All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Alternative Brassica types

Jay-Mar sells turnips, clover, and chicory by the pound. You make your own bags just like birdseed from a bin at the local hardware store.
That is the way it was when we bought from them as well.

I have tried all the varieties that were mentioned in original post. If your goal is to feed well into winter get the variety that produces the biggest tubers, if your goal is to have a good amount of leaf material left for gun season then the hybrids produce a lot more leaf forage. I usually have a mix that gives me both.

I planted apin, and barkarant one year, didn't get impressed by either one. back to ptt and ghr for me, but I was suckered in to a bag of big and beasty.

badger, is that "local" to home or "local" to Juneau?

I think you could get them cheaper up at the coop in Mauston, might be worth a call if you need some. I don't recall ever seeing the price for PPT and daikon radish quite that high up there. The price on the DER seems to be right around what we would pay. We did get some DER seed late one winter that was leftover from the season before and got that for $0.75/lb

I get most of my seed from Kesters in Omro because it's convenient. Call ahead and they have your order waiting. they are not the cheapest but have everything I've ever wanted, and since I'm not buying for acres and acres of plots $5 or $10 doesn't really matter. If I was planting larger areas I'd like some of you I'd pay more attention to the prices.

I get most of my seed from Kesters in Omro because it's convenient. Call ahead and they have your order waiting. they are not the cheapest but have everything I've ever wanted, and since I'm not buying for acres and acres of plots $5 or $10 doesn't really matter. If I was planting larger areas I'd like some of you I'd pay more attention to the prices.
I love Kester's. Good assortment of seed, some you can't get everywhere, pleasant to deal with, and pretty knowledgeable about what they sell. I lived in Omro for a year and visited with them frequently, now I stop over there whenever I am visiting my daughter in Oshkosh, at least for the mean time until she moves back over here to the west "coast".

If you come in from the Interstate, you have to make a right turn and go over the bridge and into the "downtown" area. From there you take a right at the first stop light over the bridge and then go like 2 blocks until you get to the street before the courthouse and take a left. then 2 blocks down on the left.

Duh!!! When you said "lake", I'm thinking Castle Rock and you are obviously talking Redstone. See the map I marked up. When coming into Mauston on Hwy 58 from Redstone, turn right on LaCrosse St.(it will take you right behind the old Courthouse and in front of the new Justice Center/County Sheriff's Dept) go down 2 blocks and take another right and it is down one block on the left. Pretty easy. 58 from Redstone to the coop.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry:oops: about the remedial directions, but YUP! That's it! Not a one way, but when you turn onto Milwaukee, it will look like you're driving into residential and not to a very co-opy looking area. lol

They are open, but very weird, limited hours. Like 9am til noon or maybe 1pm. Here is the number, it might be best to call them. (608) 847-7501