Crabapple timeline

ECDCF9C1-4903-4715-95AB-D8DC31F66B17.jpeg319A8421-C6D2-49D8-8027-60974611D907.jpeg
Noran is thicker skinned than Breakey. It needs a few more days for a good toast test, but was decent now.

I think these two apples are from the Canadian Provinces apple breeding program. I have a few apples on a Norkent that I hope to taste test.

Lee 37 was a root graft on dolgo, but has no fruit yet. That was my first and only root graft.

What’s dropping now in the center of Minnesota?

Zestar , Prairie Magic, and Hazen are dropping. It looks to me like the deer prefer Trailman Crab. Grafted dolgo has also started to drop.3997E260-FA49-4AD0-8A52-D93254320B64.jpeg

7A56B589-B4AC-4B08-B07D-5C268C343F23.jpeg
Trailman and Dolgo applesauce have been one of our projects. Some dolgo was also made into jelly or juice to can for jelly at a later day.

Fourteen bags of apple pie mix are in the freezer from a mixture of apples.

B7AA3D3B-DAC7-4256-AE6C-043E70FABABD.jpeg
Just an update on some of the other crabs and apples I sampled. These are not dropping yet.

D3B54C48-F41B-4DB6-B93A-8D58182DB881.jpeg
The first taste of Norkent that I remember. Maybe an apple or two last year. A pretty decent tasting apple.

3A48CD14-C068-4F95-89D8-BB0AFF08F787.jpeg7BCA771B-994C-4DE1-AD1D-51240A4B6E3D.pngFrom Pomiferous. I only have a few apples on Northland. My old memory tells me that the GRIN website said it was very hardy for northern Minnesota.

Farmstead plums and Red Baron apple seem to be running late this year. Other apples seem to be about one week early.

Chestnut Crab is getting close to the point where we will make some applesauce.

I also have 3 or 4 bags of apples in the freezer to make a cider blend at a later date.

Checked a chestnut crab several days ago and was still firmly attached to tree so did not pick to check how dark the seeds are. As you mentioned, should be pretty soon tho. Did not see any under the Whitney tree, but maybe the deer are quicker than I am, lol

Really like the size and look of that Geneva crab. Any good for two legged critters?

My Trail (Bilodeau) crab are from SLN and would guess on anty or some other full size seedling rootstock. Taking some time to grow and resulting fruit. About how long after planting did yours start blooming?

On the apple cider subject. Was at a hazelnut field day in NE WI this week and the fella also was into his apples. He had some snacks and apple cider at the end that was pretty tasty. Blend of honey crisp, nova spy, king David, liberty, and scarlet O'Hara. Again was very tasty so bought a frozen gallon from him.
Was labeled as UV light treated but not heat pasteurized.

Checked a chestnut crab several days ago and was still firmly attached to tree so did not pick to check how dark the seeds are. As you mentioned, should be pretty soon tho. Did not see any under the Whitney tree, but maybe the deer are quicker than I am, lol

Really like the size and look of that Geneva crab. Any good for two legged critters?
It’s not tasty at all, but I like the color.

My Trail (Bilodeau) crab are from SLN and would guess on anty or some other full size seedling rootstock. Taking some time to grow and resulting fruit. About how long after planting did yours start blooming?
My Trail is also Bilodeau and I need to check the label to see where it is from and when it was planted. I might have lost the tag. Deer or coon sometimes pull the tags off of the cages.

It only had 4 or 5 crabs and is about ten foot tall.

On the apple cider subject. Was at a hazelnut field day in NE WI this week and the fella also was into his apples. He had some snacks and apple cider at the end that was pretty tasty. Blend of honey crisp, nova spy, king David, liberty, and scarlet O'Hara. Again was very tasty so bought a frozen gallon from him.
Was labeled as UV light treated but not heat pasteurized.
I like a large portion of chestnut crab in the cider, especially when chestnut crab is getting towards water core.

I once bought a small jug of chestnut crab ice ( hard) cider. Tasty stuff!

Great pics, as usual, Bur!
The Dolgo trees we have at camp are solid red color. Those in your pic are striped. Have you seen any other Dolgo that have stripes? I know seedlings can all vary - our Dolgo trees are grafted. Wondering about taste differences - you notice any?

I tried a Centennial crab yesterday. Tasty little thing! I’ve got one more to try next weekend.

Sandbur, it looks like I’ve got some Buckman apples. When do they typically ripen or fall for you?