CVA vs TC

B

BJE80

Thinking about getting going in ML. Looking at a CVA Optima V2 vs TC Pro Hunter FX. Pro Hunter FX is $600 and the CVA is around $300. Reviews of the CVA V2 are very good and listed as a great bang for the buck but still just a shade under the TC in regards to fit finish and quality. Help me decide.

Keep the extra $300 and buy a better scope.

All I will say is spend the extra $ in either case and go stainless!

I shoot a CVA (wolf model) and have been happy with mine.

If you are willing to spend that $600, I would get an LHR Redemption. Their breechplug design is very slick. Ex TC employees run LHR.
http://lhrsportingarms.com/

Otherwise, you should be happy with the CVA.

All I will say is spend the extra $ in either case and go stainless!

I shoot a CVA (wolf model) and have been happy with mine.

Yes both models I have picked out would be stainless no question.

I've had a stainless cva for 14 odd years. It's a lot heavier than a Tc. Isn't a huge deal hunting the way I do now, but it would be a huge issue on an elk hunt or something.
I also have a noticeable trigger delay compared to the tcs of its time. You really got to follow through on the shot. Not sure if this is still an issue with cva. Thing is accurate though.

The only thing I will add is get the thumb hole stock if possible.

I have had 2 CVA rifles and 3 TC's... still have all 3 TC's...

I have a TC Newenglander percussion in 54 cal and 12 gauge, also a TC Triumph inline. Love em both.

I haven't spent much time with my ML, but it works like a charm for me. I've got a CVA Wolf in .50 Cal. Right outta the box I was hitting a post-it note at a good distance with open sights. For me, it's a once every few years when I have time gun. But, for what I paid to get set up, it did the trick for me.

Ugh..... Same thing I've heard. Lots of TC fans with most people saying CVA is a good gun for the money.

If you are willing to spend that $600, I would get an LHR Redemption. Their breechplug design is very slick. Ex TC employees run LHR.
http://lhrsportingarms.com/

Otherwise, you should be happy with the CVA.

I'm looking at this LHR and it sure does look nice.

Keep in mind, on that gun, I'm a no frills needed guy. It needs to go bang and shoot straight. Not concerned with finish, super long range accuracy, weight, or any of the other high dollar small tangibles. I'm sure there are better guns on the margin, but for a simple smoke pole, this is my pick. Haven't used anything else, but it met my expectations.

Is there anything in the specs of the guns that justify the price difference? One is twice the price of the other. Modern manufacturing methods are fairly competitive so the extra expense should equate to some sort of perceived additional "value" - if it's simply TC marketing/branding then you have to figure out if that is worth it to you.

TC is made in the US and generally considered to be higher quality than CVA.

Is there anything in the specs of the guns that justify the price difference? One is twice the price of the other. Modern manufacturing methods are fairly competitive so the extra expense should equate to some sort of perceived additional "value" - if it's simply TC marketing/branding then you have to figure out if that is worth it to you.

As of now it doesn't seem like it to me. Many people are very very happy with their CVA. If people were generally unhappy then I would pass.

I guess I need to be that guy... I had a CVA Firehawk inline that had .45 and .50 cal barrels and after trying 6 different bullets and powder loads would be lucky to hit a 5 gallon bucket at 40 yards. I had 3 different scopes on it and even tried the open sights and it pretty much just hit where it wanted. I tried both barrels... I took the scope off and sold the gun cheap. I bought it brand new at Basspro.

The other CVA I had was an old side hammer with a musket cap. When you would shoot it the backflash/powder residue from the cap would blind you in the right eye if you didn't have glasses on...

I guess I need to be that guy... I had a CVA Firehawk inline that had .45 and .50 cal barrels and after trying 6 different bullets and powder loads would be lucky to hit a 5 gallon bucket at 40 yards. I had 3 different scopes on it and even tried the open sights and it pretty much just hit where it wanted. I tried both barrels... I took the scope off and sold the gun cheap. I bought it brand new at Basspro.

The other CVA I had was an old side hammer with a musket cap. When you would shoot it the backflash/powder residue from the cap would blind you in the right eye if you didn't have glasses on...
How long ago was this Okie?

The Firehawk was 4 years ago... It was my wifes ML I had bought her as a gift. Day before ML season began I had to run to Wal Mart and get her a gun. I bought a TC Omega Black on Black for her and it has shot like a dream right out of the box. I liked it so much I bought myself a Grey Laminate/Stainless Omega that is absolutely amazing on accuracy. If they told us next year we can't use centerfire rifles any longer I would not feel like I was handicapped with that rule. I have fired twice at deer (both big) and both bit the dirt right there...

TC made a firehawk model. I don't believe CVA ever made a firehawk.

From everything I read, it looks like CVA had improved their designs and quality compared to 10 or 20 years ago. It becomes somewhat of a chevy/Ford or Remington/Savage debate on if one is really better. And you always have a chance of getting a bad one.