First Harvest pics

Almost forgot, what are the almost entirely red apples you posted in your last harvest pic? And, your Liberty apples were loaded last year IIRC. Do they bear annually that well?

I was thinking the same thing. I have been pruning pretty aggressively to get my first scaffolds at 5 1/2 or 6 feet. I started a year later than you, and I'm guessing I'm 2 years from those kinds of crops, meaning I lost a year by pruning those lower branches. Your place looks awesome. You didn't want to bore us with pictures. That's funny. Keep them coming. Oh, and if I get desperate enough I may have to send you a check and you can fedex me a block of your homestead cider!
Just let me know haha My cousin from Florida came up last year and just enjoyed the crap out of himself even tho he didn't get one

Just let me know haha My cousin from Florida came up last year and just enjoyed the crap out of himself even tho he didn't get one

A good friend of mine down here is a fishing guide who grew up in NY, moved down when he was a teenager. He comes up with me every year and can't get it out of his mind. I think both of us tear up a little when that October woods smell first hits us every year. This year he is bringing his 8 yo daughter to try to harvest her first deer. It's gonna be awesome.

Nice browse line in that back orchard. Those deer keep them perfectly trimmed at about 5.5 feet.

See he does like to come back. I think he likes the brassicas also. He is one of 3 shooters we have seen so far. I hope you guys enjoyed the tour. My wife is getting the lost out so I am done for nowbigbuck.jpg

Almost forgot, what are the almost entirely red apples you posted in your last harvest pic? And, your Liberty apples were loaded last year IIRC. Do they bear annually that well?
They are some sort of Gala and man are they tasty. My liberties have been struggling after a heavy crop 2 years ago. I will definitely be thinning next year but I am fearful many of my trees wont produce next year do to the over cropping this season. :(

Nice browse line in that back orchard. Those deer keep them perfectly trimmed at about 5.5 feet.
Yes they hit the leaves too even tho there are apples. Good luck to your friends daughter. I am sure she will enjoy no matter the outcome

WOW, Aero !!! Nice place, trees, grass, brassicas, and DEER !!! I PM'd you and will be in touch to slide up there to see your place. Those baskets full of apples and pears, etc. look awesome ! We have 3 Liberty trees planted at camp now and 2 more coming for spring. I can't wait 'til ours look like your pix. We may get our first Liberty and Wolf River apples next year. Your place looks like a magazine cover in the orchard. Great job !!

WOW, Aero !!! Nice place, trees, grass, brassicas, and DEER !!! I PM'd you and will be in touch to slide up there to see your place. Those baskets full of apples and pears, etc. look awesome ! We have 3 Liberty trees planted at camp now and 2 more coming for spring. I can't wait 'til ours look like your pix. We may get our first Liberty and Wolf River apples next year. Your place looks like a magazine cover in the orchard. Great job !!
Ahhh thanks. It's my piece of heaven and I am very proud of it and it's my life now. Nice to hear your great comments. Please come visit

Paul

Thanks for the pics Paul, truly impressive. I remember back when you were just getting started (about the same time I was going balls to the wall with fruit trees in WI) :)

Since you're one of the few of us with many varieties of fruit hitting the ground, have you noticed any preference(s) for one variety over others?
I don't think the deer have a preference from what I can see. Especially this year with so many wild apples on the ground. They sure ate up the dolgos and chestnuts crabs in a hurry as well as the Kerrs.

Nice orchard . I used to hunt in Troy, my brother has a camp in Athens Pa. Is that close to you?
Very very close. I go to Athens for a lot of my seed and Troy is where I bought my tractor. Good deer country. If you come down to hunt again stop by. only 15 minutes from both places

I'm about an hour south of Athens on 220 in Sullivan County. I drive up through that area frequently, on my way to the in laws cabin in the Catskills, and my friend's farm in Otsego County, NY.
Last year I took some sheds to get scored at the Bradford County Trophy Deer and Bear Club annual scoring event. Lots of big bucks from central/northern Bradford brought in.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

I'm about an hour south of Athens on 220 in Sullivan County. I drive up through that area frequently, on my way to the in laws cabin in the Catskills, and my friend's farm in Otsego County, NY.
Last year I took some sheds to get scored at the Bradford County Trophy Deer and Bear Club annual scoring event. Lots of big bucks from central/northern Bradford brought in.

I know exactly where you are from and I get trees every year from the Sullivan County Conservation District who always have great trees fro Boyer or Adams County nurseries at the best price around for small quantities.

Troy ......... boy - it's a small world boys !!! Grover, Canton, Alba, Troy ........ all places where I cut my hunting teeth ( for small game ) with my Dad and uncles !!!! Back in the 60's and 70's that whole area was a GOLD MINE for small game. Rabbits and grouse mainly, but woodcock were not uncommon and in the farms, the occasional pheasant. But the rabbits and grouse were like mosquitoes - all over the place !! Beautiful area in the fall.

Bows

This is the place Come on up and reminisce oh yes and get some great apples and pears lol. This is an awesome place Now it's known as a big buck hunting area .

Paul

I know exactly where you are from and I get trees every year from the Sullivan County Conservation District who always have great trees fro Boyer or Adams County nurseries at the best price around for small quantities.
The conservation district office is about 3 miles up the road from my house, I drive by it every day. The seedling sale does seem to have some good deals for sure. IIRC you are in east Smithfield or near there? At the Bradford county trophy deer and bear club scoring event there were quite a few bruisers from that general area. The biggest buck brought in to be scored was 183" from Forksville in Sullivan, county. Only one of my sheds was found in Bradford county but it was big enough to make 5th in their record book at 63".

Phil - One of my uncles saw the biggest buck of his life outside Shunk (sp.?). That was 40 years ago. He was drooling telling my Dad about the buck - I remember the story vividly. He said he could see the rack from a long way off while driving up a road, and as he got closer, he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He told Dad the rack was so big and thick, it looked like the buck struggled to raise his head. ( I'm sure the deer had no trouble raising his head, probably just an old deer that moved slowly & deliberately !! ). But for him to be so cranked up - a veteran of many years of deer hunting - convinced us it must have been a REAL BRUISER. He re-told that story for years after it happened and always with a look on his face like he had seen God or some other miracle. Genes are pretty good up in that neck of the woods. I guess they still are !!