Best apple I have ever eaten

Connell Red has been my favorite eating apple for 40 + years.
The old Connell orchard is less than two miles from my land. We grew up on eating Connell Reds - I have picked untold bushels of them - at least it seemed that way when I was a kid and we had to go pick them ourselves.

As far as store bought apples go, I haven't found one yet that'll beat a Pink Lady. Picked them up for just 99 cents a pound today. They'll make some outstanding applesauce.
One of the latest-ripening apples out there, but a really good apple. Hard, crisp apple with good sweet/tart taste. My wife and I buy some Pink Lady every year for pies, crisps, and sauce. They're a good eater fresh-picked, too!!

I haven't tried very many, but good ol honeycrisp is still my fav.
Prof. Kent said in another thread that Honeycrisp x Fuji = Rosalea apple. If you can get your choppers into a Rosalea - I think you'll be a fan. I mentioned Rosalea in post #8 on page 1. Crazy juicy!!

Happen to see a display of Cosmic Crisps at Wally world, grabbed two.... they are a big apple .... when I first saw them from a distance I thought they might be wolf rivers ...

They are a pretty dam good apple ... super sweet and very juicy, for me its finishes with a hint of tartness nice balance... the juice leaves me thinking of pineapple juice seems to be a perfect desert apple, nice crunch to each bite. No bad vibes off the skins ... the flavor just punches right through, its a good apple! Maybe too sweet for some...

I can see why one would call this their favorite apple ....

Im going to have to put it up against the "Envy" in a personal taste test

Hey WTNUT, If I draw a straight line with my ruler from Washington State to Kentucky the flight line with some favorable wind drift crosses right over me here in NW Wisconsin - think that client of yours could strap a mini parachute on one of those potted Cosmic Crips trees and make a bombing run ! LOL Just saying ...... and a snip or two of "Envy" scion for ballast would be appreciated much as well.

I grew up there too Cavey😂😂. But maybe 10 miles further away.

Same here….when we went to pick apples it was always Conell reds.

Cortland is the variety of the apple we picked at Och's orchard in Warwick NY.

My favorite is the "Envy" apple. Always thought, what if I found myself out in Washingtons state, just walking around say about February and was passing by a '"random" orchard and just happened to have a nipper in my pocket and a zip lock bag in the other pocket.
Bad timing for me I used to have a couple different buddies living out there that could have arranged a purchase and delivery of said Cosmic Crisp Apple.

Bought one of those to try tonight.

Also bought some other varieties and tried opal tonight. I thought it was very good, but doesn’t seem like it would last long as it’s a soft apple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Goldrush are my favorite. Supposedly they improve in storage, but they never last long. Liberty and Pink Lady are fantastic right off the tree.

Im going to have to put it up against the "Envy" in a personal taste test
I tried them both side by side last night....Envy would be my pick between the two.

Goldrush are my favorite. Supposedly they improve in storage, but they never last long.
We've bought Goldrush for about 6 or 7 years now from a local orchard, and we buy 1 bushel worth. They keep like crazy all winter. As they keep in cold storage, they lose some of that early, fresh-picked "tang" - but gain in sweetness. Best keepers we've had at our place. We eat them hard, so they go fast at our place. Superior taste right off the tree. Great in sauce too.

I tried them both side by side last night....Envy would be my pick between the two.
I just did the test envy and cosmic crunch ....

Both are great apples, cosmic crunch is sweet and juicy but in the end and I went back and forth between the two comparing each and in the end Im going with envy . But cosmic crunch is right there running in the top 5

Attachments

• appl1.JPG
    appl1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 5
I just did the test envy and cosmic crunch ....

Both are great apples, cosmic crunch is sweet and juicy but in the end and I went back and forth between the two comparing each and in the end Im going with envy . But cosmic crunch is right there running in the top 5

The Opal was about cleared out when I went back for more. There’s Cosmic Crisp and Envy along side it also. The Opal that were left were somewhat mushy…may be the only reason those last few were still sitting there to begin with. Honeycrisp must have been a close second since it was about depleted as well.

b2296655cad34f4a076845a20554960a.jpg

That forbidden fruit is tempting me. Thinking of adding goldrush and honeycrisp. Wanted disease free varieties. Even thought of removing my young golden delicious to avoid more spraying.

MAde a big batch if applecause with some empire apples. Wish Turkey Creek had more of them on m111.

Kanzi is a darn good apple.

Kanzi is a darn good apple.
I have found that anything cross bred with a braeburn makes a pretty good apple

Trailman crab is the tastiest apple I've ever eaten.
Looking forward to one day getting to eat Chestnut crab fruit from scions I grafted last year... it consistently gets rave reviews for flavor.

Grocery store apples... I can take 'em or leave 'em.

Looking forward to one day getting to eat Chestnut crab fruit from scions I grafted last year... it consistently gets rave reviews for flavor.

I had my first trailmans right off the tree last year and was blown away how good they were.

Used to think Honeycrisp was the best until I tried Evercrisp. Now that’s #1

Trailman and Chestnut went into my yard this year. Had a few other varieties that just weren't doing it, so they're gone, and those will be the only two.