how early is too early for brassica

j-bird

OK - the rain here has totally set my corn plots back to the point where I have little hope for them to produce an actual food source. Between stunted growth and not being able to control weeds, both due to standing water and almost bog/swamp like soil conditions I'm moving on to plan "B". As such I'm looking at over-seeding these plots with turnips and radish, and then later with rye. I'm going to leave the corn alone to provide a sense of security in the plot and if by some chance it produces a few ears so be it.

I know now is too early and I typically wait until the corn or beans start to dry down before overseeding, but I don't think I want to wait that long this year. My deer don't typically consume much in the way of brassica but I plant it as an insurance plant just in case. I fear the deer may not eat it so well because I may be planting too late and the plant not maturing. So with my situation I figured I can plant earlier (hopefully even get it to dry out enough to hit the plots with gly, though it might be frick'n August).

So how soon can I plant without being too early?

I'm looking at PPT, maybe some appin turnip and GFR

I don't think you would have an issue getting them in as soon as soil conditions allow. What USDA Zone are you in 5b?

I agree with stu, no DER or dwarf Siberian kale for sure. I have a feeling they would bolt and possibly go to seed. Wait until at least mid August if you want to use those. A long season brassica planted now and some short season ones later when you put your rye down wouldn't be a terrible plan either.

I don't think you would have an issue getting them in as soon as soil conditions allow. What USDA Zone are you in 5b?
Wisc - Technically I'm in 6a (it's in my tag line) but I am right in a transition area of 5b & 6a

I'd think the recommended date down there would be the end of July through mid-August? I wouldn't plant an early maturity brassica now, but longer season stuff would probably be okay to get in soon.
Stu - I listed what I am looking at - is what I have listed (PTT, Appin & GFR) considered "early" or "late"? i typically plant them about mid to late August, but that is to allow the row crops to dry down some to allow some sunlight to reach the seed as well. Corn won't be tall or thick enough to worry about that this year in my plots in most cases.

Only reason I ask is that I have really wet soil conditions now and seem to get a decent rain every other day or so. I figure it will be my luck as soon as I wait for it to dry out we won't get another drop of rain until next spring! Was planning on following up with rye a little later as well.

Appin is listed as 60-100, we typically saw 75-85 days on it when we planted them. Green Globe turnips might be better than PPT, as they mature about 15-20 days later as I recall. PPT 75-90 days, GG 90-120 days.

Cool thanks guys - never paid much attention in the past because they where sure planted as insurance. They may be actually needed this year. Hope the deer actually eat them - picky eaters!

I used to plant brassicas Aug 1-15 but ran into the moisture issue and not much to show, now I plant when there a good rain around mid July