Native Hunter Apples 2023

I just went to England's Orchard where he has a bunch to try. The American persimmons had a variety of tastes. To me, I tasted mostly mandarin-orange like flavor. Some tasted like brown sugar and cinnamon. Some tasted like pumpkin with notes of cinnamon. There's a few other flavors I'm sure but that was mostly what I tasted. Some of the hybrids had a thicker consistency, bigger and tasted like honey or perhaps a mix of American flavors and honey. I compared notes with some other people there after the fact. We agreed on a few and disagreed on a few. I'm not experienced enough to know if the fruits are variable or the taste is somewhat subjective. Others can dive deep into taste but I guess I don't have a sophisticated palette.

Wow I am jealous. I have ordered from cliff and had great interactions. Would love to visit and try a variety of cultivars

It was a good time. He and his wife are very nice! I wish I had more of a chance to interact, but I wanted to keep it fun for my daughter who I took with me. That often meant going off away from the group and trying unripe persimmons she picked for me :). I was surprised at how good jujubes were. I wasn't crazy about Che fruit, but my daughter likes them. I have a few pear varieties I have yet to try too.

Apple crisp made out of Sundance. Heavenly.

View attachment 59906
Sundance is a keeper, it has such a unique taste. I picked the last two on Nov 12, cut them up with a couple of winesap and made fried pies. I may be ruined.

Sundance is a keeper, it has such a unique taste. I picked the last two on Nov 12, cut them up with a couple of winesap and made fried pies. I may be ruined.
Agreed. They are great apples.

Native, have you dried any? Ive never had enough to try.

Native, have you dried any? Ive never had enough to try.
Yes, I did, and they were as good as any others I've ever dried. To me, the tart apples make the best dried apples - especially if you add cinnamon or Carmel.

Yes, I did, and they were as good as any others I've ever dried. To me, the tart apples make the best dried apples - especially if you add cinnamon or Carmel.
Ive had a granny smith in production for almost 40 years and has always been kind of the bellwether. Ive always thought of sundance as a bit of a shy bearer. Considering it had a good crop last year and a light crop this year. By comparison four enterprise trees, two of which are mature, produced four apples in two years. One mature liberty had a decent crop this year, its first, none of which made it to the ground (crows). My mature granny smith who has been bomb proof for 20 years (here) made two apples. I need to rethink a few things.

Got a Sundance coming on M7 this spring. How is that tree in your opinion. Blooming time, date they got ripe, Date they strat dropping, etc...

Very much wish Turkey Creek would add this one to their list of trees. Tempted to make 5 or 6 different varieties in rows of 10 to 12 out back, in additon to my 25 or so assortment.

Got a Sundance coming on M7 this spring. How is that tree in your opinion. Blooming time, date they got ripe, Date they strat dropping, etc...

Very much wish Turkey Creek would add this one to their list of trees. Tempted to make 5 or 6 different varieties in rows of 10 to 12 out back, in additon to my 25 or so assortment.
They are excellent in disease resistance and make a great apple that is a little on the tart side. Bloom time for me was with Liberty and Priscilla. Drop time for me was much earlier than advertised, but that is true for me with all apples. However, if you look above, @Mozark still had Sundance fruit hanging by November 12. Most places that sell it advertise it as an October apple. Drop times vary a lot around the country based on a variety of factors.

I'm going to continue this thread into 2024, because I will likely have some new varieties this year that were not covered last year. Today I took note of this Virginia (Hewe's) Crab that is in full bloom. This variety is said to be Thomas Jefferson's favorite cider apple. This tree started out kind of slow, but appears to now be hitting its stride. Stay tuned and I will be reporting back with some new varieties soon.
IMG_3945.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your results. I just planted a Hewe's from @Turkey Creek this spring and the history of these old apple varieties is quite interesting.

I'm going to continue this thread into 2024, because I will likely have some new varieties this year that were not covered last year. Today I took note of this Virginia (Hewe's) Crab that is in full bloom. This variety is said to be Thomas Jefferson's favorite cider apple. This tree started out kind of slow, but appears to now be hitting its stride. Stay tuned and I will be reporting back with some new varieties soon.
View attachment 63588Hewes is another one of those varieties that seems to put on a huge bloom show every year and sets lots of fruit at well. My wife even asked today as we were working in the nursery what the tree covered with blossoms was .... it was a Hewes.

Hewes is another one of those varieties that seems to put on a huge bloom show every year and sets lots of fruit at well. My wife even asked today as we were working in the nursery what the tree covered with blossoms was .... it was a Hewes.

Last edited:
I planted a Hewes from wildlife group in February this year

I hope it is as hardy as the Dolgo

Dole seems to laugh at texas heat

bill

Hews used to be used as rootstock in colonial times. MY hewes died last year. I removed a few cider apples from my home orchard to make room for more baking/sauce apples. this spring Hoping to squeeze one in next year somewhere. Washington argued with jefferson often about what made the best cider. He prefered Harrison.

I planted a Hewes from wildlife group in February this year

I hope it is as hardy as the Dolgo

Dole seems to laugh at texas heat

bill

That is good to know on the Dolgo.
I rescued 6 Winesap apples trees from a local orchard that were going to be thrown into the dumpster. One of my friend’s wives is an employee and got the owner to give them to me for free on the chance I could save them.
When I plant them out, I am going to need a good pollinator for them, and Dolgo was in my top 5 choices. Other crabs in the running are chestnut crab, and Whitney crabs because they seem to have the best reviews for taste. Or, I may try other production varieties… who knows. I’m probably 2 falls out from planting in the ground as slow and sparse as these trees are coming on this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk