All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best cold weather - water proof hunting boot?

j-bird

Well I am fed up with my lacrosse boots. I got about a year out of them the first time around and then they popped a seam and leaked. I sent them back to Lacrosse and they sent me another pair - for free. Well guess what...... yep - now those are leaking again after about a year of use. Don't get me wrong I use them for a lot more than just hunting, but for the price I expect to get more than a year out of them.

Most of you boys hunt in conditions a whole lot colder than I do - so what sort of boot do you use?

I have Lacrosse Alphaburly 18" - am I expecting too much from a pair of $150 boots?

Not sure how much that stuff would help with a rubber boot like an Alphaburly?

Not sure how much that stuff would help with a rubber boot like an Alphaburly?
I don't think at all. It's for leather. These are not my boots but they are similar in that the toe region is leather. That's what wore out on mine, the toes. From kneeling while still hunting and ice hunting. I should've taken before and after treatment photos.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hert...00+gram+boot&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

Maybe those are a better choice in the long run. I know the rubber has it's advantages for scent control, but back in the day when I was much poorer than I am right now, instead of paying the big bucks for high end waterproof boots, I just bought the warmest boot I could afford and some cheap Fleet Farm 5 buckle rubber overshoes for walking to my stand or in marshy areas. Does anyone else do that, or is my cheap sorry @$$ the only one?

Maybe those are a better choice in the long run. I know the rubber has it's advantages for scent control, but back in the day when I was much poorer than I am right now, instead of paying the big bucks for high end waterproof boots, I just bought the warmest boot I could afford and some cheap Fleet Farm 5 buckle rubber overshoes for walking to my stand or in marshy areas. Does anyone else do that, or is my cheap sorry @$$ the only one?
The 2000 gram boots I bought were well under $100 at the time. Since buying them I don't need or use foot warmers or boot covers. And unless it's really cold I just wear a single pair of everyday white socks.

I like my 18" insulated rubber boots just because if I want to cross a stream to reach a stand I can and I don't have to worry much about it. I don't mind spending some money on good stuff - but I want it to be good stuff that works. I stepped up for some gore-tex coat and bibs a few years ago and they where money well spent and I still use them today. expensive - yep, but I would do it again in a heartbeat!

I can stand hunt in my Muck Arctic Pro's down to about 25 degrees and I get cold hands and feet pretty easily. Lower than that and I have to go to pac boots. They are pretty beat up after 3 years but still don't leak.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toy...eme-Winter-Bark-ACP-998K/9624119/product.html
Now we're talking! I'm a pansy when it comes to the cold and once your feet get cold the fun and the hunt are over. I will tolerate a frozen beard and cold hands, but frozen toes will send me to the house PDQ!

I can stand hunt in my Muck Arctic Pro's down to about 25 degrees and I get cold hands and feet pretty easily. Lower than that and I have to go to pac boots. They are pretty beat up after 3 years but still don't leak.

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys/Muck-Boot-Company-Arctic-Pro-Extreme-Winter-Bark-ACP-998K/9624119/product.html

Same thing here. Any thing lower than 25 and my feet would get cold in the Muck Artic Pro's. I thought it was me so I let my son borrow them once and he rarely get's cold feet and he had the same results.

I gave Lacrosse a shout via e-mail and sent them some pics - we will see how they choose to respond. They replaced them at no cost last time, and I may still let them, but that doesn't mean I won't look for something better. Just annoying having to screw with it. Sounds like the Muck's may b what I am after.

"9 R BATA MICKEY MOUSE BOOTS Extreme Cold Weather -20° Black Military 9R VGC"

$30 on ebay. I've had a pair since around 1987 (the same pair). They are indestructible and the warmest boot I've ever owned. I don't know why I ever try other boots as I always go back to these.

I have the cabelas whitetail extreme boot and I love it. They're waterproof, but only up to a certain point. I pair them with some goretex gators, and I can walk into water almost up to my knee. I've never been too worried about scent on these boots even though they are leather (nylon outers) because I ONLY wear them to hunt. Actually that's a lie, I wore them a few times ice fishing when my other boots leaked. Other than that they come out of a bag at the property, and go back in them after I hunt. They come into the house only if I need to put them on the boot dryer, otherwise they are bagged. I always step on apples before I walk in, so that might help too.

Question:

So originally much of the craze for rubber boots for hunting whitetails was because the rubber doesn't absorb odors like leather. Now, many boots are a combo neoprene-rubber. Do any of you worry/think that this neoprene kind of defeats the purpose because it will absorb scent?

I've never found a pair of boots that I couldn't smell. I've also never found a pair of boots that coyotes didn't go on alert while crossing my walk-in path (some deer check out my walk-in path and some don't). I quit trying to find sent proof boots and made purchases solely on comfort and warmth. With that said, I bought a pair of elemitrax leggings and coyote/deer alertness went to zero on my walk-in paths. I figure if I'm fooling the coyote nose then all is good.

I'm happy with the pair of Muck woody max boots i bought late in the season. on the large side so my toes have plenty of room. But another item I will be using this next winter is anti-perspirent on my feet. Arid extra extra dry spray on works but the "morning xxxx" scent is terrible. Can't find it unscented so may try a roll-on product like Mitchum.

I personally like lighter boots for going in and out and just put on a pair of boot socks if needed once on stand. I have the La Crosse Arrow Head and it has been a good boot for me so far.

Comfort over scent control (rubber) for me anyday. I spray my leather/gore tex boots with doe urine and watch deer cross or even follow down my path without alerting.

Lacrosse Burly 18" rubber with 1200 gram thinsulate. Felt insole 1/2" thick with poly inner socks with heavy wool socks over top. Foot warmer boot inserts if stand sitting.
Scent control / masking ......... don't wear your deer boots anywhere but outside in the field - hunting. What could I find laying around a food plot or apple tree that I could step in, smear all over my boots and not pay a penny for ?? Maybe in several locations from different sources ??

Lacrosse Burly 18" rubber with 1200 gram thinsulate. Felt insole 1/2" thick with poly inner socks with heavy wool socks over top. Foot warmer boot inserts if stand sitting.
Scent control / masking ......... don't wear your deer boots anywhere but outside in the field - hunting. What could I find laying around a food plot or apple tree that I could step in, smear all over my boots and not pay a penny for ?? Maybe in several locations from different sources ??
How long have you had them? I can't seem to get more than a good years worth out of mine. I also did notice on the tag that mine are made in China. Mine seem to have pulled apart at the seem. The material didn't fail it was the joining process - in my opinion.

How long have you had them? I can't seem to get more than a good years worth out of mine. I also did notice on the tag that mine are made in China. Mine seem to have pulled apart at the seem. The material didn't fail it was the joining process - in my opinion.

I believe all Lacrosse boots are made in China. In my opinion that is when the durability went to crap on their boots.