First Harvest pics

aerospacefarmer

5 year old buck +
Here is a pic of the bushel and a half of GingerGold and 3/4 bushel of Chestnut Crab. The Adams County ripening chart says August 12 for Ginger Gold which is a few weeks ahead of where I am in PA. I picked most of the apples from the tree as some were starting to fall and I wont be there or a week. I think some still need to ripen but am happy with the harvest of this early appleIMG_2863.jpg

Looks great Aero. Ginger Golds from NY are available now in FL. A really tasty apple, they are disappearing quickly from my crisper.

Looks great Aero. Ginger Golds from NY are available now in FL. A really tasty apple, they are disappearing quickly from my crisper.
They arent the most flavorful apple but crisp and fresh for sure and for an early apple thats a good sign. Adams County has some exclusive on selling this apple and thats where I got mine. If anyone needs any scion wood from these I have loads

They arent the most flavorful apple but crisp and fresh for sure and for an early apple thats a good sign. Adams County has some exclusive on selling this apple and thats where I got mine. If anyone needs any scion wood from these I have loads

I got mine from Grandpas Orchard--It's only 2nd leaf so a couple more years. It may be a product of where it's grown, but we have found Ginger Gold to be very flavorful, both sweet and tart, with some spice and a really nice crisp texture. I love apple slices dipped in homemade peanut butter, and after several months of no U.S. grown fresh apples, they are a real treat. As far as early dessert apples go, I think Zestar! is the only competition, and I prefer GG.

Aero & Bur - you guys are killing me with those Chestnut Crabs !! Some of you fellas rave about how they taste and I don't have any yet. :( I should have some next year for sure. I think I'm gonna call around to see if any local orchards have any so I can at least try them. If I find any - I'll have to buy a bunch if they're as good as you gents say !!!

Aero & Bur - you guys are killing me with those Chestnut Crabs !! Some of you fellas rave about how they taste and I don't have any yet. :( I should have some next year for sure. I think I'm gonna call around to see if any local orchards have any so I can at least try them. If I find any - I'll have to buy a bunch if they're as good as you gents say !!!

We will be picking tomorrow. Spotted Cow beer, chili, apple crisp, is on the agenda. Head this way.

Fantastic paul & bur!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aero, please post more of your harvest pictures this year!

I got mine from Grandpas Orchard--It's only 2nd leaf so a couple more years. It may be a product of where it's grown, but we have found Ginger Gold to be very flavorful, both sweet and tart, with some spice and a really nice crisp texture. I love apple slices dipped in homemade peanut butter, and after several months of no U.S. grown fresh apples, they are a real treat. As far as early dessert apples go, I think Zestar! is the only competition, and I prefer GG.
Deep sleep I think you just like peanut butter haha. They will make any Apple taste good. My wife and I will be making an apple crostini from Ina Garten cookbook later with a little of both apples. Maybe throw in a stalk of rhubarb for some tartness. Will let you know how it tastes.

Aero, please post more of your harvest pictures this year!
I will be going back to farm Tuesday and the Pixie Crunch and a gorgeous candy apple color Apple should be ripe by then so will get some good pics before and after. My Honeycrisps won't be far behind and my 10 or 11 trees are loaded and should give me a ton of apples. I think I need to find some way to sell some as I can never give that many away to friends, family and neighbors and church members. Just not sure how to go about it. Maybe bring them back home and sell them on honor system outside of my garage Oh well will figure it out or have tons of HC cider

Random question. How do you like your cider press? You have a Happy Valley if I remember correctly? What is its output? Advantages/disadvantages? Would you buy it again? 20 questions I guess. Got the ok to pull the trigger on one.

Random question. How do you like your cider press? You have a Happy Valley if I remember correctly? What is its output? Advantages/disadvantages? Would you buy it again? 20 questions I guess. Got the ok to pull the trigger on one.
Yes I have the Maple Valley and for the way I use it I think it's awesome. You can produce as much as you can grind and crank. Can do a bushel in less than 15 minutes with some help feed I g the grinder. I think it's sturdy and good quality pull the trigger fast lol. I researched a ,it and for the price I think that ins is the best with the 2 baskets

Would you buy the motor for it or do you think it's unnecessary/overkill? I assume one has to assemble it? Cutting it close. Cortland and macintosh are about ready. Anything else I should know?

Overkill but then again I think I am still young lol. If you are doing it solo then it's a good idea. If you have one other then forget it. If your motor is on you can feed by yourself. So use that as your barometer

Nice looking apples Aero - Look forward to seeing more pictures!

image.jpg Here is my harvest from today including Gala almost a bushel, half bushel of Asian pears (hosui) 2 different types of peaches and 2 pecks of Apple falls that I will use for cider. I will post some pics of Honeycrisps which are next to be harvested. Some are getting huge.

image.jpg Apple harvest basket. Very convenient and easy to unload gently into another container

image.jpg Strap over neck and shoulder for easy carry