bueller's blotter

You getting out this weekend bueller? Finally some lows in the 30's. I plan on sitting friday and saturday evenings. Don't expect anything but never know w/ the first good cold front.
Probably not, other family obligations :(. I do have some smaller bucks moving around on camera well within shooting hours but I'm trying to hold out for a good one this year late Oct - early Nov.

That's my goal this year also. Anything 2.5+ is fair game. But I won't say that all 1.5's are completely safe either ;).

That's my goal this year also. Anything 2.5+ is fair game. But I won't say that all 1.5's are completely safe either ;).
I am in the same boat. I passed a doe last week, can't justify shooting one yet. I have a couple 2.5's around and one stud but if it gets late any buck will do this year. Hopefully I can connect on a suburban deer and leave the deer at camp to rebound another year. A decent winter this year and I could be back to considering a doe in two years. If only they didn't taste so good.

I am in the same boat. I passed a doe last week, can't justify shooting one yet. I have a couple 2.5's around and one stud but if it gets late any buck will do this year. Hopefully I can connect on a suburban deer and leave the deer at camp to rebound another year. A decent winter this year and I could be back to considering a doe in two years. If only they didn't taste so good.
I'd much rather take a small buck for the table vs a doe.

Even one freshly out of spots? I really don't mind eating yearlings and their easy to get out of the woods.

I agree. For years I bought into the hype of shoot a doe, better the herd. Doesn't really work when you can have winter wipe out 70% of the deer. I will be much more cautious going forward. I had a buddy bail on a hunt today because I told him no does. I Don't blame him, he doesn't think about hunting until 10/1. He has other options to fill his freezer. I would love to open up my place to shoot what you want but I do not see it happening unless it is a once every few year situation.

Even one freshly out of spots? I really don't mind eating yearlings and their easy to get out of the woods.
No, I prefer not take a buck fawn or a doe fawn. I always get somewhat "down" when I walk up to a deer I just shot to find that it was a fawn.

They might not be safe here either;)

No, I prefer not take a buck fawn or a doe fawn. I always get somewhat "down" when I walk up to a deer I just shot to find that it was a fawn.

Not me. But I see enough mature does that scare me for the plate. I may be way wrong but I figure a nub head won't be allowed to stay, by his family's decision . A bald doe fawn is better on my plate then Dr winter's or a Yote.

Now in NJ. I'm starting to think it would be better for the neighbors to shoot young bucks. Because numbers are low.

I have a few older does hanging out in my woods daily, with fawns. I took a decent 180 pound doe last season because she kept busting me in my bow stand. Those big ol does are a pain in the a$$ to hunt with. SO I have no issues taking out a couple of them. The bigger bucks dont hang out in my woods, but they will wander through, you just have to be there and be ready for them. I wont take a small deer, buck or doe, but my son that hunts with me is free to shoot what ever he wishes, so as it is legal. I dont need a big rack to call the hunt successful, I have outgrown those days. I hunt for food, and because I love spending the time with my son.

Our herd is rebounding but has plenty of room for growth still. During our gun season we don't see many deer, let alone bucks. So if I strike out during archery season (pretty much buck hunting only) I'll take almost any deer that presents itself during rifle season.

Nothing with horns is safe around me with a bow but like the last 4 years I'll most likely hold out for one of the better bucks I have around, passing multiple lesser bucks, and have a healthy serving of tag soup again at the end. Like Bueller said the herd is rebounding but I can't bring myself to take a doe, yet.
Haven't taken a deer with rifle in maybe 7 or 8 years?? I don't know. My son and I could tag out by 9am with bucks on a typical opening morning if we chose to. I told him again this year he can do whatever he wants but I'd like to get at least one deer this year, preferably with a bow.

I'd also add that we could do likewise with tags on deer such as yours on any given sit.

I've only hunted two afternoons so far this season. Saw does and fawns each sit but no bucks yet. Cameras are showing that daytime activity is increasing, better days are ahead. But it's tough when you just don't have the time to hunt more than a day or two here, and a day or two there.

This guy has been around all year but Oct. 3rd was the first time we caught him during daylight hours in about 2 months. He meets our criteria so if he presents a shot we will be taking it.
hollywood.jpg

That's a fine looking buck. Good luck getting on him!

My clover plot is still holding its own. The rye I overseeded with is filling in.

bd2d3ec540cfd4da851570b762ef88c2.jpg

763cfeee1846245c7c00d0bc16e55bd6.jpg

ef070edeca97f8eff6c11c32745a9830.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

That looks great! Was the clover planted with the rye last fall? If I remember correctly you didn't mow at all but just broadcasted into what you had standing. Did you spray at any time ? The close-up photos look just like some of the pics and videos I've watched about no-till.

That looks great! Was the clover planted with the rye last fall? If I remember correctly you didn't mow at all but just broadcasted into what you had standing. Did you spray at any time ? The close-up photos look just like some of the pics and videos I've watched about no-till.
Spayed and planted buckwheat spring of 2015. August of 2015 seeded winter rye and red clover into the standing mature buckwheat. Let the winter rye mature this summer. August 2016 seeded more winter rye into the standing mature rye and clover. Probably should have added more clover also. Don't know what I'll do with it next spring/summer.

Use medium red clover next spring. The roots go far deeper than white clover and it just might tolerate that sand better than you think with that much rye protecting the ground from the drying sun and wind.

Just got word from Pop's that the neighbor has harvested his beans and corn. Both were standing two weeks ago. Having no acorns this year our plots should be HOT now. I can't get out until next weekend but that has been the peak of daylight activity for mature bucks on our land in recent years.