Crabapple timeline

436b331b5dadfa5d56e73a94572a19c7.jpg

This is a seedling that I did not record parentage. It looks like some chestnut crab in it’s background. I call it Sour Dog and it is edible to me, but not to others. It is not quite ripe yet. I have added it to cider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

56da737043ebee053484462829e5da65.jpg

From top to bottom are Northland Crab, Bastians Orange Flesh Crab, and Whitney Crab. Whitney started to ripen and drop first. Bastians is now dropping. Northland is holding pretty firm. Perhaps Northland Crabs flVor will improve as it ripens. Now we have moved upfront to what I call the home orchard.

56c684af6d78295b77aed0ed56372a43.jpg

Here we have a Chestnut Crab and the bigger crab we call Long Prairie VFW Crab. LP is quite tasty and is dropping as soon as I touch it, even though the seeds are still white. Chestnut crab is not quite ripe.

be1f3584bc941d33c8ac7c96fc8c7417.jpg

Geneva Crab. No spray as you can tell and it is on a franken tree. This crab has been a fast grower.

36fa74ce9c67de850d725096be70cdd0.jpg

I stripped the flowers off of the top 2-3 feet of the central leader to keep it from tipping and hopefully to get more height. It is on B118. If starting over, I would not have let it fruit so early and would have tried to get mote height on it.

But with B118, that might have led to more tipping of the whole tree.

62b15859c6d5f74efcc57fc5162cc5e2.jpg

This is just a quick view of the bottom finger of what I call the home orchard. Crab trees are planted between the swamp/ pond on the right and the alfalfa field on the left.

Wildlife Group Dolgo crab planted 2019, second year with fruit. Pinched all the apples this weekend to keep the bears off.

5838f2533e672c889895e1e902418176.jpg

Wildlife Group Dolgo crab planted 2019, second year with fruit. Pinched all the apples this weekend to keep the bears off.

5838f2533e672c889895e1e902418176.jpg

Are those seedlings? My grafted dolgo are now a deep purple and dropping.

My dolgos are a deep purple as well. My daughter loves eating them, but they are too tart for me. I like them sweet.

My dolgos are a deep purple as well. My daughter loves eating them, but they are too tart for me. I like them sweet.

Have you tried making applesauce or jelly?

No suregel is needed with dolgo.

63b18b8f1344962c34ff201280326787.jpg

These are mostly not crab apples, but my wife and I are going to make some apple pie/apple crisp mix today. We freeze it in zip locks.there are Zestar, Prairie Magic, Hazen, Red Baron, and just a few Chestnuts in there.

Are those seedlings? My grafted dolgo are now a deep purple and dropping.

Grafted

This tree is planted in western NC zone 6b

Have you tried making applesauce or jelly?

No suregel is needed with dolgo.

I haven’t. They have either freshly picked by my daughter, or eaten by critters. I may try making some next year.

Grafted dolgo also deep red and peaked in zone 4b. Wonder what the ripening time shift is for a couple of zones such as 6b? Maybe almost a month later in NC? Think Blue Hill or one of the other nurseries has a chart on ripening times but that is based on their location and not sure if they give advise on shifting based on what your actual zone is.

Have some Ranetka seedlings that have been tracking but a couple of those got frosted and fruit production down on those but a few also look even more than last yr.

Will have to take some pics soon and report back. This year the Ranetka have fruit more dolgo in appearance with the oblong shape compared to last yr.

Grafted dolgo also deep red and peaked in zone 4b. Wonder what the ripening time shift is for a couple of zones such as 6b? Maybe almost a month later in NC? Think Blue Hill or one of the other nurseries has a chart on ripening times but that is based on their location and not sure if they give advise on shifting based on what your actual zone is.

Have some Ranetka seedlings that have been tracking but a couple of those got frosted and fruit production down on those but a few also look even more than last yr.

Will have to take some pics soon and report back. This year the Ranetka have fruit more dolgo in appearance with the oblong shape compared to last yr.
Blue Hill does have the Drop Time Chart, which I really appreciate, and he does give some general guidance on how drop times shift for locations North or South of his area. It is in the second paragraph of the preamble to the chart entitled “Don’t Overthink The Drop Times Of Fruit”.

Last edited:
My dolgos are dropping now. I should probably go pick a few more apples this weekend.

Ranetka Crab 2022 update. You can find a similar one for 2021 multiple pages back in this thread. Some of 4 trees did well with lots of fruit set and others likely taken out by frost and just a few. Several other trees still have have no fruit and are behind in growth for various reasons (like critter damage for one)

Ranetka A did well and is ripe and will drop most in Sept. This one is very Dolgo like.
DSC02225 Ranetka A1 (med).JPGDSC02226 Ranetka A2 (med).JPG

Ranetka B will drop a bit later and stays pretty much yellow in color
DSC02229 Ranetka B (med).JPG

Ranetka C is actually not bad for eating but also will drop mostly in Sept
DSC02235 Ranetka C (med).JPG

Ranetka D got zapped and these are the only fruit on the whole tree. This one dropped a bit later last year and will see for 2022.
DSC02233 Ranetka D (med).JPG