Crabapple timeline

Ranetka Crab 2022 update. You can find a similar one for 2021 multiple pages back in this thread. Some of 4 trees did well with lots of fruit set and others likely taken out by frost and just a few. Several other trees still have have no fruit and are behind in growth for various reasons (like critter damage for one)

Ranetka A did well and is ripe and will drop most in Sept. This one is very Dolgo like.
View attachment 45863View attachment 45864

Ranetka B will drop a bit later and stays pretty much yellow in color
View attachment 45865

Ranetka C is actually not bad for eating but also will drop mostly in Sept
View attachment 45866

Ranetka D got zapped and these are the only fruit on the whole tree. This one dropped a bit later last year and will see for 2022.
View attachment 45867

I like those Ranetka pictures!

You will doom be pressing cider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is a winter wildlife. Nice clean tree and very little bug damage. The apples aren't coming off anytime soon.

Screenshot_20220910-100355_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220910-100405_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Chestnut crab is ripe and just starting to drop. Right on schedule for the Minnesota bow opener on Saturday. No pictures. I won’t be bow hunting for awhile.

ac0f3098e90cee2d75e2f9ee61b5d0f7.jpg

This is Golden Hornet.
462ea4e4041d751640c256fcfb37c123.jpg

This is labeled as Golden Hornet on dolgo rootstock, but is definitely Dolgo seedling. It is just starting to drop and would probably be another good choice for the bow opener.

This rootstock came from Central Washington Nursery. Once again, they won’t have dolgo rootstock for spring 2023.

I feel there are some real wildlife gems in the dolgo seedling rootstocks.

Chestnut crab is ripe and just starting to drop. Right on schedule for the Minnesota bow opener on Saturday. No pictures. I won’t be bow hunting for awhile.

Critters have been hard on my one remaining chestnut crab. Like yours ripe and just starting to drop but something tore off a major branch this year and several years ago the central leader got amputated as well.

A whitney next to this has been completely left untouched. However not ripe yet and makes me wonder if truly a whitney. Had another one that didn't wake up one spring that was more in line with whitney ripening times but both from same nursery and planted at same time.

I like the critters really prefer chestnut over whitney so probably will not plant more.

Good to know, I will have to go out and grab a pail full. One of my favorite apples.

Kinderkrisp and Red Baron are ripe. I did pick a few chestnut crabs to add to the rest for sauce.

Some of my trees are very wormy and others not so bad. I wonder if worms are worse for trees near flowering crabs as I don’t pick up the windfalls.

My oldest chestnut crab is also too close to some walnuts. I didn’t know about jugulone when I planted the walnuts.

I might not have spelled jugulone correctly.

All Winter Hangover has a good crop this year, the fruit has nice color in these photos taken Sept. 8th. I’m on the border of zones 4b & 5a.

SNL’s description says they hang on all winter, but I suspect that racoons have been getting mine, so I put a lenght of stove pipe on this year to find out.
16E3D231-C6BC-40F6-B512-B024D398497F.jpeg475EB711-65D2-4BD8-A2F8-5A0683E44800.jpeg

Last edited:
All Winter Hangover has a good crop this year, the fruit has nice color in these photos taken Sept. 8th. I’m on the border of zones 4b & 5a.

SNL’s description says they hang on all winter, but I suspect that racoons have been getting mine, so I put a lenght of stove pipe on this year to find out.
View attachment 46025View attachment 46026

I wonder if a solar powered electric fencer hooked to that would train bears?

About half of my trees are still holding some apples, but the bear are starting to move off the surrounding bait piles and are searching for other food, and my apple orchard is one of them spots, I have been getting a lot more pictures of bear, but as of yesterday, no new tree damage yet. The last few years I have shook my trees after deer season to get as many apples off to remove the draw to my trees. This year I am letting them go to see how long my trees will hold. I may regret it.

Killed the first two of these bastards at my house this week. They finally got here.
Lanternfly.jpg

Killed the first two of these bastards at my house this week. They finally got here.
View attachment 46095
20 minutes up the road from me they have tons of spotted lanterns. I have seen none at my place, but imagine its only a matter of time.

20 minutes up the road from me they have tons of spotted lanterns. I have seen none at my place, but imagine its only a matter of time

Ya 30 minutes south of me they've had them bad for the last few years. They finally made it across the river apparently. This is the first year we've seen them around us.

Spotted Lantern Flies are spreading all over the place, into different states. I've seen the adults fly up under vehicle wheel wells out of sight. How many are being spread by unknowing drivers?? Construction sites loaded with them (SLF's) move equipment from one site to another without spraying or even inspecting the vehicles. Get ready boys.

Spotted Lantern Flies are spreading all over the place, into different states. I've seen the adults fly up under vehicle wheel wells out of sight. How many are being spread by unknowing drivers?? Construction sites loaded with them (SLF's) move equipment from one site to another without spraying or even inspecting the vehicles. Get ready boys.
I was worried that, that's how they got to my house. My truck usually has a handful on them when I leave the office

How bad these things supposed to get? Is it worth it to even plant fruit trees anymore?

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/re...-threat/spotted-lanternfly/spotted-lanternfly

Their list of preferred trees to eat looks like one of our prime habitat trees lists. Not sure what can be done at this point. I make it a point to step on as many as I can coming to and leaving work. Here's a tip when you do see one. You have to step on them as they're looking at you. They are very quick jumpers and apparently have extra sensory from behind. Almost impossible to step on one from behind.

You can also put sticky tape around the tree trunks although you end up also catching not target species. Read an article in PA Game News a while back that said they found some that had been attacked by some sort of fungus, so there might be hope of getting rid of them yet.

There was a report about them on our local news here the other day, first I had ever heard of them.
Just another awesome gift from China to put on the list…lantern flies,chestnut blight, Covid, cheap inferior products and on and on…..

Wondering if the drench mentioned by Bows would work for them (it's a year long thing and you can't eat the fruit if used) but if it kept them from eating all your foilage it might be worth it?
I think it was called Bayer Bio Advanced Tree and Shrub Protect with Feed (1 Year). If it saves my trees for a year (mine are all still very young) and I am probably not going to have much fruit anyway it might be worth it to me.

Last edited: