending some that were out after emailing them.

Stark Brother Nursery: Yeah I know about them, but they had (2) Saturn Peaches for my wife and got a Franklin Cider Tree from them.

Willis Orchards: (1) Bartlett Pear (1) Granny Smith (5) Dolgo Bareroots (6) Trascendent crabapple Bareroots (3)Wild Apple Seedlings (2) Pear Seedlings

Mehrabyan Nursery in NY: (2) Gin Pears (2) hewes Crab on M7 (1) Roxbury Russet on M7

Turkey Creek Orchard: (2) Empire (1) Big Dog (1) Arkansas Black

Already in the Ground this Fall:

Whitetail Crabs: (2) Liberty (3) 30-06 (1) Enterprise (1) Crossbow (!) Droptine at Home. At Camp. (2) 30-06 and (1) Droptine

Said @#$% it, 45 ain't getting younger.... Full compliment of Deer, eating, and hard cider apples. Variety of Pears for hard cider spicing up. Some Peaches for the Wife. Lots of bareroots for up north. Grafting all crabapples. Got lots of droptine and crossbow to graft. Thinking they'll be a good mix. Supposedly, Crossbow is a bit smaller but sturdy built crabapple thats bear resistant. Deere's might be my worst enemy, John Deere Log Skidders. You only win if you roll the dice....

Last edited:
Where did you get those apples? I've heard of Bevan's Favorite, but not the other ones. Just curious.
Derek Mills from Hocking Hills Orchard in Ohio. Has an amazingly large list to choose from.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Derek Mills from Hocking Hills Orchard in Ohio. Has an amazingly large list to choose from.
Thanks Merle!! Always looking to learn about other apples and crabs. I'll give his orchard a look.

We're about out of room for more apple trees at camp - but we'll lose a few to bears most likely, so I'm always looking for more apple / crab info in case we need replacements.