Antonovka vs B.118

Thanks Stu & Maya for the info. The link you posted, Stu, is a good one. Many interesting links & places to click from the one you gave.
Maya - The apple, crab, and pear trees we planted the last 2 springs all have alum. window screen, landscape cloth and 3-4" of pea-sized limestone gravel covering the landscape cloth. Additionally, we spray around the edges of the 40" x 40" cloth to kill any weeds trying to encroach. Concrete mesh cages. And we mow the whole planted area w/ a riding mower. Trees are on high ground on a gentle sloping south exposure. Plenty of breeze, no water draining probs.

I learned almost all of that stuff from some apple tree-growing, habitat- addicted nerds on here and an " older, Q-site " forum !!! :D :) I'm really grateful to all of you guys on here for all the info you post. Good, practical stuff. Still learning something new every day. I'll share what I can, too.

I don't think you have a thing to worry about Bows. Except it doesn't make sense that they would have posted one root and then switched it. Those trees were grafted and grown over a year or two. You can't switch it in the middle. They probably over sold or the B118 did not grade out. Regardless, good luck!

What do you guys think about this Antonovka root stock for Mo? In descent rocky clay soil. Everything I have read, states it is a tough as nails standard tree that will live a long life. I want to ensure my kids can tell my grandkids that their hard headed grandpa planted these apple trees! I currently have both m111 an B118 on my place. All are doing well except one finicky honeycrisp. . Im thinking about ordering 10 or 20 just to make a first attempt at grafting.

Very impressed with these Antonovka from burntridge compared to B-118. I think I will only graft to Antonovka from here on out... Here is a pic side by side. Look at the tap root on that thing!!!! They weren't lieN when they said carrot like!
image2 (1).JPG

I've got some apples and crabs on Antonovka growing at camp. They've been in the ground 2 and 3 years. I can tell you they are growing great. Our soil is a clayish loam a little on the heavier side but it drains well. Antonovka is supposed to take a few years longer than B-118 to fruit - 8 to 10 yrs. compared to B-118's 5 or 6 yrs. from what I've read at numerous sources.

Antonovka, first year in the ground - not a lot of growth. 2nd year, good growth. 3rd year, they really took off. As deep as the roots go on Antonovka can only be a good thing, especially during dry periods I would think. I have 10 coming from SLN on Antonovka.

We have trees on B-118 as well and they're doing fine too.

The P18 is supposed to fruit faster than the average antonovka seedling. Won't be as fast as B118. I am expecting to wait a little longer with those. A number of trees on my cummins order got switched from b118 to p18.

In heavy, rocky soils...antonovka is hard to beat for stability, longevity, and production. As long as you don't mind waiting a decade or so anyway ;)
I'm young;) I want trees to out live my grand kids!