Liberty Apple Tree / Bow

White Oak

5 year old buck +
I planted a couple Apple trees out of my order in My Fathers front yard . He normally plant's potted trees from Lowes, I have to admit all the potted trees he picked out have nice straight trunks and have grown well.. He's complaining about how this Liberty apple tree "bows out" . I see what he means, I guess at the graft the tree shoots out to the right and does "bow out". Will this tree ever correct itself ? or will there always be a curve and potential week spot ?

Attachments

• 100_1953.JPG
    100_1953.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 100_1955.JPG
    100_1955.JPG
    626.5 KB · Views: 46
That is caused by a using a bud graft on the side of the rootstock instead of whip & tongue graft.
As the tree matures it will be less noticeable. Keep the tree balanced by pruning.,

You can straighten it when the bark slips. Drive a thin rigid post next to it and tie it on there. If needs be, tie the whole thing to a piece of bamboo or something similar. Don't tie it too tight, and be sure to remove everything in the fall.

I planted a tree that looked like a Y in 2012. It turned out fine. I just ended up pruning one side after a year or two. Like mentioned above, prune to balance and it'll be just fine.