Brassica plots and insects

BobinCt

5 year old buck +
My brassica planting dates here in Connecticut isn’t until August but just wanted to get some ideas prior. I’ve had brassica plantings before when insects can wipe out the plots. I never do back to back plantings of brassicas in the same plot either. Two years ago I had grasshoppers or leafhoppers. They defoliate the plants. Not only those insects, but I’m sure there are a list off others such as some kind of beetle I’ve seen, too. I know people say try planting them later to avoid the insects but it’s not so easy when your waiting on a good rain. My question is: Is there an insecticide anyone has sprayed to combat the insects? Is there one you can do prior to planting? Or if you want until after planting, how long after would you spray? Some of you might say that you have had some insects eat the foliage but nothing too major to worry about. I been there too, so you been lucky. I have had years we’re there were little damage, then I’ve had a year where they wipe everything out. Any experiences with controlling them or helpful info would be great.

Don't know what to tell ya. I've had insects completely defoliate brassicas before. I don't plant them much because my deer never seem to like them, so they aren't worth worrying about when the bugs do hit.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The first year I planted brassicas I broadcast them around July 4th and Red Turnip beetles went to town on them. Now I wait until August to plant them and never see those beetles.

Now I have a ton of plant diversity which makes good homes for predator insects so that probably helps as well. I no longer use insecticides as there are 1,700 beneficial insects for every pest insect.

Also, I plant brassicas in the same place every year without problems. I chalk that up to having healthy soil and always planting mixes and not a brassica monoculture.

there are 1,700 beneficial insects for every pest insect.
Can you provide a link to an unbiased source confirming this statement as factual?

So I learned here in Mass the common slug will destroy my brassica plots. Now I spread those slug killing pellets every two weeks and never had an issue since. Could not grow them with out it.

I also used to think it was flying insects but one day noticed hey its slugs all over them.

https://www.ortho.com/en-ca/products/bugs/ortho-slug-b-gon-slug-and-snail-bait

Can you provide a link to an unbiased source confirming this statement as factual?
I'll chime in. I think Gabe Brown quoted that in one of his Eco Farm talks. May have to trace that one back to him unless Barndog can give the citation

I heard it in a presentation from Dr. Jonathon Lundgren, a leading entomologist. He's been involved in 268 research projects according to the following link. https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jonathan_Lundgren

He was instrumental in determining that neonicotinoids and glyphosate are the main culprits in causing the honey bee colony collapse.

As far as which particular research project, or presentation on YouTube mentions the 1,700/1 ratio, I'm not sure, but if you look hard enough you can find it.

He was instrumental in determining that neonicotinoids and glyphosate are the main culprits in causing the honey bee colony collapse.
That is at least partially misleading. Glyphosate is suspected to have negative impacts on honeybees, but there is certainly no proof at this point. https://e360.yale.edu/features/bee-alert-is-a-controversial-herbicide-harming-honeybees

"might be contributing"
https://www.npr.org/2018/09/25/6516...ller-could-be-linked-to-widespread-bee-deaths

Monsanto controls Yale University? If you look over that article and the web page, you'll find plenty of stuff that isn't in support of Monsanto or "big ag"

The link you provided is to Dr. Lundgren's blog apparently. Not exactly what I'd call a source of unbiased information. If you have a link to a peer reviewed study where Lundgren has published his proof of glyphosate being a major contributor to honeybee colony collapse, I'd be quite interested in reading it.

It isn't his blog, just a site where scientists can share their research with the public.

I have no need to search out anything in order to prove my beliefs to you. If you need peer reviewed research, feel free to go look for it.

You can't just throw statements out there that "glyphosate causes honeybee colony collapse" and not expect to be asked for proof. A lot of time, money, and (valid) research has gone into that subject.

Life isn't as easy as glyphosate and Monsanto are evil and spraying apple trees with (really expensive) foliar supplements stops apple diseases.

The stuff you espouse has some merit and needs to be researched further. I'm all for finding out what really works and what doesn't. I just need some actual proof before believing what I read on the internet.

Another problem that doesn't get headlines is the decline in native bird populations. They eat many bad insect pests. Non-native birds are crowding out some of our best native insect-eaters. That's why some states - including my own - have issued "blank checks" of sorts to kill European starlings, English house sparrows, and others. Another factor to native bird declines is massive habitat destruction of brushy, weedy, overgrown areas for housing developments, strip malls, warehouses, fast-food joints, and banks seemingly every 400 ft. (It's that way in the Eastern states anyway!) Good nesting cover is destroyed faster than guys like us can replant our own land.

Bluebird / swallow houses anyone??

Life isn't as easy as glyphosate and Monsanto are evil

Would have made a lot of money riding that wave. Bayer stock is still up 25% from the California lawsuit a year ago.

Another problem that doesn't get headlines is the decline in native bird populations. They eat many bad insect pests. Non-native birds are crowding out some of our best native insect-eaters. That's why some states - including my own - have issued "blank checks" of sorts to kill European starlings, English house sparrows, and others. Another factor to native bird declines is massive habitat destruction of brushy, weedy, overgrown areas for housing developments, strip malls, warehouses, fast-food joints, and banks seemingly every 400 ft. (It's that way in the Eastern states anyway!) Good nesting cover is destroyed faster than guys like us can replant our own land.

Bluebird / swallow houses anyone??
My plots are surrounded with eastern bluebird boxes and purple martin houses. We have lots of bluebirds. Our Martins dropped way off the last 2 yrs. Not sure why.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The Wisconsin DNR just posted on Facebook today that continental bird populations have declined by 30% since 1970, for a loss of 2.9 billion birds.

I thought I read somewhere that house cats are one of the biggest reasons for decline in bird populations all around the world.

don't know how easily they can catch a Martin though.

I thought I read somewhere that house cats are one of the biggest reasons for decline in bird populations all around the world.

don't know how easily they can catch a Martin though.

Feral cats kill billions of birds per year. I shoot every one I see.

Catscratch - We do the bluebird houses too. Either bluebirds or swallows use them. Both good to have around. Washington Hawthorn trees are good for nesting cover for a variety of birds. Numerous thick, thorny branches make secure bird nesting.