bueller's blotter

That ^^^ is what we started doing the last couple years we were plotting out there, seemed to be working until the old man ran the spike harrow over it to knock stuff down and the whole field came up in sandburs. Funniest thing was, it looked like they were row planted, because they came up right in the paths of the spikes, damned stuff looked like it was planted on purpose with a grain drill.
When I do drag it's more to "lay down" the vegetation vs actually "working" the ground. I always have some type of weed or grass work it's way into my plots but I don't stress over it much anymore unless it really dominates. And when it does a gly spraying followed by a buckwheat or rye planting depending on the season starts the process all over again.

You can run your ATV over the rye & clover knocking the rye to the ground and the clover with push up through the rye in the rows created by your atv wheels. I also do not mow the plots. I believe the deer actually feel more comfortable with the taller dead rye.
100% agree.

By the time I got back over to look at that "sandbur plot", it had all went to seed already!:eek: I walked about 10 feet out into that mess and my shoes were completely covered in burs. The old man only looked at it from about 80 yards away and just assumed it was rye growing in there that was knocked down from when he ran the harrow over it. Seems funny to look back now that we don't own the place anymore, but man was I PO'd when I walked out there. I liked the taller rye myself, but we had too many turks to not try to get it to the ground, they would walk through and pick the seed heads clean, which is what I think happened the year we had the sandbur infestation, no rye was left on the stalks or the ground because the turks cleaned it up before it germinated, thus leaving a "void" which the sandburs were willing to fill.

By the time I got back over to look at that "sandbur plot", it had all went to seed already!:eek: I walked about 10 feet out into that mess and my shoes were completely covered in burs. The old man only looked at it from about 80 yards away and just assumed it was rye growing in there that was knocked down from when he ran the harrow over it. Seems funny to look back now that we don't own the place anymore, but man was I PO'd when I walked out there. I liked the taller rye myself, but we had too many turks to not try to get it to the ground, they would walk through and pick the seed heads clean, which is what I think happened the year we had the sandbur infestation, no rye was left on the stalks or the ground because the turks cleaned it up before it germinated, thus leaving a "void" which the sandburs were willing to fill.
I can get the rye to volunteer if I roll it down shortly after it matures. When I leave it standing it does not reseed itself. The mature stalks bend or snap bringing the seed heads down to a level where something cleans them all up. I assume mostly turkeys but I have a feeling the deer hit them also.

Speaking of turkeys in the area. The population appears to have really rebounded with two consecutive easy winters. Those couple harsh ones a few years back really put a dent into our population.

I can get the rye to volunteer if I roll it down shortly after it matures. When I leave it standing it does not reseed itself. The mature stalks bend or snap bringing the seed heads down to a level where something cleans them all up. I assume mostly turkeys but I have a feeling the deer hit them also.

Speaking of turkeys in the area. The population appears to have really rebounded with two consecutive easy winters. Those couple harsh ones a few years back really put a dent into our population.
I only got back for 2 days this past spring to try and fill my buddies tag and we hunted out by Hustler, so we never even got out by the lake this past spring. Good to hear they are rebounding out there, because as you noted, we were also seeing a drop in numbers out there since about the winter of 2012-13.

I know Art has the handle of " Sandbur " - but what exactly IS a sandbur ?? What does the plant look like ??

Here is a "baby bur", looks like a baby rye seedling doesn't it........................

baby bur.jpg

Well, they turn into this.............................:eek::mad:

cenchrus-longispinus-sandbur_0808_165202.jpg

And produce these...........:mad:

P1080756_Sandbur.jpg

Art CAN'T be that nasty !!! :D

I think I've seen those before, but I can't remember where. The middle pic with the sand - the plant looks like some I've seen. Do they only grow in sand ??

Sandy-ish soil is where I see them mostly, never really seen them in nice black alluvial soils.

I hate those things! I ruined many a bicycle tire tube on those as a kid. We call them goat heads.

I was up at the cabin for the opener but didn't hunt. Too warm and too many things to do. And no big bucks showing themselves on camera in a killable early season pattern. Food plots look great but I didn't take any pictures this time around. Good number of bucks on my place right now while a mile away at my Pops' place they are almost non-existent. Been that way all year for some unknown reason :confused:.

These are the typical sized bucks for our area. Apparently they are pretty comfortable eating and resting in the rye right in front of my tower stand.

1.jpg

2 1/2 year old

2.jpg

This is a good buck for the area.

3.jpg

If I was only looking to fill the freezer I think I could've done so Saturday afternoon.

1.jpg

Bucks are starting to spar with each other.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

The big guy getting pushed around a bit.

Even this little guy stepped up to him. Although he better be careful or he is going to lose an eye.

Couple observations from this past weekend. I had some volunteer buckwheat come up in my rye plot. It's only about a foot high and is flowering. I sat over the plot Saturday afternoon. Very interesting to watch the deer through the binos seek out individual buckwheat plants. They would pull the whole plant out of the ground, roots and all. Chew it down and then walk around looking for another buckwheat plant to grab. Also watched the deer spend lots of time in the scrubby woods along the edge of this plot heavily browsing the low growing plants and shrubs, not sure on which species in particular. Pretty clear at this moment they prefer the leafy growth of the buckwheat and native plants over the grass like rye. Almost as if they know the leafy growth will be gone very soon and they are sucking it up while it's there.

I have some canadian clearweed in shaded areas. They left it alone most all year but r now starting to hoover it. Just like last year.