Crabapple timeline

Sandbur,

Whats your favorite early season trees. Put a gamable on pristine, leaves are loaded with orange rust. I was going to move a trailman I grafted 2 years ago up north, but that one is staying at home. Got a few of your favorites already chestnut and kerr. MY early tree so far are williams pride, 2 pristine's, that trailman, and maybe cranberry. Main staple trees are 3 galarinas, 2 enterprises, 2 liberty, macoun, NY-414 (liberty), 2 empires, freddom, Mcintosh, and a Golden Delcious.

Williams pride is susceptible to cedar apple rust. I do spray, but focus is on insect control. Early season oil spray, some years a fungicide for rust early on apple and cedar trees here, and 3-4 sprays for bugs.

Wanted redfree maybe priscilla. Mostly apple sauce, some baking, can pass on making cder early. LAte August would be nice zone 5/6 near a large river to keep frosts at bay.

Sandbur,

Whats your favorite early season trees. Put a gamable on pristine, leaves are loaded with orange rust. I was going to move a trailman I grafted 2 years ago up north, but that one is staying at home. Got a few of your favorites already chestnut and kerr. MY early tree so far are williams pride, 2 pristine's, that trailman, and maybe cranberry. Main staple trees are 3 galarinas, 2 enterprises, 2 liberty, macoun, NY-414 (liberty), 2 empires, freddom, Mcintosh, and a Golden Delcious.

Williams pride is susceptible to cedar apple rust. I do spray, but focus is on insect control. Early season oil spray, some years a fungicide for rust early on apple and cedar trees here, and 3-4 sprays for bugs.

Wanted redfree maybe priscilla. Mostly apple sauce, some baking, can pass on making cder early. LAte August would be nice zone 5/6 near a large river to keep frosts at bay.
It is hard for me to answer a question in different climates. Cedar apple rust is a seasonal problem here and our current dry period leads to little on leaves.

My earliest apple is Norland and I have picked it in late July on occasional years.

Trail is definitely a favorite for August. I would say Chestnut for September.

Many of the varieties you mention, I have no experience with.

Sandbur,

I definitely have not been impressed with my Pristine as far a disease and growth habit for wildlife. It’s also biennial. It will be the next one to be top worked if I get to it next year. I already started turning my honeycrisp to a Liberty. I’m Thinking about trail man or another old reliable like enterprise in my area. SW Wisconsin. I might pick Enterprise overall for favorite workhorse appple. It seems just a bit more insect resistant especially on the curculio side of things. Florina has been doing very well for me also.

I definitely have not been impressed with my Pristine as far a disease and growth habit for wildlife. It’s also biennial. It will be the next one to be top worked if I get to it next year. I already started turning my honeycrisp to a Liberty. I’m Thinking about trail man or another old reliable like enterprise in my area. SW Wisconsin. I might pick Enterprise overall for favorite workhorse appple. It seems just a bit more insect resistant especially on the curculio side of things. Florina has been doing very well for me also.
I got a camp in zone 3 adirondacks and share 8 acres between myself and my inlaws at home. 8 acres is quite open, but see daily deer activity. Got about 40-45 trees. Plenty of good fall and winter ones. Just want 2 or 3 good early season ones. Not every year, but every other or third I try to get a buck at home. Takes alot of patience. Does are easy. Jsut want some good summer apple picking, so I can keep the place quieter during october / november.

MY pristines have some sort of yellowing on the leafs, looks like maganese deficiency. One pristine is growing ok, the other I planted this year is like at close to zero growth. It leafed out and the leafs look somehwat decent, besides that 2 tone yellow green thing. Soil pH is lower 5 in that spot likely. Putting about 3/4 ton a year ontop of the soil. The soil around the apple trees is lawn, except for a few on the food plot edge.

A little less yellow than these in the picture. And of course cedar apple rust ontop of it. Likely topwork one of them, or may replace the entire tree next year, or move to a purgatory spot. to make room for a trailman.

Maganese can be high pH, cold wet soil, and high organic matter. I got low 5's pH, so it's not that. Do have drainage issues I mitigated with channels in the lawn and my soil is about 5% organic material I even added more in some spots. Although pristine is a bloom group 4, I do recal its one of the earliest to leaf out of market apples. The first leaves of the year are more yellow. They say the ntureint is tougher to get out of the soil at low temps and wet.

This tree might give me a window into future problems with other trees. Zinc problems can show similar chlorosis.

Last edited:
I have two 20 year old Redfree loaded this year. They were watered and pruned for first 3 years and never sprayed or touched since. They have been dropping and the ground is worn down to dirt beneath them. We like the taste and eat them often although they are not perfect. I would recommend anyone to plant at least one. I will try to get pic and post

I ate my first apple of the season. A nice red Norland was on the ground and I grabbed it.

I ate my first apple of the season. A nice red Norland was on the ground and I grabbed it.
I recall you had tummy aches from too many last year........

To add more discontent with my pristine, the top half of the tree was devoured by a flock of hairless tan with black head catepillars. Sprayed malathion on the tree and niehgbors and picked up what I could. Pretty sure codling moth ones. chlorosis looks even worse on older leaves, newer seems ok.

Pristine also has weak and brittle wood in my experience.

I recall you had tummy aches from too many last year........

To add more discontent with my pristine, the top half of the tree was devoured by a flock of hairless tan with black head catepillars. Sprayed malathion on the tree and niehgbors and picked up what I could. Pretty sure codling moth ones. chlorosis looks even worse on older leaves, newer seems ok.
Ha! Apple sauce can remind you of apple season but all year long!

View attachment 65801
My older chestnut crab trees throw off shoots from 4-10 feet from the trunk. This one has been mowed off several times.

In my younger days, I dug these up with a piece of root and they grew into trees that produce a 3/4 inch dolgo type fruit. I suspect the rootstock s are dolgo or Siberian seedlings. These trees came from Bailey’s who supplies most nurseries in Minnesota.

I do not see this happening with Anty or B118 rootstock .

Most of those rootstock trees from sprouts have now been topworked.

I have decided that it is time I stop planting trees, at almost 70 years of age.
3C64AF55-1AF4-44AB-ACDF-75282C7AEDE6.jpeg556569E1-0BB4-4D8A-9867-6AD843C9B322.jpeg
In 2021, I topworked Big Dog on one of the rootsuckers that had been in the ground for 8?? Or so years.

EB758154-58B6-42F5-8727-C7603DFFBB2D.jpeg
This Big Dog was grafted on a root sucker from a wild swamp crab. I have several of these. I should have checked the year for the year i top worked.

49837165-E182-4821-A9A1-CDE9E3717783.jpeg
Right on schedule!

Attachments

• C8F5C853-C72F-489F-92A1-9A006CC624B0.jpeg
    C8F5C853-C72F-489F-92A1-9A006CC624B0.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 1
375CDA25-E2BD-43D6-B5FA-94653BCBECEC.jpeg
I need to get out and pick them as they get soft very fast.