bueller's blotter

A few years of that should really help out with the organic content. Looking great!
Yep. This is only the second year for this plot. If all goes well I'll be sharing photos of some lush red clover from this plot in a couple years.

Looks good

bueller, I don't know if I would wait on that red clover, I would have put some down this go-around. The amount you would need to cover that small powerline plot will set you back less than $20 and I'm betting that if you could get it established under that thatch layer, it would send down a good tap root into that sand and you could be off to the races. We threw some out more often than not, but as I have said before, our OM and pH was way worse than even the average Juneau Co guy because for 15 years the old man would not stop either plowing, discing, or tilling our plots. We essentially had no real OM in the top 3 or 4 inches of soil and the lime leached through that talcum powder tilled sand like a sieve. I would put some down the next time you seed into that thatch, just as an "experiment" to see how well it will establish now and if you can get some through a summer. With the very minimal tillage that you do now, I think you could get a good amount of it started in there and your soil will thank you for the extra N and OM. The deer will go nuts with it as well, given that likely no one in your immediate vicinity has any hay fields around.

Last edited:
Your probably right, I should have thrown some clover in this time around. I have a really nice stand of clover growing in my best plot right now but it's on a property a mile away. I established it by overseeding a buckwheat plot last summer with rye and clover. Weeds and grass were minimal so I didn't even spray or drag. This year its lush plot of clover that the deer have pretty much left alone until just recently. I don't know if the tall blades of rye kept them out or what. In the last two weeks they really started pounding it. Should hold up for several weeks into the bow season. Last time I had clover like that it was a HUGE draw into the gun season before getting covered by snow.

I have a plot of clover about 3/4 of an acre that had tall wr stalks in it this summer as well. I left most of it, but over the 4th of July, I took a drag with the teeth pulled up, and just ran the drag around the outsides of the plot to see if it would make a difference. The last time I was up there I went and checked it out, the clover came in pretty decent, but it looked about the same as where I left the wr standing, but it looked a little greener, and thicker where there wasnt any wr stalks. I havent seen much, if any browse on the clover, but I also dont have an exclusion cage up either. I was just going off a walk past it, I didnt see much for the tops chewed off. Hopefully they dont over browse it, and there is some still standing for draw into the gun season.

4wanderingeyes, I have a camera on mine and up until a week or two ago I had little to no action. Also showed no signs of use to my eyes upon inspection. Now all of a sudden there is trails showing up throughout and the camera is catching them with their heads down eating.

Looks great. Love the video of the buck.

Looks good!

Sent from my Smartphone using Tapatalk

Spray, broadcast, drag at its finest. I wish I had a photo of this plot when it was brown and before the rye showed it's face but I don't. Four weeks ago it looked like this.
aee6150ffa864873b45db80204f2f4ed.jpg

And then this

035ffb40a37de7789608eec5c50ad686.jpg

And now this

a471a1acb9898845e2bec9f2e5a7e3fc.jpg

9babf3134e945d4cf629553f149a930e.jpg

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Here is a rye plot Pops put in last weekend. Even with zero rain some has germinated while other seeds are still waiting. Excellent seed bed preparation, cool nights, heavy dew, and moist ground at the time of planting equals success.

49ff01f5fe54f59be9b9e17ffe3b28b2.jpg

9d4290363dd5f0ca2e52c988e83fd34a.jpg

2b3260a0c6c0d7639a764770a1c0f9c2.jpg

Red clover planted a year ago is looking great. And the deer are really hammering it after leaving it alone through July. I overseeded this weekend with rye. Probably should have added a couple pounds of clover also.

Not so pretty from a distance.

0db98ca9d7046e36115775a1c4ef00c8.jpg

But as you get closet it gets better

c59af0caaaf73c7a84b2864b530faaf2.jpg

35005292756f207d9c02f1e34e12c71c.jpg

2d4ee069145ac6638648936a880f4fe2.jpg

Your plots are looking great - and the video tells the tale on the buckwheat.

Everything shaping up nicely!!

Your plots are looking great - and the video tells the tale on the buckwheat.

Everything shaping up nicely!!
Thanks. In past years we did a lot of our rye planting on Labor Day weekend. We are ahead of the game this year. Our season opens in 2 weeks!

Looks very good. I really need to rethink what I'm doing on my sand up there. Thanks for sharing your progress.

Looks very good. I really need to rethink what I'm doing on my sand up there. Thanks for sharing your progress.
#1 suggestion from someone who dealt with that Juneau sand for 20+ years, leave the heavy tillage equipment in the shed!!!!

Other than maybe a chain-link fence drag or an unweighted spike-toothed harrow, otherwise, anything more is too much tillage. Do not destroy what little OM is there. That is where bueller has made huge inroads over our old place, he did not start by moldboard plowing every spring for 20 years, then discing, then dragging and he has good "covers" that hold moisture to keep that clover thriving, ours would have been dead by early to mid August every year.

Last edited:
Those look great bueller, far and above anything we had, and just as we were moving that direction, the old man sold out, so I don't know if we would have ever got it back to being that productive?

I used to mow my plots but I've found that either leaving the crops and weeds standing or rolling/dragging them down leaves me with more sand covering organic matter for longer. I'm leaning more and more towards leaving them standing in recent years. There is already a thatch layer present and the standing crops/weeds really help during the hot and dry summer months.

Same plot, July 2016

8bf1d839514bfc8e6c970878eda1b03e.jpg

And now in September. The rye is decomposing on it's own and falling to the ground to provide more thatch in the future. And the tall seed heads are now easily accessible for the turkeys or whoever else wants them.

I used to mow my plots but I've found that either leaving the crops and weeds standing or rolling/dragging them down leaves me with more sand covering organic matter for longer. I'm leaning more and more towards leaving them standing in recent years. There is already a thatch layer present and the standing crops/weeds really help during the hot and dry summer months.
That ^^^ is what we started doing the last couple years we were plotting out there, seemed to be working until the old man ran the spike harrow over it to knock stuff down and the whole field came up in sandburs. Funniest thing was, it looked like they were row planted, because they came up right in the paths of the spikes, damned stuff looked like it was planted on purpose with a grain drill.

Same plot, July 2016

8bf1d839514bfc8e6c970878eda1b03e.jpg

And now in September. The rye is decomposing on it's own and falling to the ground to provide more thatch in the future. And the tall seed heads are now easily accessible for the turkeys or whoever else wants them.

You can run your ATV over the rye & clover knocking the rye to the ground and the clover with push up through the rye in the rows created by your atv wheels. I also do not mow the plots. I believe the deer actually feel more comfortable with the taller dead rye.