Fruit trees for Spring 2023

I've kind of given up on bench grafting and babying newly grafted trees. I have been planting rootstock in there permanent locations with the hopes that if and when they survive and get big enough I will top work them. That being said, I'm planting out a dozen OHxF 97 pear rootstock this year to go along with the 40 dolgo rootstock I planted last year.

There's an interesting late ripening crab that's getting a lot of attention over at Growing Fruit called Clark's Crab. I'll be top working a few trees over to it this spring with scion fron 39th Parallel. Also adding some of the lesser know Etter apple crabs (Jade, Eden, Amberoso) from Trees of Antiquity.

Last edited:
There's an interesting late ripening crab that's getting a lot of attention over at Growing Fruit called Clark's Crab. I'll be top working a few trees over to it this spring with scion fron 39th Parallel. Also adding some of the lesser know Etter apple crabs (Jade, Eden, Amberooso) from Trees of Antiquity.
Geez that tree is loaded! Am I close to being right that it's $4 for 1 stick plus whatever shipping is?

There's an interesting late ripening crab that's getting a lot of attention over at Growing Fruit called Clark's Crab. I'll be top working a few trees over to it this spring with scion fron 39th Parallel. Also adding some of the lesser know Etter apple crabs (Jade, Eden, Amberooso) from Trees of Antiquity.
may have just jumped into the realm of grafting after seeing those top-worked trees...holy cow!

Geez that tree is loaded! Am I close to being right that it's $4 for 1 stick plus whatever shipping is?
Shipping was relatively high ($24). I added some other scion varieties and rootstock to balance out the order.

Where did you get your hazelnuts from?
I’m not sure if you have them in your state, but,….
the (your county) water and soil conservation is a good resource in my area. You can get bundles of 10 or 25 for very cheap, bare root seedlings, in my area.

From a local Land and Water conservation department.

25 Colorado Blue Spruce - for Xmas trees.
25 Dolgo crabapple - to be grafted and sold in the fall.
In MN, it seems like you would need a license to sell trees. The only exception I could find, is possibly if your sales are less than $2000, you might not need one.
not sure what state you are in, but might be worth checking the Regs.

Wisconsin requires a license if you sell more than $250 worth in a year.

I've kind of given up on bench grafting and babying newly grafted trees. I have been planting rootstock in there permanent locations with the hopes that if and when they survive and get big enough I will top work them. That being said, I'm planting out a dozen OHxF 97 pear rootstock this year to go along with the 40 dolgo rootstock I planted last year.
Honker,

Whas the tree troubles? Caging, drought, rodents? I'm no tree or pear expert. Thought pears are more of a zone 5+ thing.

I’m not sure if you have them in your state, but,….
the (your county) water and soil conservation is a good resource in my area. You can get bundles of 10 or 25 for very cheap, bare root seedlings, in my area.
I have 25 on backorder from MDC. I am hoping I get some but I'll look into other states.

Shipping was relatively high ($24). I added some other scion varieties and rootstock to balance out the order.

There are other shipping options. I got 2 pieces of scion and the total with shipping was $15.

From Blue Hill I have Turning Point, Roadkill, Galarina and Rubyrush coming. I also have about 40 potted, benchgrafted DR trees I need to find a home for.

There are other shipping options. I got 2 pieces of scion and the total with shipping was $15.
I either completely missed the other options, or they were added after I ordered back in October. Regradless, it's good to see the cheaper shipping options available.

Here is my list ... I hope I am done buying ... nothing wrong with lyin' to one's self if intentions are good 😜

Peak Attraction Crab 3
Big Lou Crab 2
Chesnut Crab 3
Big Dog 2
Big Dog Crab 3
Buckman Crab 2
Buckman Crab 3
Kerr Crab 2
Turning Point 5
Yates - 2
Galarina 2
Harvest Pear - 2
Hunters Deer Pear - 2

Harrison 3
30-06 Crab 3
Redfield 3
Shepnose 2
Crossbow 2
Redfield 3
Enterprise 5
Liberty 3

Campfield 2
Roxbury Russet 2
Winter Wildlife 4
Chesnut 2
Galarina 4

adding some of the lesser know Etter apple crabs (Jade, Eden, Amberooso) from Trees of Antiquity.
Albert Etter was a fruit explorer, hybridizer, and preserver of antique & rare apples and crabs. Etter's work has discovered / saved a number of apples & crabs that might otherwise have disappeared. Good to see you're planting some of his apple-crabs.

Keep 'em coming fellas - you can confess to us. We're all guilty of getting "tree-planting disease" here. Guys at my camp say we should've started 20 years sooner!!!

Last edited:
Honker,

Whas the tree troubles? Caging, drought, rodents? I'm no tree or pear expert. Thought pears are more of a zone 5+ thing.
I'd graft them, plant them in a nursery and leave them in there for a year or two, dig them out, replant them with compost, apply window screen, and cage them. I wouldn't be at the property to water and baby them regularly. I ended up with more mortality than I would like. So I decided, rather than go through all of that I would just plant the rootstock where I wanted them with the same planting method. If they survive and get big enough, I can top work them and they will have a much better survival rate because the roots aren't in shock. If the rootstock don't survive, I can just replant the $2 rootstock and reuse the caging that is already there.

Pears will survive in 4b, finding varieties that hold late into the fall is a bit of a challenge. I found one at someone's house that I was able to get scion from and top work onto an existing pear rootstock so that one variety and and a select few others I have in mind (korean giant, keiffer, sweet advent, deer pear, sweet pear, deer delicious pear).

I have 30 trees made up of alot of whats on your list ordered for spring,won't be long before I dig some holes

Anyone have any luck with any pear trees in zones 3-4? Very interested in trying some but can’t find much definitive proof of thriving pears in the northern areas. Don’t need to hold fruit that late as the deer in my area migrate by mid-December, unless it’s something that could benefit the deer when they move back in early April?

I have 2 Ely pear from SLN planted in 2019 that are thriving, over 13 ft tall already. I planted 2 Stacey pears at the same time but they have had some set backs and not doing as well. Planted 4 of the Russian varieties of pears from SLN last spring and they put on good growth 1st year. These Russian pears sound very promising, I have read some other forums with thim thriving in very cold parts of Canada. I am assuming they will handle the winter in Wisconsin very well. I am in zone 3/4 Northern Wisconsin.

I have 2 Ely pear from SLN planted in 2019 that are thriving, over 13 ft tall already. I planted 2 Stacey pears at the same time but they have had some set backs and not doing as well. Planted 4 of the Russian varieties of pears from SLN last spring and they put on good growth 1st year. These Russian pears sound very promising, I have read some other forums with thim thriving in very cold parts of Canada. I am assuming they will handle the winter in Wisconsin very well. I am in zone 3/4 Northern Wisconsin.
That’s awesome! You’re not far from me, about 50 miles southwest. I did check out the SLN website a couple times. Just want to hear some success stories before I spend even more money on trees, fencing, etc.