Crabapple timeline

Great pics, as usual, Bur!
The Dolgo trees we have at camp are solid red color. Those in your pic are striped. Have you seen any other Dolgo that have stripes? I know seedlings can all vary - our Dolgo trees are grafted. Wondering about taste differences - you notice any?
Most of the dolgo seedlings eventually turn dark red to purple. Apple size, drop time, and CAR resistance vary.

There are taste differences.

I tried a Centennial crab yesterday. Tasty little thing! I’ve got one more to try next weekend.

Sandbur, it looks like I’ve got some Buckman apples. When do they typically ripen or fall for you?
4035C6D3-B44B-48B8-B489-B3C527A15FE3.jpeg
One page from my notes indicates it started to drop on 10-16-19. I have a picture somewhere of it carrying crab apples well into winter.

I suspect this drop time varies with heat units and the length of the growing season.

View attachment 67675
One page from my notes indicates it started to drop on 10-16-19. I have a picture somewhere of it carrying crab apples well into winter.

I suspect this drop time varies with heat units and the length of the growing season.
15AA2F6B-D4BE-404C-BD0A-3F72AE9231A2.jpegB2E757D0-C590-4603-86ED-DA8A047FFB54.jpeg

They any good to eat or just deer food?

They any good to eat or just deer food?
I haven’t really sampled any during the late October period, but do consider them just for deer. The old tree is in a NoGo area until rifle season opens in early November and I usually do not go back there.

I now have one close to my house with fruit on it. Small Chunk grafted it for me.

I haven’t really sampled any during the late October period, but do consider them just for deer. The old tree is in a NoGo area until rifle season opens in early November and I usually do not go back there.

I now have one close to my house with fruit on it. Small Chunk grafted it for me.
I’ll try anything once. All-winter hangover was actually pretty good. I was a little surprised by that. Figured they’d be deer only crabs.

Here's my first Chestnut Crab and it's one little apple. I'm dying to try it, but don't want to pick it too early. How much longer should I wait?

Attachments

• 20240823_161419.jpg
    20240823_161419.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 20
Here's my first Chestnut Crab and it's one little apple. I'm dying to try it, but don't want to pick it too early. How much longer should I wait?
My apple consultant once told me that if you gently tip an apple and it comes loose from the tree, it is ripe. That doesn’t apply to all apples, but is a decent guideline.

Chestnut flavor does change with time in my climate.

My Trail is also Bilodeau and I need to check the label to see where it is from and when it was planted. I might have lost the tag. Deer or coon sometimes pull the tags off of the cages.

It only had 4 or 5 crabs and is about ten foot tall.
Thx for taking the time to try to answer my questions.

So hot and muggy put off a trip to go look at more apples at the land today. Turning it a wimp compared to my younger days working down south but later this week the highs will be 10-15 degs cooler so will wait.

Bet the corn is liking this stuff tho so let the farmers have their day.

Thx for taking the time to try to answer my questions.

So hot and muggy put off a trip to go look at more apples at the land today. Turning it a wimp compared to my younger days working down south but later this week the highs will be 10-15 degs cooler so will wait.

Bet the corn is liking this stuff tho so let the farmers have their day.
I went today and looked at the Trailman tag. Getting old and couldn’t remember which you asked about.

I picked apples for my neighbor/ renter and for the mail lady. It was hot.

I went today and looked at the Trailman tag. Getting old and couldn’t remember which you asked about.

I picked apples for my neighbor/ renter and for the mail lady. It was hot.
The tag is gone so we are lying on my memory as to which tree was Bilodeau( Trail).

B118 is dropping. No picture.

A75284EF-5265-4A93-8A4C-882E1C37C5D1.jpeg
Chestnut crabs are headed for applesauce in the morning.

Red Baron are dropping. Almata continues a slow drop.

2BEDDC09-9F2C-4324-A853-6203D80B059C.jpeg
Similar I shape but chestnut tastes much better.

Martha may improve as it wasn’t real ripe.

623934B6-5050-4510-B0F1-EE1FBDB7F9BE.jpeg
I had my first home grown Honeygold. It dropped off of a franken tree.

That's a nice clean looking honeygold, mine often have sooty blotch. But an awful early drop as normally an Oct ripening apple around here and they can hang a decent time past that

A friend of a friend asked me to graft a few trees for her this past spring. Having never seen it before, I drove past this week. I was quite impressed with the size & taste of the fruit. Kind of glad I grafted one for myself. IMG_8523.jpeg

Couple crab apple trees in front of the Remer clinic. They are loaded with decent sized apples. Think I took this picture on 9/2.

IMG_2437.JPEG