First Harvest pics

Phil - One of my uncles saw the biggest buck of his life outside Shunk (sp.?). That was 40 years ago. He was drooling telling my Dad about the buck - I remember the story vividly. He said he could see the rack from a long way off while driving up a road, and as he got closer, he couldn't believe what he was seeing. He told Dad the rack was so big and thick, it looked like the buck struggled to raise his head. ( I'm sure the deer had no trouble raising his head, probably just an old deer that moved slowly & deliberately !! ). But for him to be so cranked up - a veteran of many years of deer hunting - convinced us it must have been a REAL BRUISER. He re-told that story for years after it happened and always with a look on his face like he had seen God or some other miracle. Genes are pretty good up in that neck of the woods. I guess they still are !!

Yep it's Shunk, PA....the crowned jewel of Sullivan County...lol. Shunk is so "backwoods" its even made fun of by the rest of us Sullivan County folks...haha!
There are some very good bucks taken from that area every year. I know a couple of people with camps out that way and according to them deer numbers are very low in that area now.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

Yeah - poor Shunk. Shunk is even the tongue-in-cheek metropolis on Gary Christman's radio show for some years now. He had a fictional character ( as hillbilly, redneck & backwoods as they come ) as a regular " visitor " on his radio program that hailed from Shunk !!! A hotbed of regional news !! Like " Cornfield County " on Hee-Haw.

Yeah - poor Shunk. Shunk is even the tongue-in-cheek metropolis on Gary Christman's radio show for some years now. He had a fictional character ( as hillbilly, redneck & backwoods as they come ) as a regular " visitor " on his radio program that hailed from Shunk !!! A hotbed of regional news !! Like " Cornfield County " on Hee-Haw.
Yep....I believe it was Cousin Larry from Shunk....consequently Christman isn't welcome in those parts!

Sent from 25 ft up a tree

He's a city boy ....... Don't think he'd venture out to Shunk - or anywhere else in the sticks !!

here is a pic of this weeks harvest which is mostly Honeycrisps 3 bushels a bushel of Cortlands and 2 bushels of some apple I don't know what it is but my neighbor makes applesaucIMG_2950.JPG e out of it and its an awesome apple. Also the final peaches of he season and had already picked 1 and 1/2 bushels of Asian pears that I made pear cider from and then made pear cider vodka martinis omg so good.

I am very happy with my Honeycrisps size this year. this isn't the biggest one but its nice size on right here compared to a huge Wolf River which are typically large apples. A lot of my HC's are weighing almost 3/4 of a poundIMG_2938.JPG

Here is what is left of the Asian pears after grinding and pressing and then gets put out for all the animals to feed on IMG_2942.JPG

So would that be considered normal agriculture practice or baiting....

Nice pix Aero !!! I'll bet the critters gorge on those pear pressings. All the fruit looks real good. That has to be satisfying to get those kinds of results from all the work !! HC's look nice and big. The Cortlands and Wolf Rivers look great as well.

I don't know if I asked you before, but do you have any Ida Reds planted ??

Nice looking apples. Do you sell any apples or just make cider for your own use?

Great apples and other fruit Paul. I know a lot of hours of hard work and care went into them.

Very nice!! Love the look of all that fruit.

Dude!!! Thats awesome! I love Cortlands...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't sold any yet. Give a ton away and make a lot of cider for sure and will make some hard cider. Yes a ton of work has gone in to it. I picked every Apple pear and peach you see and this is probably only 5% of what I still have on the trees as most of my apples are later maturing. It really does give you a great feeling since I never planted any trees before 2007 when I bought 5 pear trees forum lowes just to give the deer some extra food. Now it's crazy. I need to plan a strategy to sell next year. I saw HC's going for 3 bucks a pound in local grocery store so that's like $4.50 for 2 apples. Omg I could retire again if I sold mine at half that price lol. Thanks for al, the nice comments guys. I don't hunt where I put out my pressings in case anyone was wondering

Nice job Aero.

Be careful on yellow jackets where you put those pressings. You know anybody with pigs you could supply them feed in exchange for some bacon? I'd bet they'd love apples.
Ohhhh yes the yellow jackets are all over it I don't know how the deer can eat that stuff with all the bees buzzing in there Thank god we don't have any pig farmers close or I am sure I would be smelling them lol

What do you think?
I would say normal agricultural practice. You made your product and what is left is "waste". Spread back to return nutrients to the ground.

I would say normal agricultural practice. You made your product and what is left is "waste". Spread back to return nutrients to the ground.
I agree even as apples fall however some say that is baiting if you take them out from behind the cages to allow the deer to eat them