2023 Scion Exchange

I've got 500 1/4" rootstocks coming this spring. Does anyone have any abundance of Honeycrisp they'd be willing to sell me? I do have some varieties available for trading. I just got my greenhouse up and looking forward to stocking it full of apple trees this spring.
Holy moly! Curious how this project turned out for you? That’s a lot of grafting.

Finally a question on here that I actually know the answer to! I sent him 30 feet of Honeycrisp scions and on March 28, he reported having finished all that bench grafting.

Good shoutout to sandbur and oak nut. Scons they gave me mostly held up on antonovka and M111. Kinda wierd, thesome of the ones I planted outside instead of a pot inside took untl mid june to bud out.

Oe of the scions is redfield. I hear mixed reviews about cedar apple rust resistance. I was looking for a companion crabapple for sauce and cide in early november ripening. Got enterprise, black arkansas, blue pearmain, and maybe granny smith will be mture enough in my zone 5/6 edge to make good apples. A red fleshed would be nice. Not sure if kerr, cranberry, or chestnut will have decent fresh apples in november.

Same thing goes for wickson, some say cedar apple rust gives issues, some say its ok. I have harrison and franklin cder growing too. Doubt 30-06, droptine, or crossbow will be any good to add to.

Guys on here sent me a lot of varieties this year. I appreciate that. Blue Hill didn't have any Dolgo seedlings available for bench grafting this past spring, so I ordered "Failure to Thrive" strain Dolgo seedling rootstock from another nursery and grew scions in pots this year instead of trees. I've been out planting them and when I turn the pots over while holding onto the tree trunks, all the potting mix falls to the ground and I end planting them as bare root. I'm not going to post the name of the nursery I got the rootstock from, as it is probably owned by a small business owner. Send me a private message if you need to know where I got that rootstock.

Reading all the posts about planting fruit trees and grafting whets my appetite. I have wanted to plant persimmon trees in clearings in my woods for a while. But everything I read says it takes years for them to produce. Maybe grafting is the quickest way for me to get producing trees. Any advice would be appreciated,

Unfortunately, grafting named cultivars onto rootstock only shaves a year off the time to fruit. Persimmons have long tap roots so you can't buy large trees from nurseries like you can apple trees. But you will still want to graft to get what you want since ~70% of persimmons are going to be male.

Reading all the posts about planting fruit trees and grafting whets my appetite. I have wanted to plant persimmon trees in clearings in my woods for a while. But everything I read says it takes years for them to produce. Maybe grafting is the quickest way for me to get producing trees. Any advice would be appreciated,
Do have native trees on the property? If you have native saplings to graft over, you can start seeing fruit in a couple of years. Grafting seedlings that you plant is still the long game.

This is a three year old graft, onto wild sapling, starting to produce.
20230729_133234_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
Native trees? Like oak, sweet gum, dogwood? I have plenty of those especially the sweet gum and oaks. Also, how does one know that a cutting will produce a male or female tree? Do the persimmons require a female and a male to pollinate?
I have a plum tree in my orchard that produces plums but throws off the plums before they ripen, why?
My pear tree has loads of fruit every year. Can I take cuttings from it and graft onto saplings in the woods?

Native trees? Like oak, sweet gum, dogwood? I have plenty of those especially the sweet gum and oaks. Also, how does one know that a cutting will produce a male or female tree? Do the persimmons require a female and a male to pollinate?
I have a plum tree in my orchard that produces plums but throws off the plums before they ripen, why?
My pear tree has loads of fruit every year. Can I take cuttings from it and graft onto saplings in the woods?
Sorry..should have asked do you have native persimmon trees and persimmon saplings on the property.

Okie dokie! That clears up some muddy water. Gotta have some native persimmon trees to graft onto, right? Nope, none on my property. I was hoping that I could graft onto an oak sapling and have a persimmon tree grow from that.

After doing some reading, grafting is mostly done onto root stock of like trees, ie: persimmon to persimmon, apple to apple, etc. looks like I just need to buy some trees and plant them.

Okie dokie! That clears up some muddy water. Gotta have some native persimmon trees to graft onto, right? Nope, none on my property. I was hoping that I could graft onto an oak sapling and have a persimmon tree grow from that.
Yes they need to be persimmon seedling to graft to them. I’d crown release your best producing oak trees first then any other oaks you have unless your property is solid oak trees then I’d just focus my efforts on crown releasing the historically best producing trees. Some persimmon seedlings from one of the state nurseries will not be grafted but very cheap to buy and get in the ground you can always graft them latter over to known female scion wood if there are to many male trees.

Good advice and I already have plans to do some thinning. My basil count is too high.
Yeah, I will just order some nursery trees to plant.

Grafting looked like something new to learn that had a gratifying result.

Grafting looked like something new to learn that had a gratifying result

Grafting looked like something new to learn that had a gratifying result.
I went down the grafting rabbit hole last year. Was fun and rewarding. I have some posts on it here.

Talk to @Turkey Creek here. He has a tree farm and has given me some great advice. May consider buying persimmon rootstock he advises that would do well in your area and graft several varieties to them this spring. Baby them at home in a root pouch or in ground, then plant them at farm in fall or next spring. You could be producing fruit in 3-4 years.

Will do, thanks