Best apple I have ever eaten

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Apples appeal to some while others can leave them. I like many types, but am in NM following a mule deer hunt and just ate my first Cosmic Crisp. For me it is the perfect apple. I will plant some this year if I have to drive to Washington state to get the trees.

I don’t normally do dwarf trees so help me here. What rootstock would produce quickly. These are for me not deer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looks like you will have to drive to WSU, while your there can you grab some Lucy Glo they are fantastic!.. Just kidding, they are the best apple I've eaten in a lot of years thou. Only got a couple of dwarfs on m9, heavy rock and clay, they have done fairly well, considering the conditions.

Last edited:
So I see they are only sold in Washington Good news is I have a client from Washington that has a private jet and flys to Kentucky often. My trees will be on that jet come H or high water. Lol

Cross between honeycrisp and enterprise WA 38 it also called.

Nurseries I have dealt with don't have it. Think washington university has specific places that can sell it. Doesn't look hard to find though.

B9 pops things up quick. Cummins nursery in NY has great explanations of the roostocks if you're not familiar with some of them. Their variety descriptions are good too. They don't sell that tree though.

I look at what the store sells more closely than I used to. cosmic crisp is everywhere. Wish you can buy liberty or enterprise easily.

My wife begrudingly cooked up some softer macoun apples a few days ago. Bet applesauce hands down so far. Got a macoun in the soil and a NY 414 scion from h20fowler.

You can try and see if you can scions on here, this apple has been talked about before.

Looks like you will have to drive to WSU, while your there can you grab some Lucy Glo they are fantastic!.. Just kidding, they are the best apple I've eaten in a lot of years thou. Only got a couple of dwarfs on m9, heavy rock and clay, they have done fairly well, considering the conditions.
I have a couple of Lucy Glo trees on order from Gurneys, they are great eating. Burnt Ridge sells Cosmic Crisp (to Washington).

The one bag of Cosmic crisp I tried the skins where very bitter pealed they where very good

Thanks for starting this thread! As an aspiring fruit tree plot/amateur cider guy in the making, now I have more trees to add to my list…the best apple I’ve eaten fresh off the tree was a Hewe’s crab that I took off my tree this fall..don’t know if it was the pride in having grown a decent little apple or if it was really just that smooth and good..

For those that can grow them, I still put a fresh-picked Goldrush right off the tree as my #1 eater. #1a and #1b are Crimson Topaz, and Rosalea. All three are complex in flavor - - - sweet, with a slight tart "tang", crisp and juicy. If you want only high-sugar sweetness, these 3 have more than just sweetness. I should mention that Goldrush, while sweet / tart / tangy when fresh-picked, mellow out to more of a sweet apple. Some of the tartness fades as time goes on, but they keep like crazy.

I'd recommend any / all of these 3 to anyone. I doubt you'd be disappointed!

I haven't tried very many, but good ol honeycrisp is still my fav.

Any special care for cosmic crisp? Does it need calcium sprays like honeycrisp?

Cortland Apples from Ochs Orchard in Warwick NY

Cortland Apples from Ochs Orchard in Warwick NY
Think I went past that in November when I was picking up my rototiller from Warwick tool rental.

Been tempted to go to angry orchard one of thee days. Might be over in northern NJ picking up another reservoir rowboat.

Was at the store tonight. My wife was looking at cosmic crisp, macoun, and empire. She went with empire. Got one from turkey creek coming this spring

Think I went past that in November when I was picking up my rototiller from Warwick tool rental.

Been tempted to go to angry orchard one of thee days. Might be over in northern NJ picking up another reservoir rowboat.

Was at the store tonight. My wife was looking at cosmic crisp, macoun, and empire. She went with empire. Got one from turkey creek coming this spring
Wow you're local to Warwick NY ?. I use to live in Oak Ridge NJ and our family had a Summer cabin on Upper Green wood lake , a short drive to Warwick NY. I moved south 21 years ago , So I wasn't sure if Ochs were still in business. BUT those Cortland Apples from Ochs Orchard sure were good eatin . I forget exactly when we use to go pick them , I think Late Sept or early Oct.. Try some this fall !

I have a couple of Lucy Glo trees on order from Gurneys, they are great eating. Burnt Ridge sells Cosmic Crisp (to Washington).
Ordered a Lucy Glo and Lucy Rose from Gurneys myself.

They look like some interesting varieties.

As far as store bought apples go, I haven't found one yet that'll beat a Pink Lady. Picked them up for just 99 cents a pound today. They'll make some outstanding applesauce.

Apples appeal to some while others can leave them. I like many types, but am in NM following a mule deer hunt and just ate my first Cosmic Crisp. For me it is the perfect apple. I will plant some this year if I have to drive to Washington state to get the trees.

I don’t normally do dwarf trees so help me here. What rootstock would produce quickly. These are for me not deer.

My favorite is the "Envy" apple. Always thought, what if I found myself out in Washingtons state, just walking around say about February and was passing by a '"random" orchard and just happened to have a nipper in my pocket and a zip lock bag in the other pocket.
Bad timing for me I used to have a couple different buddies living out there that could have arranged a purchase and delivery of said Cosmic Crisp Apple.

I grafted a few empire last spring, because my wife really likes them.

As far as eating goes, I haven't tried as many as some here, but my favorite is the wild Russets that are growing on my hunting property. I grafted a few golden Russet last spring hoping they are close.

Connell Red has been my favorite eating apple for 40 + years.

Wow you're local to Warwick NY ?. I use to live in Oak Ridge NJ and our family had a Summer cabin on Upper Green wood lake , a short drive to Warwick NY. I moved south 21 years ago , So I wasn't sure if Ochs were still in business. BUT those Cortland Apples from Ochs Orchard sure were good eatin . I forget exactly when we use to go pick them , I think Late Sept or early Oct.. Try some this fall !
That was a bit of a ride for me, maybe hour and 45. I live near red hook / rhinebeck area. Right across the river from catskill. Been wanting to try greenwood lake for fishing. I have a pedal kayak and a 16ft boat w/ outboard. Putting a rowboat in Ashokan Reservoir this spring. Focusing on early trout in there instead of chasing stripers hard in the river.

Cortland.... I am maybe 3 hours from that area. Actually went two years ago to cortland to pick up a truck cap. Lots of beautiful orchards out there. Got mcintosh, macoun, liberty, enterprise, freedom, and empire coming this year. Close to having all the major geneva varieties.