Anyone ever topwork an apple tree this big?

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
This is a tree in my yard. It’s a good deer apple, but I don’t need deer apples in the yard and want an eating apple in its place. I’ve never tried to topwork a tree this large. Just wondering if anyone else has and how it turned out.

IMG_3551.jpeg

Shouldnt be an issue. We have done several that were that large or larger. IF it has decent branch structure, cut off most everything and leave some scaffold branches to bark graft to. Often recommended to leave a couple nurse branches as well to promote energy "flow" to the higher portions of the remaining tree. You can cut off the nurse branches once the grafts take. Just make sure and support the grafts once they get say 12" of growth or so. Birds will land on them and high winds can break them free.

It looks like sap suckers are working your tree over. Is it healthy?

I can tell you this, don't use a bark graft on it. Bark grafts can grow over 6 feet tall in a year on a strong root like that and a strong wind can rip it right off. Graft on to available suckers, or cut back on the top branches and let suckers grow up, then graft to the suckers.

It looks like sap suckers are working your tree over. Is it healthy?

The tree does have some sap sucker holes, but it hasn't hurt the tree as far as I can tell.

As for the wind breaking grafts, I have run into that problem before. On any topworking that I do, I cut big pieces of cane (native bamboo) and use duct tape to brace them. That has worked really well for me. Two years ago I topworked a 4 inch DBH tree, and it lacks just a little now closing the gap. This tree is about 2 inches bigger, so hopefully it will work out for me. Thanks everyone for the responses.

I've got one 4 times that trunk diameter in the yard that the sap suckers have decimated. I'll be hacking it up this fall. All the dead big limbs are coming off. Then wait and see. It's root suckering like crazy but that may be a 50 year old root stock. It's a shame because it produces like crazy. I did manage to graft it to another tree out back 2 years ago. Good graft growth but no fruit yet.

Maybe not that big but pretty close. Definitely will need support
809e0893f62da12b6fbc3ad60506f1cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk