Crabapple timeline

Don't see much about mn1734 on here. Good to know. I have one planted... somewhere. But still too young to do much.

Another of my one off trees Harrison cider finally got old enough and has some fruit this year after several years of just a few small clusters. Has a bit of sooty blotch but they are all hanging tight yet. When it looks like a few have fallen I should check them

The ranetka seedlings a couple have all dropped in last couple weeks while several others are still hanging tough. The best of them slow drops from Labor day into mid October
I like those russets. I have a Golden Russet that hasn’t fruited. The center leader broke out of it.

0F57273C-3EBD-47EC-92D5-69E3F7AF0F79.jpeg222C30CE-1C0F-42F1-9554-4DB48208601D.jpeg
This is the seedling I cal Sweet Dog. I topworked it on a dolgo rootstock in 2020.

The fruit is larger than normal. Probably due to it being a young tree.

Here is my Franklin cider on b118. Turned out to be a great tree for me. I gave it a little shake and about dozen fell off. Sw Wisconsin

Here is my Franklin cider on b118. Turned out to be a great tree for me. I gave it a little shake and about dozen fell off. Sw Wisconsin

Attachments

• IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    658.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_3533.jpeg
    IMG_3533.jpeg
    477.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_3534.jpeg
    IMG_3534.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 26
The fruit on my tree looks similar. I top worked it this spring to another crab, but still have some nurse limbs left.

ACFBE04C-F93A-4EB7-ACDA-B5890EC1984B.jpeg
First drop and first taste of this russet.

Dense flesh with a pear like flavor. I like the two russets I have tried.

Red Baron, Haralred, and Haralson are dropping. They are showing a slow drop.

Sweet Dog is getting tasty and most fruit is still hanging tight.8E46496D-6004-430E-BFAA-B046A2BE7511.jpeg

I got that after tree order feeling to order more. MN1734 was on that short list.

Kickapookid,

Whats your impression of that franklin cider for deer? Did you get some apples last year. When do they like to drop? What's the coldest that tree has seen since planted you think? Got one at home zone 5/6. Considering using scion material to topwork some antonovka in zone 3/4. Reaction has been somewhat so-so from various members on this site.

I got that after tree order feeling to order more. MN1734 was on that short list.

Kickapookid,

Whats your impression of that franklin cider for deer? Did you get some apples last year. When do they like to drop? What's the coldest that tree has seen since planted you think? Got one at home zone 5/6. Considering using scion material to topwork some antonovka in zone 3/4. Reaction has been somewhat so-so from various members on this site.
I am not the Kickapoo kid, but my Franklin survived the last two winters. Last winter was mild and snow was deep the winter before, so we haven’t had a real test case winter. I am in zone 4A. Used to be 3b.

Haralred, Haralson, and Sweet Dog are dropping now. Chestnut crab is about done dropping.

My daughter tasted Sweet Dog and said she rates it as one of her favorites with a kindercrisp.
8A2C0EE1-5ABF-4B6B-8CC1-69904F19288C.jpeg

bwoods11,

what is that yellow crab? Looks pretty good.

Got tons n tons of yellow jackets, so yellow fruit might be better at the house here. Had to dust sevin in my siding in two different locations. They were starting a nest in the sding and chewing the plywood up a bit.