Field Peas

MA VT Flatlander

5 year old buck +
I am looking to plant a oat and pea mix in August, will field peas work ? My local coop has field peas but does not have Austrian winter peas.

Yup, 4010(and other) field peas work very well for food plots, they are a bit less tolerant of cold weather than AWP, but the deer will hoover them to the dirt either way, so cold tolerance is likely a moot point. LC recommended them in his mix.

Planting in my cereal grain mix I look for the cheapest peas I can find because they are probably going to get wiped out before ever maturing. Like Whip said I believe the 4010's or any forage peas are good.

Just an observation on my part. I have very few deer as it is BUT for some reason the one time I mixed AWP and frostmaster winter peas (which are different) I had far more of the frostmaster peas left come spring than I did the AWP (leading me to think the deer ate more/liked the AWP more). Not that it was a game changer - but in my lone and single case I did this the deer appeared to eat more of the AWP vs the frostmasters. They where mixed together at about a 50/50 ratio - the guy I get my seed from didn't have a full bag of AWP like I wanted so he cut me a deal on the frostmasters and I gave them a shot. Yes - I have so few deer my AWP even survive thru spring.

You can also mix in soybeans or another warm season legume to help take the pressure off the peas in the early season - I have done that as well. A good frost kills the soybeans.....IF the deer don;t get them all first, but this might by your peas some time as well.

I row plant mine and then broadcast cereal grains and turnips/radish over them for some diversity.

When do you plant AWP ?? Never tried them.

I plant my AWP in the early fall - in my area I plant them labor day weekend or so. I prefer not to plant fall specific plots, but I have in the past when my summer annual (corn) didn't do so well. If you do a few searches on the inter-webs you should be able to find some info one them. AWP by looks are just like other winter peas....the only difference I have seen between winter peas and the AWP is the color of the flower. AWP flower is a purple sort of color while winter peas are typically white. Biggest trick is finding a sweet spot between summer dry/heat (which they don't like) and getting them enough growing time to amount to something for you (which comes for the rains and cooler air temps).

I would NOT make them the mainstay of your plot. Add other winter peas, soybeans, something to help take the pressure off of them. They do OK mixed with brassica and cereal grains as well.

I think I am going to try Bio Logic Winter Peas mixed with oats and winter rye and clover. I have planted brassicas twice in past years deer would not eat them.

I have had poor results with deer eating brassica as well. I planted them for a few years before I had any visible use of them. I really saw a difference when I used radishes. Not sure why, just what I saw. I had planted PTT prior to that without much use at all. My deer still won't mow a plot down of them.....not even close. I tend to have lots of corn and soybeans around as well so - my deer tend to be a bit picky.

If you go the BOB route keep in mind there is considerable difference in seed size. The peas will be nearly the size of a soybean while oats and rye are smaller and clover seed is real small. I would suggest a real good seedbed, broadcast and then pack somehow (even if it means driving over the seed with your tractor or ATV tires) as long as your not crushing the seed. Just broadcasting on un-worked soil I fear the peas may simply feed the birds. Pea is a bigger seed and really needs to be pushed down in to the dirt.

That is the main problem with BOB seed mixes like these. They are thrown together to appease the hunter, not the deer. They mix seeds of uneven size and that require different planting depths and conditions in the hopes that you get lucky and get something to grow in your plot. I would personally try for a planting depth of no less than 1/2" to no more than 1" deep. 3/4" would be ideal for a planting like that, given the seed mixture. Peas = 1" to 2" depth, oats = 1/2" to 1-1/2" depth, rye = doesn't really care, and clover = 1/4" to 3/8" depth. 3/4" should get you in the middle for all of them to have a fighting chance.

I think I am going to try Bio Logic Winter Peas mixed with oats and winter rye and clover. I have planted brassicas twice in past years deer would not eat them.
If you do go this route, we want a full report with pics!;)

I guess I didn't word that well. I think the Bio Logic is a mix of cool season peas. I was going to add oats, winter rye, and clover to it.

BioLogic's Winter Peas™ blend is an additional fall planting of extremely attractive cool tolerant peas that establish quickly and provide lush attractive forage. Whitetails are strongly attracted to this planting and have been known to destroy these plots with browse pressure. This makes Winter Peas an excellent plot for bow season and early rifle season. Their attraction cannot be denied

I guess I didn't word that well. I think the Bio Logic is a mix of cool season peas. I was going to add oats, winter rye, and clover to it.

BioLogic's Winter Peas™ blend is an additional fall planting of extremely attractive cool tolerant peas that establish quickly and provide lush attractive forage. Whitetails are strongly attracted to this planting and have been known to destroy these plots with browse pressure. This makes Winter Peas an excellent plot for bow season and early rifle season. Their attraction cannot be denied
In that case, if it is all peas, plant the oats and the peas together and try for about 1-1/2" deep and pack them in to firm the soil above the seed, then put the rye/clover on top and drag lightly just to cover the seed, no more than 1/4" to 3/8" deep.

FYI - based on a quick inter-webs search for Biologic winter peas - the price your going to pay retail for roughly $20 for 10 lbs.....you can get twice as much seed from a dealer who carries AWP or Frostmaster winter peas for the same price - if that's an option for you. I realize the availability of BOB seed at retailers is pretty handy.

When I planted mine - I row plant the larger seed and then broadcast the smaller seed over the top and then pack it all. You have to get the peas into the ground within reason. Put up an exclusion cage just to monitor the progress and yes - pics and a report would be nice. Try to document how much seed you use and what it is and even the variety if you have that info. Any fertilizer applied and planting method and timing also really helps. I tried to do this as much as I could on my thread "Planting Corn my way" and then provide additional updates as you have time.

There are other seed blends out there as well - Evolved harvest has a product called "Winter PZ" and it is more of a mix like what your talking about that may be of interest to you as well. I have never used this product or have any thing to gain by suggesting it.....it's simply something I recall seeing on the shelf that sounds very similar to what your final target mix is.

I ordered a 50 lb. bag of 4010 pea oat mix from Welters. $21.00 .

I ordered a 50 lb. bag of 4010 pea oat mix from Welters. $21.00 .
Pics of the process and completed project, complete with an exclusion cage......pleassssssssssssseeeeeeeeee!;):D

Sounds like you got a good deal on the price - as long as shipping didn't kill you. But I'm with Wisc - documentation of planting, care and the progress is great.....it actually helps you and others far more than you can realize. Don't be afraid of doing it "right" - do it "your way". I noticed when I do mine for my corn that I am doing this year - I pay more attention tot he details and really question why I do what I do.

I used the 4010 forage peas last year mixed with winter rye and some oats, the deer didn't notice that they weren't AWP

My fall plots have a mix of clover, turnips/radishes, winter wheat, and awp. One thing I added this past year was winter rye grain. I really like this mix as my winter peas this year climbed my rye stocks, and I had some thick ladino clover underneath making for a good spring food plot as well.

My fall plots have a mix of clover, turnips/radishes, winter wheat, and awp. One thing I added this past year was winter rye grain. I really like this mix as my winter peas this year climbed my rye stocks, and I had some thick ladino clover underneath making for a good spring food plot as well.

Do you plant this every year or do you let the clover go for a few years? I am going to do a mix of winter peas, soybeans, oats and winter rye this fall. I like the cereal grains because they take off in the spring and provide some food. I am just wondering if I can repeat this year after year.