Cortland Apple

chummer

5 year old buck +
By dumb luck I planted a Cortland Apple at my house before I got bit by the apple bug. This is the first year it has apples and I just tried one. Wow what a great apple. I don’t recall the Cortland getting much love on here and was wondering why. It is even rated zone 3. I don’t even recall seeing them in the grocery store. Somehow this apple has flown under my radar and lt has become my first tree to produce an edible apple. Nice surprise but more proof I am an apple hack. The leaves and apples are also very clean for no spraying.

It's a good apple, I put one in the first year I started my own orchard too. Has been a good grower and DR for me so far.

Cortland was also the first tree that produced decent amounts of fruit for me. I agree that it is a great tasting apple that you don't hear too much about. My tree produces nice sized apples that seem to be free from diseases without any spraying. I can't say whether or not the deer like the apples because I pick them before the deer do.

I luv cortlands when fresh off the tree. Checked with local orchard that I drive by going to work if they had any. Told me check back next week. They drop mid to late sept. Dont think they hang on tree too long after ripe. They are great tasting for about a month but shelf life (to me anyway) is short. Come november wont bother to buy them. I'm really looking forward to my first ones again this fall. Maybe appeal is limited because other varities hang longer if you want to keep for deer and best flavor peaks fairly quick while they start selling honeycrisp early sept and do so for months.

Cortland is a good tasting apple. Often people don't like them because commercial orchards picked them too early (as they do with most apples) and when picked early they are less juicy, less sweet, more chewy, and more tart. I.e., everything you don't like about an apple.

My brother and I are huge fans. The orchard around where we dove hunt has had them 2 years running and they were real good. So much that he ordered a tree for next year and I'm looking around for one, debating on the rootstock. Antonovka from SLN? Need a Zestar! next to it because I hear those ain't bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Fan of the Cortland. I don’t have one cuz the Orchard down the road does.

Cortland is a great tasting apple, (really popular in Pa.), but I didn't plant any at camp because it doesn't appear on any DR charts that I've seen. Maybe I should try one ??
G squared 23 (post #6) - Zestar is a really tasty apple !! I just tried Zestar for the first time a few weeks ago & bought more several times. Ate them all !!

Cortland is a great tasting apple, (really popular in Pa.), but I didn't plant any at camp because it doesn't appear on any DR charts that I've seen. Maybe I should try one ??
G squared 23 (post #6) - Zestar is a really tasty apple !! I just tried Zestar for the first time a few weeks ago & bought more several times. Ate them all !!
I just bought a bag of zestars, (first time) I wasn’t crazy about them. Okay but I like my apples a little sweeter. My favorite right now is Sweet Tango.

I bought our Zestars from a local orchard and they were fresh-picked. Grocery store apples just don't taste the same as fresh orchard apples - to me - and I don't know why. Picked too early ?? Anyone know this logistics time frame from orchard to supermarket ?? I notice the taste difference with most apples - store vs. roadside.

I bought our Zestars from a local orchard and they were fresh-picked. Grocery store apples just don't taste the same as fresh orchard apples - to me - and I don't know why. Picked too early ?? Anyone know this logistics time frame from orchard to supermarket ?? I notice the taste difference with most apples - store vs. roadside.

Some apples are grown in a climate where they don’t get the best flavor. In some cases this might be the apples you purchase. I am thinking of some Honeycrisp from southern climates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk