Bears and trophy rock

DDC

A good 3 year old buck
Anyone else having issues with bears running off with their trophy rock? I have had 3 now disappear after one week.

I usually find them about 20 yards away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I find them knocked off the stump and rolled around a bit, but have not lost one.

I saw somewhere where a guy somehow drilled a hole thru one and mounted it on a post or hung from a tree (to keep it away from hogs) - wonder if you could do something similar but run a cable thru it and then to a tree or something to keep the bear from running off with it. Just a thought. I am not sure how easily running a hole entirely thru one without it fracturing would be. I also don;t know how well it will hold up to bear abuse with a hole in it either. If it breaks it just makes it that much easier for the bear to take off with.

I wish they were only 20 yards away. I searched and searched each time to no avail. The idea of securing them is a good one but I think I am going to a ground up mineral instead. Just was curious if anyone else had similar issues. Although I am square in the heart of a very high bear density area. They steal my chickens too

I stopped using mineral rocks awhile back because of bears. But not because they were stealing my mineral rocks, but because they would mess with my camera I had in front of the mineral rocks. They are a curious animal, and when they find this cool round shaped toy rock that tastes kinda yummy, they roll around next to it, lay on it, and just hang out by it. That gives them ample time to find new things to mess with that they see, like my cameras, or climb in my deer stand and bend shit. Now I try to avoid stuff that attracts bear, including my choice in what is in my food plots.

trophy rock also makes the mineral ground up or powder. I would switch to that. I have heard of a quite a few rocks disappearing.

I don't use trophy rocks but have had 3 different mineral blocks grow legs in the last couple of years. All from bears. Need to find a way to secure them to the stumps.