A story of frustration, and a less than awesome solution

Fat guy in a tree.jpg
Funny stuff !! I bet the tee-shirts would sell.

Bill ..... post #240 -

I see the same thing here as the season goes along. I think it's a combination of a couple things. Even on 200 acres, it's easy for the deer to pattern US and OUR movements to & from stands. So they avoid us and our travels. Then we have the rut to contend with, when bucks are running all over the countryside looking for receptive does. I hear it from neighboring camps too - bucks they see all summer and early fall suddenly disappear. Bachelor groups of bucks break up and the younger ones are driven off to find their own "home range."

I've read studies by deer biologists and anecdotal stories of KNOWN or RADIO-TRACKED bucks that turn up as far away as 10 or 15 MILES from their home cover / territory !! Bucks with unique racks that spent the summer in area "X" - are killed 10 miles away and are identified by guys that recognized their unique racks. Guys report seeing a big bruiser in the fall that they never saw all summer - wonder where he came from. I think it's just how bucks behave as the fall progresses and the rut steers them.

That property is about 60 miles from me and I know the area very well. Not sure of the exact location but tends to flood annually. Quality deer country. But I think 247 acres there [ and anywhere ] is too small to game fence. Also I am very familiar with introducing genetics to improve quality. But while I offer no judgement I'm not a fan. Just my opinions.My strategy has always been to work with native genetics. Introducing genetics is common in the south especially Texas.

It is well worth noting though that the asking price is over $6000/acre !!! They will probably get something close to that which shows the power of big bucks. Comparables in that area... my guess....would be closer to $2000-$3000/ acre max. That is deep rural backwoods poverty stricken La. { Can you hear dueling banjo's? }

That property is about 60 miles from me and I know the area very well. Not sure of the exact location but tends to flood annually. Quality deer country. But I think 247 acres there [ and anywhere ] is too small to game fence. Also I am very familiar with introducing genetics to improve quality. But while I offer no judgement I'm not a fan. Just my opinions.My strategy has always been to work with native genetics. Introducing genetics is common in the south especially Texas.

It is well worth noting though that the asking price is over $6000/acre !!! They will probably get something close to that which shows the power of big bucks. Comparables in that area... my guess....would be closer to $2000-$3000/ acre max. That is deep rural backwoods poverty stricken La. { Can you hear dueling banjo's? }
I was being sarcastic. That place is gross. It’s commercial livestock operation. Obviously nothing like what you are doing.

Checking land prices around where we own, I am always surprised by how much more they are getting for land on these sites.
You mean like grant woods place? Guy thinks his turds are worth $100 each

$5,500 an acre isn't really out of line, especially when you add the 5,000 square foot home.
Ive got the last 3 digits in the asking price. If someone could pick up the rest id go halvsies on it.

$5,500 an acre isn't really out of line, especially when you add the 5,000 square foot home.
Ive got the last 3 digits in the asking price. If someone could pick up the rest id go halvsies on it.

I thought that too, for a turn key place with a new 5000 sq ft house, foreman’s quarters, barn, 13 miles of improved roads and trails, established plots, etc. It is a lot of money, but didnt really think it was crazy with what all came with it.

I had heard Bass Pro bought it but I guess not.

I thought that too, for a turn key place with a new 5000 sq ft house, foreman’s quarters, barn, 13 miles of improved roads and trails, established plots, etc. It is a lot of money, but didnt really think it was crazy with what all came with it.

I had heard Bass Pro bought it but I guess not.
You also get the benefit of him being right next door and helping out with things for a few years.

I saw a property a couple miles from me go out for lease for 7,000 ... for the 1st through the 28th of November. And they got it. Somewhere around 80 acres.
So yeah, 5 grand give or take an acre to own it? I would if i could

I was being sarcastic. That place is gross. It’s commercial livestock operation. Obviously nothing like what you are doing.
I know you were and I also agree with you on that property.

Here is the way that deal will go down. A DR. or lawyer with 7 figure annual income that works 80 hours a week will tour the property. See a few of the big bucks and write the check out of his checking account. He will build a beautiful; 5-7000 sq. ft hunting lodge on it. Kill a couple 200"+ bucks over the first few years. But after several years the property will become grossly overpopulated, the store bought genetics will be diminished by inadequate nutrition and quality will tank. The owner being extremely bright but inexperienced with habitat and deer mgt. will try to solve the problem by buying more top quality genetics to release. This will only exacerbate the overpopulation problem. The habitat will have a browse line that looks like a cattle farm and the deer never recover. Of course in that country the Black Rivver could flood killing every deer on the property....depending on exactly where its located.

I've seen this played before, and been unsuccessfully involved trying to help in such circumstances. But I also look at it this way. The new owner is at least investing in an outdoor experience and it probably will bring a lot of joy and excitement. I'm ok with that

Probably not a bad price. I'll sell mine for $5,000 an acre and I have bigger deer then they show on his place.
$500/acre discount because my house is a dump :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

My wife is from San Francisco { I saved her...so I say } I often tease that we could sell our farm with home on it and buy a modest condo in San Francisco. Think we will stay where we are.

if you can find me land within 45 minutes of my place I'll take all I can get at 5500 an acre. But that's the way it is around here.

We have vacant land selling for 50-60k then you have to start excavating, well, and septic to boot.

But recreational land is $6500-8000 per in my area.

Rich amish area? Do they do a lot of the bidding up?

Rich amish area? Do they do a lot of the bidding up?
in short, yes.

The amish are still hard working but are a generation away from working the farm with dad. They still enjoy outdoors things and see the value of sweat equity time with kids, but work in manufacturing and go home to their 2 acres, house, farm, and fairly large family.

They have the disosable income to buy 20-40 acres within an hour and take their kids out hunting. That drives the prices up...
They also don't have to have all the toys the english have, so they're ok with 50% of their income or more going to a mortgage payment...

Its a weird niche market

Wow, that's crazy
Not really. Thats close albeit a little higher to what they get around here. Unbuildable swamp would fetch around 2,000 or more an acre here.