My best deer apple

KickapooKid#1

5 year old buck +
These 2 beautiful trees are fairly young in my orchard. I grafted them in 2017 from a local tree I’ve been scouting for years. They are the only apples that remain in my mostly mature 18 tree orchard. They are on b118 roots. Raccoon pressure is crazy. All my other trees are picked cleaned and multiple braches snapped by the end of July. I lost count on my chestnut crab this year.

Attachments

• IMG_2639.jpeg
    IMG_2639.jpeg
    645 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_2632.jpeg
    IMG_2632.jpeg
    561.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2638.jpeg
    IMG_2638.jpeg
    326.9 KB · Views: 100
Sounds like my place. I had a couple apple trees this year made their first crop this year. I knocked all the apples off so the coons wouldnt break them down. Seems counterproductive to knock the apples off your trees to save them from the wildlife. So far - got a couple of mature trees with a fairly small crop. Had extremely low temps which really damaged fruiting. Seven weeks now with a single rain. Multiple temps at or above 105. Ever present squirrels and coons. Good thing the deer arent depending on my apples.

You need to get flat stock that is used for roofing and make tubes to go around the stem. Hang the tubes from the first laterals and make the bottom of the tube about 18-24 inches off the ground. The coons can’t climb it or will not try hard enough and move on. I wrapped 140 trees during the COVID 2020 year based on some photos from another post here and it works like a charm. Before that the coons destroyed my trees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to get flat stock that is used for roofing and make tubes to go around the stem. Hang the tubes from the first laterals and make the bottom of the tube about 18-24 inches off the ground. The coons can’t climb it or will not try hard enough and move on. I wrapped 140 trees during the COVID 2020 year based on some photos from another post here and it works like a charm. Before that the coons destroyed my trees.

I have thought about using some hvac metal duct - reckon that would work as well?

This or metak air duct tubes. One can connect various sized tubes to create one that will fit around any tree. I make mine with 24" tubes hanging 12 to 14" off of the ground. Coons haven't climbed any that I've put them on. I also have used 4x8 sheets of heavy plastic and put around trees. It prevents coons and herbicide damage if I spray too close.

These have been a game changer for fruit production and tree survival.

I have thought about using some hvac metal duct - reckon that would work as well?

It would work, BUT the diameter of the duct work is smaller than what you can build out of the flat stock and a rivet gun. Plus the duct work is farm more expensive which was a factor for me doing 140 trees.

I will have to become a full time trapper. I have 2 Cortland tress that are enormous that get picked cleaned by mid July. Alsoforget to mention that it’s my cleanest from disease and bug pressure.

Well, as long as we are morphing into 'racoons'.

I know 'em well.
Too well.

So far, this year...as of 9Sep23.... I have sent to heaven ---43 racoons. Conibears & Tomahawk live trap.

I generally do about 35 to 45 every year.
I cannot 'kill-my-way-out' of my racoon issues. I can only exercise some control.

They get to all of my apples...especially the early ripening ones --Williams Pride, Pristine, Dolgo.

And generally leave my pears alone.*

*Howver, I have a pear tree ...a 'David' that I bought about 18years ago from that 'cold hardy' nursery in Maine (don't know if they are still in business)...anyway, in the last 4 years it has really begun to set fruit. It is loaded in early to mid-July. And then it is all gone in about a week. 4 years in a row.

Oh sure, I trap underneath it...get racoons, possums, and occasional fox squirrel.....but the critters find a way. I looked at it a week ago...September 1st...there is not one single pear on it. And it had a real load...the best year yet....in mid-July.

My other pears, the Kieffers and my seedling and grafted 'locals'......are not bothered by racoons until late December. But that 'David'.....is 'coon candy'.

I used to get paid to shoot squirrels at an orchard near my childhood home. Place had a permit from the state. Had some fun weekends there about 15 years ago.

Others I’ve scoped out and have been watching for 3 years. I feel like these are seedlings of seedlings of seedlings of the original settlers in my area if that makes sense. Ive leaned towards crabs like this to escape all the coon pressure I receive on my full sized apples in July. I have 6 more spots I’m my orchard and all spots will be filled similar type crabs I’ve scouted for years.

Attachments

• IMG_2763.jpeg
    IMG_2763.jpeg
    459 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_2760.jpeg
    IMG_2760.jpeg
    422.3 KB · Views: 43
I forgot to take a picture of the the cherry red crab. It has red flesh and is very tasty yet ridiculously offensive at the same time. Both crabs were still very crisp last weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_2762.jpeg
    IMG_2762.jpeg
    693.7 KB · Views: 46
I will probably end up grafting 5 or so trees every year for the rest of my life for some reason. Lol. Most of these trees are crabs I’ve scouted for years and old reliables like liberty, Enterprise, chestnut crab and Dolgo.

Attachments

• IMG_2843.jpeg
    IMG_2843.jpeg
    357 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_2842.jpeg
    IMG_2842.jpeg
    477.2 KB · Views: 22
Can you post a link to roofing flat stock? Im not sure what you are talking about. Also, if trees are caged, do the coons climb the cage?

kickapoo, what zone are you in? Think that would be a great donor scion for the scion exhcange.

Also, if you like B118, you can get lifetime rootstock if you let a B118 grow about 2 or 3 year, then tip it over to the ground and cover it with woodchips. Be enough shoot for about 10 or so trees for years.

Got a pristine and a 2nd one from turkey creek coming. Darn coons. Not too many around my home, but will find out in a few years for sure.