2023 Scion Exchange

I've got 500 1/4" rootstocks coming this spring. Does anyone have any abundance of Honeycrisp they'd be willing to sell me? I do have some varieties available for trading. I just got my greenhouse up and looking forward to stocking it full of apple trees this spring.

Looking for persimmon scions to buy of good tasting American varieties or hybrids. Live in NC zone 7B. Thanks and have a great day.

Got a bunch of extra scion material, some are compliments of sandbur and oaknut

Apples
-kerr
-crossbow
-30-06

a twig of gin and seckel pear

Last edited:
Looking for persimmon scions to buy of good tasting American varieties or hybrids. Live in NC zone 7B. Thanks and have a great day.
I had a couple really nice forum members send me some different types of persimmon scions for me to graft. Thank you all very much!

I know this may be a long shot, but does anyone have any paw paw scion wood? Just looking for a stick or two of any named variety.

Any Lockdown Crab scions out there? I ordered two from Blue Hill, but I received Sweet Dog by accident instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will potted apple trees accept scions just as successfully as trees well established in soil?

Will potted apple trees accept scions just as successfully as trees well established in soil?

Theoretically, yes.

Im looking for some persimmon scions to graft

Im in East Texas zone 8a

thanks

bill

Acorn1,

make sure you open up the root ball on those trees. Otherwise they wont grow well or handle wind events. Even if you have to trim some of the roots before planting. That tree is going to be a twisted up mess of roots in regular pots. Almost better off putting them in the ground, even if for a year or two.

I have pear scion left over, maybe thirty sticks. Don't have time to piece them out, if someone wants it all, I will send it free. Contains at least one stick of all:
Luscious
Dutchess De angloume
Clara frijs
Honey sweet
Harrow sweet
Winter nellis
Ayers
Golden russet bosc
Keifer
Bartlett
Comice

I have pear scion left over, maybe thirty sticks. Don't have time to piece them out, if someone wants it all, I will send it free. Contains at least one stick of all:
Luscious
Dutchess De angloume
Clara frijs
Honey sweet
Harrow sweet
Winter nellis
Ayers
Golden russet bosc
Keifer
Bartlett
Comice

I would love them for my Callery project.

I would love them for my Callery project.
Do you have an address here in the states I could send them too?

AvidSlacker. I am in NEO 50 mi south of Cleveland. I would love to get some of the Barbara Blush this fall. I love the American persimmon don't really like the Asian Persimmons.

Taking a long shot here, I'm looking for some pear branches for t-budding. I put someOHxF-97 in the veggie garden 2 springs ago with the intent of top working them this past spring and life got in the way so now I'm looking for some material to t-bud with. I'm not having any luck finding any commercial sources so I figured I'd check here.

In particular I'm looking for Korean Giant, Olympic and Moonglow but realize I can't be picky at this point. I'm in the Twin Cities area of MN and am willing to drive a bit to pick them up, not sure if shipping is even an option with the weather coming up this week?

Thanks in advance!

I still have some Kiefer scion in the fridge you’re welcome to but it’s been in there so long it’s even breaking bud some I just looked at it today. Could pack it with a cold pack or something to ship maybe??

Looks like you're looking for eating varieties. I also have a kieffer I bought from the big box store. It's unsure what it wants to be, central or open center.

I suggest you give gin pear a shot. It drops in november. Not good for eating as I have read, but I have it for hard cider addition. Possibly some pear vodka maybe too.

Since we're on the topic of Scins in August.... Anyone do any late summer grafting or plan to? I have a bunch of bareroot apple / crabapples from Willis that got bigger this summer as well as some Antonovka that the rabbits trashed last fall.

I don' need scions, but could use advise if it's too late to graft a couple. I have all the scion material I need from other trees.

Do you graft live scion with some leaves? I am in zone 5 borderline zone 6 because I am near a large river that keeps the valley from frosting over too soon.

It's not too late to do t-bud grafting. I did it last year with pears. I'm trying it this year with mulberry and persimmon.

Thanks b116757 but I'll pass on it the if the buds are breaking. My understanding is that the buds need to be from this year's new growth and dormant?

Bigboreblr, it is definitely not too late graft this year. This links says you can chip bud into early september, and it's a University of Wisconsin website so they know winter. https://fruit.wisc.edu/2020/07/09/preparing-for-late-summer-budding-procedures/

And no, I don't believe that you summer graft anything with leaves on it. You only want a dormant bud (where next year's leaves will sprout from). I tried a few t-bud grafts last year and got one to take - for some reason my parafilm started failing on most of them before the grafts could heal. Nothing really happens in the fall to let you know that the graft "took", but it is obvious if the graft for sure failed because it basically turns black and dies. You don't know for sure if it works or not until spring when the bud comes to life. Or not.

Another link - https://www.cumminsnursery.com/lear...ow-to-summer-bud-a-tree-t-buds-and-chip-buds/