New House Build

Finally kicked my framing help on down the road today! LOL Actually they were a good bunch to work with and I told the youngest one I would give him a call when I need some assistance on something. He is only 24 but has a good head on his shoulders and is currently trying to get into the fire fighter academy through the Topeka fire department. Phase 2 starts next week, windows, doors, siding, HVAC, electrical and rough plumbing. Now the grind will set in, framing always goes quick and the pace slows down a bunch on remainder. Roofers showed up ahead of schedule and we weren't ready for them to put the underlayment on all of the roof. They will be back in the morning or early next week.

distant view of house.jpg

front of house wrapped 614.jpggarage end wrapped 614.jpgback side house wrap 614.jpgdouble bedroom in house wrap 614.jpgright of front door 614.jpgfire place view from front door 614.jpgleft of front door framed 614.jpgoffice dried in 614.jpg

Looks great don't forget to prewire with ethernet and if you have fiber in area they will need to run a power wire in

I don’t envy you in the process. I’ve built three houses and at my age I am done. The easiest one was a 1200 sqare foot weekend house on a place we used to own. The house we live in is about 2600 feet and we love it so here we’ll be until I croak at least. 😁

At first it’s kinda fun, until, like you suggested, the inside starts. I think I fired three paint crews before we got it finished ! Although it’s exasperating, you can save some money, if not time. I shot myself in the foot by not putting in some piers on the side that had the most fill, and had to come back with a foundation crew to stabilize the slab after we had lived in it a couple of years. Trying to save a buck cost me two. 😖 Almost nobody does basements down here, mostly because of tradition I guess, and groundwater. That’s something I wish we had. Good place to build a storm room, and that’s a good place to be during one of our frequent tornado threats.

Your build looks like it’s going at about the standard pace, and the floor plan looks great. I’m sure when it’s finished you will enjoy it.

I don’t envy you in the process. I’ve built three houses and at my age I am done. The easiest one was a 1200 sqare foot weekend house on a place we used to own. The house we live in is about 2600 feet and we love it so here we’ll be until I croak at least. 😁

At first it’s kinda fun, until, like you suggested, the inside starts. I think I fired three paint crews before we got it finished ! Although it’s exasperating, you can save some money, if not time. I shot myself in the foot by not putting in some piers on the side that had the most fill, and had to come back with a foundation crew to stabilize the slab after we had lived in it a couple of years. Trying to save a buck cost me two. 😖 Almost nobody does basements down here, mostly because of tradition I guess, and groundwater. That’s something I wish we had. Good place to build a storm room, and that’s a good place to be during one of our frequent tornado threats.

Your build looks like it’s going at about the standard pace, and the floor plan looks great. I’m sure when it’s finished you will enjoy it.

Not the 1st rodeo I have been part of, just my 1st for our personal residence and serving as the GC. I don't foresee building anything of this size again in my lifetime. I would like to build a "cabin" back home in Nebraska at some point so that I have a place to go hang out every now and then. Maybe a 1,000 square feet. I am grateful that I was able to get these guys to give me a hand with the heavy lifting. It wouldn't have been possible without someone with the big equipment when it came to setting some of our trusses.

Not the 1st rodeo I have been part of, just my 1st for our personal residence and serving as the GC. I don't foresee building anything of this size again in my lifetime. I would like to build a "cabin" back home in Nebraska at some point so that I have a place to go hang out every now and then. Maybe a 1,000 square feet. I am grateful that I was able to get these guys to give me a hand with the heavy lifting. It wouldn't have been possible without someone with the big equipment when it came to setting some of our trusses.

A 1,000sf cabin? My house is 1,200!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Place is looking GREAT! I really like watching the progress as it comes together.

It's getting me antsy to start our house build. I'm trying to hold off another year or two to save up as much as we can towards it. Hopefully we won’t have to borrow that much at all….at least that is the plan.
As soon as ours is up and over with its retirement time!

A 1,000sf cabin? My house is 1,200!

With your building skills I am sure you will be adding on soon enough!

With your building skills I am sure you will be adding on soon enough!

This is true. What is your sf on the new house? The floor plan looks great! I like the openness of the great room/kitchen/dining. I am following your build closely for ideas.

This is true. What is your sf on the new house? The floor plan looks great! I like the openness of the great room/kitchen/dining. I am following your build closely for ideas.

Just over 3,000. I honestly don't feel like it seems like 3k. I mean there is plenty of space, but I just look around while standing inside it and don't feel like it seems like its overly big. Now when you are in the basement it seems like it is huge.