Crabapple timeline

sanbur,

I hunted many cornfields. Thats the best lookin one so far.

You can spray copper fungicide on your cedars. Virtually all of my new tree are low to no cedar apple rust. Exception being a golden delicious, mcintosh, and droptine. I haven't sprayed my cedars this year and may not. But whe I do, those blobs almost disappear. Between the road and the pool is a spot of land with the shale close to the top. Cedars are doing very well as a rpivacy screen. Wife would murder me If I cut them. She's nuttier about her pool than I am about hunting fishing and food plottin'.

Repant disease. It's not quite a virus or bacteria thing. Although these pathogens take advantage of plant stresses. A neighboring fruit farmer I talk to has an opnion about it. IF your too quick to prep a site. Liming, fertilizing, tillage. You o it close to planting time, the trees dont like it. You do it month or months before, they like it alot better. He tries to have something growing on the ground when he plants, grass etc. Almost thinks ithe soil gets too much oxygen. He does both traditional orchard and modern trellis, and still plants traditonal orchards as well, although smaller trees like M7 and g890. Trellis systems you have to monitor the watering system carefully, espcially the ends.

Best results I have seen for me has been use alot of peat moss in my heavy clay soil, till in lime, but wait a few months to plant. I still use agriform tablets, but wonder if they're not too good for heavy clay soil. I usually get a big blob of a deep rooting weed whe I use them. I big my hole, then push a stick making a few holes all point downward. I put the tabelts as deep in as I can. MY old tablet would be about 6 inch in the ground toward the side. Now I do maybe 12-18 inches deep. I break up that deeper soil by digging out what I rortill, then dig in more. Mixing up that harder more orangish clay with some of the stuff on the top and some peat moss and compost. But, giving the ground times to compact it back some.
728409AB-FA2A-461E-A6C2-E0C4A9B3E467.jpeg
My neighbor is a dairyman and he rents my land. He plants the corn plots for me and also has about 30 acres of new seeding alfalfa that corners on my woods.

View attachment 64795
My neighbor is a dairyman and he rents my land. He plants the corn plots for me and also has about 30 acres of new seeding alfalfa that corners on my woods.
09665714-A6C4-4F44-B7D4-63E445D65008.jpeg
He has some corn planted south of the new seeding and then about 100 yards of an older alfalfa stand below that.
He said he left that for the deer for now. He might take it out later.

There is a string of crab apples behind those willows, right of center in the picture.

So.......... When's opening day. Actually I planted (2) 30-06 and a kerr in one spot, and blue pearmain and enterprise in another spot. The 30-06 / kerr will be bow only season, too many gun season trespassers in that lot. Got a little spot for my trailer in the smaller 80 acre parcel. Might have some land money, our NC spot the wife wants a place is getting too crowded. HOA fees are getting higher and condo price seems unreasonable. Likely won't come down when the market bubble pops again, in my opinion.

I was going to ask you if you had chestnut, kerr, sundance, empire, macoun, NY 414 and mcintosh around, do you think you need trailman? Mostly sauce, some baking, not too much fresh eating here. I planted a trailman on anty, but it barely took last year. It;s going well this year, but needs to be relocated. It's 3ft away from a pristine. Only spot for her is a single row 16ft spacing south to north. about 30 yards to the east is 25ft tall trees and 70 yards to the west is the same. I have 1 anty in that row of mostyl m111's. MY only open spot is next to that anty.

I am going to try to make a early season hard cider from pristine apples. I am freeze pressing them, so I can wait a bit for other apples to ripe. My only early season crab might be cranberry. Likely adding bartlet pears to the cider, so I have sweet covered. How's the acidity with trailman, from your taste persepective.

Last edited:
So.......... When's opening day. Actually I planted (2) 30-06 and a kerr in one spot, and blue pearmain and enterprise in another spot. The 30-06 / kerr will be bow only season, too many gun season trespassers in that lot. Got a little spot for my trailer in the smaller 80 acre parcel. Might have some land money, our NC spot the wife wants a place is getting too crowded. HOA fees are getting higher and condo price seems unreasonable. Likely won't come down when the market bubble pops again, in my opinion.

I was going to ask you if you had chestnut, kerr, sundance, empire, macoun, NY 414 and mcintosh around, do you think you need trailman? Mostly sauce, some baking, not too much fresh eating here. I planted a trailman on anty, but it barely took last year. It;s going well this year, but needs to be relocated. It's 3ft away from a pristine. Only spot for her is a single row 16ft spacing south to north. about 30 yards to the east is 25ft tall trees and 70 yards to the west is the same. I have 1 anty in that row of mostyl m111's. MY only open spot is next to that anty.

I am going to try to make a early season hard cider from pristine apples. I am freeze pressing them, so I can wait a bit for other apples to ripe. My only early season crab might be cranberry. Likely adding bartlet pears to the cider, so I have sweet covered. How's the acidity with trailman, from your taste persepective.
I really have no accessible room for more apple trees. I could plant a few on some great ground across the ditch, but there are probably 40 there all ready. I don’t want to carry water to newly planted trees anymore.

I like Trailman for eating and sauce. I haven’t tested any of the apples but tend to like crabs in general. Some acidity for sure.

I really have no accessible room for more apple trees. I could plant a few on some great ground across the ditch, but there are probably 40 there all ready. I don’t want to carry water to newly planted trees anymore.

I like Trailman for eating and sauce. I haven’t tested any of the apples but tend to like crabs in general. Some acidity for sure.

I planted another 50 apples & crabs this year, over 200 planted since you my enabler got me hooked ☺

Seems every year I say this is the last big planting, then I look around and I always start to see room for more.

Sandbur,

You got another one hooked. For some, renting to AG is a really good way to put some attraction and feed in as well. IF they let you put some clover or rye late in the growing season a few weeks before harvest, the that is about as good as it gets.

Putting trailman at home. found a little spot I can stuff him next to a dolgo. Dolgo was supposed to go up north, but had some extra work load this spring that prevented me from going up. Frosts were funny this year too.

Sandbur,

You got another one hooked. For some, renting to AG is a really good way to put some attraction and feed in as well. IF they let you put some clover or rye late in the growing season a few weeks before harvest, the that is about as good as it gets.

Putting trailman at home. found a little spot I can stuff him next to a dolgo. Dolgo was supposed to go up north, but had some extra work load this spring that prevented me from going up. Frosts were funny this year too.
At his winter I had rye cover crops on adjacent land on 3 sides plus I had just a bit in a shooting lane. Two neighbors have clover patches.

I planted another 50 apples & crabs this year, over 200 planted since you my enabler got me hooked ☺

Seems every year I say this is the last big planting, then I look around and I always start to see room for more.
Bur is likely the main reason I got to planting more & more crabs. And several of his seedlings have done well for us.

When I started reading and researching apple & crab trees for planting at camp - around 2009 - I figured maybe 6 to 10 trees would be enough. Camp has about 85 now. If we had more cleared fields - I'd probably still be planting more. Once you start ................

My leased camp is at the mercy of loggers. Virtually all my food plots were at one time log landings, and just about guaranteed will be again in a few years.

Experimenting with triclopyr sprayings to make brushy areas turn into grassy ones. If that works, I am planting fruit trees at the edge of them. They'll be plan B small plots if I loose a plot or two. Tore my bicep and tore my ab muscle this past year. That walk behind brush hog is more and more brutal every year.

Tinkering around with the idea of planting a tree or two from rootmaker pots to their permanent location during 4th of july weekend. Putting 2 bags of mulch on each planting might help out. Got a decent pile of woodchips left too. Just doing one or two. If there's decent rain, they'll probably do ok. Focusing this hunting seasom more on my brother-in-laws land. Might plant a few trees up there that were originally for camp.

My leased camp is at the mercy of loggers. Virtually all my food plots were at one time log landings, and just about guaranteed will be again in a few years.

Experimenting with triclopyr sprayings to make brushy areas turn into grassy ones. If that works, I am planting fruit trees at the edge of them. They'll be plan B small plots if I loose a plot or two. Tore my bicep and tore my ab muscle this past year. That walk behind brush hog is more and more brutal every year.

Tinkering around with the idea of planting a tree or two from rootmaker pots to their permanent location during 4th of july weekend. Putting 2 bags of mulch on each planting might help out. Got a decent pile of woodchips left too. Just doing one or two. If there's decent rain, they'll probably do ok. Focusing this hunting seasom more on my brother-in-laws land. Might plant a few trees up there that were originally for camp.
If you have lighter soil, I really like to add moisture holding crystals to the planting hole, especially at remote locations.

If you have lighter soil, I really like to add moisture holding crystals to the planting hole, especially at remote locations.
Been bringing up vermiculite and clay soil to mix in. Everything I planted in the fal has survived up there. Thinking that's the way to do it.

Not many places have fall sales. Terry from whtetail crabs does. Thats pretty much whats up there.

Got a link to crystals that are decently priced?

Been bringing up vermiculite and clay soil to mix in. Everything I planted in the fal has survived up there. Thinking that's the way to do it.

Not many places have fall sales. Terry from whtetail crabs does. Thats pretty much whats up there.

Got a link to crystals that are decently priced?
I have just been buying small packets from a local SWCD. They sell it to mix with water and dip bare root trees into it.

I just add a pinch or two of dry crystals to the hole and then water.

I am planting very few trees at this point.

Bur -

A late frost killed many of the leaves on a couple of your trees that I started from seed you sent me. Good news is, they've put on a bunch of new leaves, and appear to have brushed off the frost kill. Tough genes out there in Minnesota!!

C695BF71-186B-4579-B2B3-8F1213B2E3F9.png
Fun to watch, but after six days they finally moved on.

My north neighbor has a commercial sweet corn business. We hope they don’t return for sweet corn or for apples.

I probably lost some fawns due to her as she was close to a fawning area.

My mutt the pup has been kicking up fawns recently. For a bear expect they do even better. Good thing bears are not all that plentiful.

But know the feeling and glad when they move on. When they show up late summer they really wreck havoc on the oaks and apples as the cubs are a bit bigger and climb stuff mom would leave alone

20240608_141605.jpgAny idea what this could be caused from? Tent caterpillars?
This is one of my first year trees and the only one currently effected. I'm trying to figure out what is causing it and how to treat it.

View attachment 65258Any idea what this could be caused from? Tent caterpillars?
This is one of my first year trees and the only one currently effected. I'm trying to figure out what is causing it and how to treat it.
If those are tent caterpillars, I just pull off the white web and crush the mass of caterpillars . I found just two trees with them this spring.

View attachment 65258Any idea what this could be caused from? Tent caterpillars?
I'd guess spider mites

clover poisoning?

seriously, that clover stand is insane

bill

The dead leaves look intact. Would doubt caterpillars caused the leaf damage like that. In the past before I window screened the trees around the trunk, if the grass got high, the voles got to the roots. IF voles killed your tree, it mostly likely would be real easy to pull the tree out. I remember mowing my clover field last summer, hundreds of voles runing for their lives.