Crabapple timeline

c3c60a59951531384c2e018425d1987e.jpg

This is first fruit on a tree I have marked as a dolgo seedling. The apples are currently about twice the size of the grafted dolgo’s fruit. Perhaps I have the ID mixed up, but either way, I am looking forward to a taste test and to evaluating it for a deer tree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice looking fruit, hope it holds longer than grafted Dolgo does.

I like those dark green glossy leaves, too.

Last edited:
This is first fruit on a tree I have marked as a dolgo seedling. The apples are currently about twice the size of the grafted dolgo’s fruit. Perhaps I have the ID mixed up, but either way, I am looking forward to a taste test and to evaluating it for a deer tree.
Good size for deer to get in their mouths. Some gonna see the cider press??

Good size for deer to get in their mouths. Some gonna see the cider press??

They might. I switched sprays on the orchard by my house as I couldn’t find the spray I had used the previous years and I have lots of wormy fruit I am not sure how much pressing I will do.

The above pictured tree is out back in a no spray situation. Lots of CAR in that area also. Somewhere I had a picture of the infected cedar trees.

They might. I switched sprays on the orchard by my house as I couldn’t find the spray I had used the previous years and I have lots of wormy fruit I am not sure how much pressing I will do.
Sorry to hear about the wormy fruit. I hope you get SOME cider pressed - and some of that good red apple sauce too.

Sorry to hear about the wormy fruit. I hope you get SOME cider pressed - and some of that good red apple sauce too.

I make some miniature fish decoys for spearing fish in the winter or just for collectibles as in this case.

For the heck of it, I left one sit in the red juice from dolgo apple sauce for 3-4 days, then did a bit of detailing.
10ba00446e4eb0ae265231ee151d919c.jpg

My next experiment will be with some garden beet juice from my wife making pickled beets.

I sampled my first apple of the seasons Norland. It was pretty decent, but the seeds are all white. For best flavor with crunch, it should be picked early.

This is the earliest, dropping apple that I have recommended for Deer. It is very hardy.

I picked the Norlands and a friend made 15 gallons of cider from his Norland tree. My tree is not that old. The scion came from him.

I have started eating the Rescue crabs. They don’t release from the tree when you trip the fruit(that is one ripeness test I use, then check the Appleseed color).
Picking the Rescue a bit early gives some crunch, just like the Norland.

The Norlands have been sitting at room temperature in the house and are getting soft. Their seeds have turned dark. We have eaten about 2/3 of them.

I did pick a Breakey a few days ago and it was too early.

My Northland Crab has a couple dozen fruit this year.

I have several trees that I need to figure out ripeness dates, so tomorrow I will be our taste testing apples. I would say about half my trees I am not positive what they really are. I have ideas, I just am not positive.

I have several trees that I need to figure out ripeness dates, so tomorrow I will be our taste testing apples. I would say about half my trees I am not positive what they really are. I have ideas, I just am not positive.

I have kept a list for the last few years of ripeness/ picking/ drop time dates. Last year, I left the apples hang on the tree a bit too long. The early apples like Norland and Rescue need to be picked early to have some crunch, or if you pick later, make sauce or cider.

Centennial has a great crop.
fd0ba574b668357b3440b03ffaed2e38.jpg

I will be making my second batch of applesauce tomorrow.

Northland crab is almost ripe. I found one crab with deep red color and the taste was pretty decent.

Northland crab is almost ripe. I found one crab with deep red color and the taste was pretty decent.

a5038f41a3add96f1c24037e23685f5a.jpg

cf7d870a36fdb6e4a8b3287ca9060ed4.jpg

I have this labeled as Bastians Orang Flesh. It needs some time, yet.

7906d36dc6bebb7fe74e462eddf7db29.jpg

Centennial in the bottom of the bucket, with some Zestar, Prairie Magic, and Hazen.
I threw in a couple of Firecrackers.

I have lots of high protein apples this year. (That means they are wormy). I need to go back to the old spray.

What spray do you use?

7906d36dc6bebb7fe74e462eddf7db29.jpg

Centennial in the bottom of the bucket, with some Zestar, Prairie Magic, and Hazen.
I threw in a couple of Firecrackers.

I have lots of high protein apples this year. (That means they are wormy). I need to go back to the old spray.

What is your thoughts on Zetar? I have 1, but it is its first real year with apples. I had tried them a couple weeks ago, but they weren’t ready yet.