Tried my first brassica plot today

Someday isle

5 year old buck +
I've really been waffling back and forth on what to do with my food plot trails this year. I worked on widening several trails this year and opened them up to more light as well. I have two new areas I'm opening up that will be more irregular shaped food plots in addition to the logging roads trails I put in last year. I should have right at an acre and a half of total plot area when it's all done. I had kind of convinced myself that even though I really wanted to try a brassica plot I'd probably be better off sticking with the cereal grain mix everywhere again this year. My clover got off to a good start last fall and this spring but then we got hit with a hot dry spell and it kind of fizzled in several spots while others have held on okay. The radish tops in the mix I planted over Labor Day weekend last year got lots of use but didn't develop any tubers or get very big.

I did soil tests in several areas over the winter and worked on adding lime and fertilizer this past spring. I had plans to go do a little work on one of my new areas this weekend and then we got a cool spell forecast for the next two weeks along with a 90% chance of rain today and a 100% chance all day tomorrow. So yesterday I went to the local grain store and bought some seed and a little additional fertilizer. The area is three logging road trails that converge into one spot near one of the waterholes I put in a couple weeks ago. It's a total of 36% of an acre so I wanted a pound of purple top turnips, a pound of dwarf essex rape and 2 lbs of GHFR. They didn't have any rape seed so I went with 2 lbs of turnips instead and when I watched him weigh the radish it was pretty obvious he put in too much. When I mentioned it to him he said "yeah, no big deal, I always throw in a little extra". I put it all down so hopefully it's not too much.

I put down 100 lbs of 6-24-24' and disked under what was left of the clover and the accompanying weeds. I use an ATV with a 60 inch disc that I've added about 85 lbs of weight on so it took a few passes to get it like I wanted it. I had intended to then cultipack, spread the turnips, then the radish, then pack again. The rain arrived about three hours early though. I looked at the radar and it looked like it was going to rain hard and for a while so I hustled back to the truck, put all the seed in one earthway bag, mixed it up and just spread it all over the freshly disked ground without packing. It took me three trips up and down each trail because I barely opened the spreader door not wanting to spread it to thick. By the time I was done I was soaking wet and according to the radar it rained steady for two hours straight with more on the way yet tonight and tomorrow. We also have chances of rain a couple days next week with temps in the low eighties.

I figured worst case scenario is I have a failed plot and I'll put down the cereal mix over Labor Day weekend again but other than not getting to pack it in the rain timing sure seemed to work out perfect. It was fun anyway.

As a side note - it doesn't look like the deer have found my waterholes yet but hopefully this rain helps fill them up some more.

Last edited:
Good luck!!

Sounds like you nailed it with the rain. I cant imagine a much better scenario. Hope it works out!

Thanks. It actually rained solid out there all night long. Temps are forecast to be no higher than 84 degrees for the next two weeks with a chance of rain several days. Very good luck with the timing. Hopefully that also revives the clover I had left over the next few weeks until I put in my cereal grain pots over Labor Day.

Weather underground shows that we got 1.25 inches of rain out at our property yesterday and today. That should be a good start.

Last edited:
I don't think it could have worked out better. In a couple weeks you will have a green carpet of deer food.

When I plant brassica's it drys out for weeks......
You did good.

....same here.

When I plant brassica's it drys out for weeks......
You did good.
Weather was obviously the deciding factor for me. I wasn't going to try it this year, annd maybe my soil condition isn't ready for brassicas yet anyway, but it wasn't very expensive to try it and it was hard to look past a perfect forecast (which the weather man nailed, that doesn't seem to happen often in this part of the world). I'm going out Friday so hopefully I'll see a few sprouts and take some pictures.

We got another .18 of rain today out at "The Island". I'm headed out again tomorrow to do some mowing and then do a little clearing work on Saturday. It's only been six days but I can't wait to see if there's any germination.

some guys get all the luck :)

some guys get all the luck :)
And another .39 this morning. Hopefully this moisture stays around through Labor Day when we do our cereal grain mix on everything else. I'm heading out in a few minutes but I was pretty happy to see that another batch of rain moved through overnight. It should be all done by the time I get out there today. Hopefully I'll have a few pictures to share. Now I Just need to temper my expectations.

And another .39 this morning. Hopefully this moisture stays around through Labor Day when we do our cereal grain mix on everything else. I'm heading out in a few minutes but I was pretty happy to see that another batch of rain moved through overnight. It should be all done by the time I get out there today. Hopefully I'll have a few pictures to share. Now I Just need to temper my expectations.

You should have little sprouts popping up all over!

Congrats on the rain.. still can't catch a break here!

0C10162E-006A-4810-8017-809D601E3148.JPG B2FDA474-2404-4B56-A7CD-DB528612A9E7.JPG IMG_1086.JPG IMG_1088.JPG IMG_1089.JPG I Woke up early and got an early start today. Great germination by my standards. I also checked on my waterholes. They're full! Then I did some mowing in a new area I'm clearing.

You did GREAT! Mother nature was right on point with the rain. Hope you continue to get about an inch a week and you'll be fine. Brassicas love nitrogen so give them plenty. They like about 75 lbs of nitrogen per acre so with a little over a third of an acre, give them about 30 lbs total. Put out about 15 lbs now and another 15 lbs at the 3 to 4 leaf stage or in about a month. Good Luck and keep the PICS coming.

Last edited: