Late season hunting

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
Our bow season goes until mid January. If you still had a target buck, and it was missing an antler, would you pass it up? I was informed my neighbor just got him. I personally would let it walk until next year, but I guess he is proud of it, and that is what it’s about.

I am out hunting now, and planned to hunt a lot the next week or so, but with not seeing anything else on camera that is worth shooting, it was kind of a gut punch. I’m not saying another big one may not be around, but this late in the season, I don’t think they are in rut and on hoof much. I will probably still do some hunting, but it would be more like enjoying quiet time in my own personal little fort.

Shoot a broken buck or shed one side? Lord no.

Yeah late season is a great excuse to relax, start some habitat work, watch football, and hunt when the mood strikes

I have shooting lanes that need to be addressed, and this would be a great time to do it. Tomorrows project now.

Our bow season goes until mid January. If you still had a target buck, and it was missing an antler, would you pass it up?
Even if I had a tag, I think I would pass. At this point of the season I tend to focus on does. However, I would never criticize someone for harvesting a target deer just because it shed (or broke) an antler. They are still just as elusive with one antler.

pass...

I would pass !

I work with about 40 or so hunters. Many of the big horn chasers get them late in the seasons, bow, rifle. Nicest one I ever shot was about a few years at every daygo 1st maybe begining of 2nd week of December. Those guys gotta eat, and theirs less of good nutrition every day on till spring.

Freezer can't fit another deer, so won't be getting a PA tag for flintlock. Still hve 2 tags for NY too. Will go out another day and maybe the last hour after work once or twice on public land.

Most of our bucks dont drop until early Feb. We get awfully careful about looking at their heads before we shoot, though. A few have already started dropping

Some of the biggest bucks around here get killed late season, bow season is on until early Feb.
Food is the key late season.

Some of the biggest bucks around here get killed late season, bow season is on until early Feb.
Food is the key late season.
Ny northern zone gets a week of archery 2nd week of december. Maybe you hunting blind guys can do something. Just wearing all that fluff to keep warm just to have it rub the bowstring......... Maybe they got better stuff these days. ON the other end, cutting up a deer like a hibachi ninja on a early october 70 degree day......

USed to bring a bow with me 1st or 2nd year of muzzleloader. Hunted at my mom property. Bow towards the house, muzzleloader towards the swamo. All great hunting until a neighbor dug out the end of the swamp and it drained a good foot. No more swamp edge......

Totally depends on the circumstances. If I'm likely to get a shot next year, then yes. But if I won't be hunting there next year, bought an expensive tag, and haven't shot a deer yet, I'd shoot him.