Crabapple timeline

Crab apples just seem to do their thing year after year, don't they?? No muss - no fuss ...... they just seem to produce.

^^^
Yes,. There's a few crab apple trees at the local golf course that are loaded year after year. Most of the crabs I have been noticing the last few years seem to be full to very full every year.

Crab apples just seem to do their thing year after year, don't they?? No muss - no fuss ...... they just seem to produce.
It seems to be a trend, but I seem to have a few trees resting every year.

I have two Kerr in locations over 1/4 mile apart and they have alternated resting the last two years.

The old Big Dog is resting, but my grafts are producing.

One Buckman Crab that Small Chunk grafted for me started producing. And an ABC from him as well as one of my grafts.

It seems to be a trend, but I seem to have a few trees resting every year.

I have two Kerr in locations over 1/4 mile apart and they have alternated resting the last two years.

The old Big Dog is resting, but my grafts are producing.

One Buckman Crab that Small Chunk grafted for me started producing. And an ABC from him as well as one of my grafts.
Extremes of drought and winter over the last few years with trees in different microclimates has probably caused this resting.

Going back two springs, a tree with 5 foot of snow around it wakes up at a different time than a tree with 3 foot of snow on a more south slope.

I have a friend who is about five miles away and he only has a handful of apples this year. They were loaded last year. I am sure he does no thinning.

ADC50D82-48FA-43BD-9087-EDF2DB561C1F.jpeg
First fruit on Violi’s. I feel that heavy pruning for two years and perhaps a mild winter got it started fruiting.

I have a neighbor some apples and he told me they were the best apples he has ever eaten. Kindercrisp.

Red Baron are ripe and falling. Haralred is close to being ripe. Limbs are breaking from the fruit load. Liberty and Nova EayGro are ripe.

Chestnut crab is well past halfway point of dropping apples.

I grabbed a Sweet Dog yesterday and it tasted pretty good. Also ate one of my first Honeygold from a franken tree.

All of the fruit is bigger this year with the better rainfall and heat units.

I have a couple really big crabapple trees that haven't produced at all the last couple years. Is there anything a guy can try to get them growing apples again or are they just done producing?