Food plots vs thickets

chummer

5 year old buck +
the logging is starting on my property this week. When they are done I will be left with 4, 1-2 acre clearing for plots. I am also having 7 acres almost clear cut in a 20 acre sanctuary. This area has zero ag within miles and the deer do not winter here. Am I crazy to thing I would be better off turning those plots into thickets of crab apple, dogwoods, or something similar. Then I could hunt the corridors between them during the rut. I am also In a no doe zone so the idea of shooting does out of them is not possible. What do you think would be a bigger draw during the rut, plots or thickets? I have three acres of plots 10 miles down the road that go largely untouched. There is excellent cover all around so I would be competing with that. My concern is maintains plots at a remote property when the deer numbers don't support that much food. No do both answer, you must pick one or the other.

Excellent cover, low deer numbers, no ag, no wintering deer, fresh clear cuts..... I would plant food plots that are green early in the year and stay green all through the summer. Get those does there early and often to raise their fawns. The bucks will discover where the does are spending all of their time.

thickets with little food plots on trails? rye and clover?

you test it and tell me it works. make my life easy.

If I can't say do some of both I'm not going to play :p
You can't say both because I will probably do both. I wanted to know what everyone would pick if they could only choose one.

thickets with little food plots on trails? rye and clover?

you test it and tell me it works. make my life easy.

Exactly what I was thinking!

Food plots on trails = spread out food source. Aren't your deer already spread out enough with the excellent cover and lack of ag. In your situation i would be trying to concentrate the deer to specific areas.

Last two posts have me back on plots.

Lowest hole in bucket. So long as you have both thick cover and food plots as the hole.

With 2 or 3 blockades mixed in and some lines of bedding to sit during the rut.

And open areas for access.

And a couple non hunting neighbors.

And the only water for a couple sections.

Sorry.

Lowest hole in bucket. So long as you have both thick cover and food plots as the hole.

With 2 or 3 blockades mixed in and some lines of bedding to sit during the rut.

And open areas for access.

And a couple non hunting neighbors.

And the only water for a couple sections.

Sorry.
Water everywhere. I am the backside of 11k acre state land so it will be a hike for anyone to get there. My one border with a neighbor is all beaver swamp.

Chummer, how many years have you been plotting on the other place?
This is the fourth year. I started small and have added every year as I cleared the woods to plant apple trees. They are combo plots/orchards.

I would think winter rye would be golden in your area. After your deep snow cover disappears it will be green weeks before anything else. Deer returning to the area should find it and if you can keep food on that plot throughout the summer and fall then sightings during hunting should be good.

Batman is right. I'd pick what you currently don't have.

But no "both" option? That's like a one item buffet. :D

If your plots aren't getting action, I'd set out a sample plot with small patches of many things and a few cameras and let them tell you what they want. I know it's easier said than done.

I ask because it can take a few years for deer to adapt to new foodplots...especially in low density areas and where there was never that kind of food source available before.

I have definitely noticed that. I plant my sugar snap peas in a plot and the deer don't touch them. I have planted beans and they don't touch them. Clover and chicory are my go to plot, along with any sunflowers I plant. Brassicas have done well to but I only usually do one small plot of those a year. Apples are king. Years the trees have apples the deer come from all over. I have some giant old apples that put out hundreds of apples every 4-5 years so new apples have been my focus.

I would think winter rye would be golden in your area. After your deep snow cover disappears it will be green weeks before anything else. Deer returning to the area should find it and if you can keep food on that plot throughout the summer and fall then sightings during hunting should be good.

You would think. I plant it every year and they like it until it is covered. I am surprised every spring when it turns green and they don't touch it. I think the problem is by the time the snow melts other things have begun to pop so they have options.

I'm a big supporter of RO Dogwood too. Deer love it on our place.

^^^turn the 7 acre clearcut in the sanctuary into an apple orchard

I have a neat two tiered, southern facing plateau with a stream at the bottom picked out for the orchard. The opposite side is very steep and the santuary is going to start at the top of that side. Should be a nice short walk to a drink and an apple. It has great access too. The 7 acres I am going to let regen on its own

^^^turn the 7 acre clearcut in the sanctuary into an apple orchard

Whatever food you know to be working 7 miles away will likely function in new junction. As long as its thick throughout the orchard.

How far away do the deer winter?

My guess is 5 miles. This property is almost on the edge of the area that gets 400" of snow. 5 miles east and you are in the 100-150" range. I was there at the end of winter and there was not a track on the property. Now there are deer signs everywhere. I cant wait till the loggers are done so I can put some cameras out. I may find that plots here are a whole different attractant then at my camp. Either way I don't have to worry about feeding them through the winter because they all move out.

I'm a big supporter of RO Dogwood too. Deer love it on our place.

I have tried silky and gray dogwood. Both have taken off in two years. I will give RO a try.

Plant them in plots that will be dormant after you get snow. Oats, clover, alfalfa. Very little brassica, rye or beans. That way the hit your place in the fall and leave by December.