First Harvest pics

In WI both of those things are considered baiting.

If you take your cage down is that baiting also ?

No, not if you were to remove the cage completely.

Some things just don't make any sense.

Ohhhh yes the yellow jackets are all over it I don't know how the deer can eat that stuff with all the bees buzzing in there Thank god we don't have any pig farmers close or I am sure I would be smelling them lol

I bet you could find a couple people raisng a feeder pig, MMMMmmmmmmm bacon!

Paul, I have an empty carboy ready for fermentation if I could get cider from you.

Aero-could you post a picture of your shredder?

ok guys been away for a few days will get a pic of the shredder and yes I can get you some cider but not sure how much its one of the things that I am able to sell

Paul

Sandbur here is the pic of the shredder on my press. Hope this helps IMG_2951.JPG

Had forum member NE PA QDM (Travis) up to my place today for a tour and some apples. We picked about 4 bushels of apples and he took a few home to make some cider. Just so everyone knows its not only the deer that love apples but as you can see from the pics some other friends of mine like them also. He is also a great hunter cluck cluck LOL. That's Travis in the pic with his awesome labs and I forgot their names already but they are awesome dogsIMG_2959.JPG

Paul, thanks for having me over.

it's a great way to learn about your OWN place to visit someone else's and see what they are doing.

it was also a great encouragement for me to see what can happen after only a few years of hard work (and QDM), both with evidence of bigger deer on the wall after QDM and with seemingly endless bearing apple trees after just a few years of TLC. i was truly impressed by the number of apples and the variety of species.

my favorite species, by far, was the chestnut crab. that is one delicious apple!!!!!!!

and yes tully and topa had a blast today as well. topa likes apples almost as much as his dad (ha!).

keep up the good work and thanks again for the tour of your place, it was beautiful.

It was my pleasure Travis and its great to see some young guys getting involved in this apple game !!!! your dogs were amazing also

It's great to see forum members get together and meet.

Did you build that?

I have to agree with Travis on the chestnut crab.
No it came with the press. Mine is from Happy Valley Ranch in Paola KS happyvalleyranch.com

Yes I know you are one of the biggest proponents of chestnut crabs and they are awesome

Here is the haul from this weeks pickings. 2 bushels of Honeycrisps, 2 bushels that I need help from you guys as to what they are (will take some up close pics) half bushel each of Daybreak Fuji and liberty, a bushel of Freedom some Scarlett O"Haras and bushel of JNC south. Still waiting for Macouns, Enterprise and many othersIMG_2973.JPG

you convinced me (without trying!) to grow some honey crisp. I'm still enjoying yours, and man are they better than the apples you get at the grocery store!

you convinced me (without trying!) to grow some honey crisp. I'm still enjoying yours, and man are they better than the apples you get at the grocery store!
Yes they sure are and thanks. I still probably have 10 more bushels in my trees and my brother took at least a bushel on Sunday. Can't believe the size of some of those. The Fuji's I picked today are pretty awesome and picked a few more bushels of those Maroon colored apples we picked last week

Yes they sure are and thanks. I still probably have 10 more bushels in my trees and my brother took at least a bushel on Sunday. Can't believe the size of some of those. The Fuji's I picked today are pretty awesome and picked a few more bushels of those Maroon colored apples we picked last week

Paul,

What do you do with your apples? As I understand it your not a working orchard its just a labor of love. Do you do a trusting roadside stand by your house? One can only make so much applesauce, cider, pie, jam, butter, etc...

Im asking mostly because in 10 years i'll have 80-100 trees of numerous varieties on b118-antonovka producing bushels upon bushels, lol...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is really the first year with soooo many apples. I have given away all so far to friends, neighbors and church members but yes I will still have tons left over. I am going to find a way to sell some of these if I get a good harvest next year so I will be working that in the offseason. I may do a trust system stand somewhere or try to find someone to buy the bulk who will resell. I will talk to Maya to see if he has any ideas since he is I. The business I could invite you all down and just take what you pick lol