350 Legend

Buddy killed a deer last night with the 350. 50 yard quartering to. killed em effectively, but no blood trail or exit.

165 gr FTX loads

Buddy killed a deer last night with the 350. 50 yard quartering to. killed em effectively, but no blood trail or exit.

165 gr FTX loads
How far did she run?

How far did she run?
75 yards or so. It was effectively dead, but didn't penetrate the way you'd hope and blow thru the other side.

He's also an idiot and shot a fawn. knucklehead

Saturday evening we handed it off to my 8 year old and he had a shot opportunity broadside at around 50 yards. Double lung, full pass thru, blowing blood everywhere and he died against the tree at the woodline. Probably didn't go further than 40 yards

First ever buck and he shot it sitting with his grandpa. Pretty cool moment. Wish we'd have gotten better pictures, but he was pretty excitedowens buck 1.jpg

Congrats to your son. Very cool deer and picture.

A gun I didn't know about til today was the cva cascade. I see now it's been discussed in this thread. Called all around this morning and ended up making a 4 hour road trip to buy it. Got the brown camo, cerakote model. Bought 60 rounds of ammo tonight from Bear Creek. Not screwing around and letting another slug type debacle happen. After the past 3 years I was picturing having no rifle, no ammo, obsolete slug guns and round ball lead slugs. I'll pull my zeiss diavari off the savage 210 for now. Are you guys still liking your cascades?

A gun I didn't know about til today was the cva cascade. I see now it's been discussed in this thread. Called all around this morning and ended up making a 4 hour road trip to buy it. Got the brown camo, cerakote model. Bought 60 rounds of ammo tonight from Bear Creek. Not screwing around and letting another slug type debacle happen. After the past 3 years I was picturing having no rifle, no ammo, obsolete slug guns and round ball lead slugs. I'll pull my zeiss diavari off the savage 210 for now. Are you guys still liking your cascades?

Have you not had good results with slug guns? Ours are incredibly accurate. They are all built on 1100 actions. Most have rifled barrels with cantaliever scope mounts. But even the smooth bore one can do 4" groups with foster slugs. My uncle's and cousins have 870s and some Savage bolt guns that are quite accurate. Never seen a deer lost that was hit with a slug in our camp.

We've enjoyed pretty good success with the Savage bolt slug guns. Before that it was an 870 and Mossberg, which were fair but poorer. That said, the writing is on the wall. Premium slugs have been discontinued. Accutips and Partition Golds. Not taking a step backwards with fosters. We left those 30 years ago. Thru many hours of searching I was able to find Deer Season XP for dad's 220 and Barnes Vor-tx for my 12 ga. Not happy with how either have been flying. I had high hopes for the Barnes because we loved them when put in Federal and Rem shells. Now (in Barnes shell) they just wouldn't pattern at 100.

We've enjoyed pretty good success with the Savage bolt slug guns. Before that it was an 870 and Mossberg, which were fair but poorer. That said, the writing is on the wall. Premium slugs have been discontinued. Accutips and Partition Golds. Not taking a step backwards with fosters. We left those 30 years ago. Thru many hours of searching I was able to find Deer Season XP for dad's 220 and Barnes Vor-tx for my 12 ga. Not happy with how either have been flying. I had high hopes for the Barnes because we loved them when put in Federal and Rem shells. Now (in Barnes shell) they just wouldn't pattern at 100.

I just talked to my dad, and he said they were True Ball slugs, not regular Foster slugs. But they are crazy accurate in the smooth bore. I think he bought a pile of them on sale long ago.

The first question is "Are the accurate?", but the next question is "How far are they accurate?". Slugs, tend to tumble much sooner than bullets. Smaller diameter slugs in sabots through a rifle barrel don't tumble as fast as rifled slugs, but generally faster than bullets. One might be talking about 75 yards with a rifled slug in a smooth barrel. With a modern rifled barrel shotgun 200 yards is possible but probably pushing the limit. I'm not sure when accuracy degrades for a straight walled cartridge centerfire.

I just talked to my dad, and he said they were True Ball slugs, not regular Foster slugs. But they are crazy accurate in the smooth bore. I think he bought a pile of them on sale long ago.
I'll second the tru ball slugs are very accurate through a smooth bore. Regardless rifle over shotgun any day for me.

Going to sight in my kids' 350 Savage today. I don't have a scope ready yet for the 450 Cascade, so that will have to wait. Hopefully not too long of a wait because it has a MOA guarantee time limit of 2 wks. When we'd sight in the slug guns, we like to clean the barrel after every shot. Should I be doing that with these new rifles? Seems the youtubers don't. I don't have much precision rifle experience in my life.

Going to sight in my kids' 350 Savage today. I don't have a scope ready yet for the 450 Cascade, so that will have to wait. Hopefully not too long of a wait because it has a MOA guarantee time limit of 2 wks. When we'd sight in the slug guns, we like to clean the barrel after every shot. Should I be doing that with these new rifles? Seems the youtubers don't. I don't have much precision rifle experience in my life.

There are various recommendations for barrel break ins but with the ranges and number of shots you will probably should I would clean good before shooting to make sure all the oil is gone and call it good if it were me unless accuracy isn’t good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the Cascade isn't a high end gun, per say, but it's a rebranded Bergara.

I have it in the 350 Legend and a 243. The 350 will jam occasionally, but the 243 is slick and both put rounds where I want them. All I'm looking for here.

Congrats on a good gun. Shoot straight!

I got a doe with my dad's 350 Legend this morning. Distance about 30 yards. Clean pass though, both lungs and a bit of the heart. Great blood trail, similar to a slug gun, muzzle loader, 45-70, etc. It's a Savage Axis. It performs beautifully. I'm quite impressed by this cartridge. Personally, I like something a bit bigger, but for hunters with recoil limitations in straight-walled rifle states, I think it's great.

20231216_080043.jpg
Good lung blood at the spot where she was shot.
20231216_080520.jpg
Excellent blood trail
20231216_081134.jpg
Pretty good exit wound.
20231216_080819.jpg
She only ran about 50 or 60 yards. I saw her topple over, so I didn't need the blood trail, but I wanted to check it out for the sake of judging the cartridge. Overall I quite like the gun and the ammo. I believe it's called Winchester Deer Season.

Sounds good. How do you like the Axis? Between shotguns and a BLR, I really like browning guns. I bought an Axis, totally couldn't shoot the accutrigger. Gun would go off before I wanted it to about 2/3's the time. Didn't take it out in 2022 when I bought it because ofthat. Put a timmey trigger in it, set it about as stiff as it can get and added a 1/12th of a turn to the creep seetting from factory. I like the gun now, still need to do more range work. Bought brownell's alumahyde epoxy paint. However, brain says get a better 308...... Without anything to back it up, except the old trigger. I also put a fullfield II on it and burris elite rings n base. Stock scope any good? 46 year old eye's keep picking up scoped guns when I hunt. Didn't even bring the flintlock out to hunt this year. Debating whether to use the scope for 22. Also, got an itch to get 223 bolt gun too lately. Tempted when bass pro had their black frday sale on them, and they were camo too.

Last edited:
Sounds good. How do you like the Axis? Between shotguns and a BLR, I really like browning guns. I bought an Axis, totally couldn't shoot the accutrigger. Gun would go off before I wanted it to about 2/3's the time. Didn't take it out in 2022 when I bought it because ofthat. Put a timmey trigger in it, set it about as stiff as it can get and added a 1/12th of a turn to the creep seetting from factory. I like the gun now, still need to do more range work. Bought brownell's alumahyde epoxy paint. However, brain says get a better 308...... Without anything to back it up, except the old trigger. I also put a fullfield II on it and burris elite rings n base. Stock scope any good? 46 year old eye's keep picking up scoped guns when I hunt. Didn't even bring the flintlock out to hunt this year. Debating whether to use the scope for 22. Also, got an itch to get 223 bolt gun too lately. Tempted when bass pro had their black frday sale on them, and they were camo too.

I think the Axis is excellent value for money. I have one in 308 and 223, and my dad has the 350. None of them have Accutriggers because we also do not like it and don't want it. All three of them shoot great.

The 223 didn't come with a scope. That was intentional. The 308 came with a Bushnell POS that was defective and never worked. I even sent it in to have it fixed, and they sent it back without fixing it. So I threw it away and put Bushnell on permanent boycott.

The Weaver scope that came with the 350 seems to work fine, but I only used it the once. I have a Leupold scopes on both my Savages now.

I only buy optics from Vortex, Leopold, Zeiss, and Nikon. In addition to the poor experience with Bushnell, I had a bad experience with a Simmons scope a long time ago, so I just don't have the patience to deal with companies I don't trust anymore. I simply can't afford Swarovski and Night Force, etc.

As for rifles, I like Savage, especially stainless steel models. My shotguns are mostly Remington. I don't own anything from Browning, so I don't really have any experience with their guns.

If I was spending Savage money I would buy a Ruger.
Next level up Howa, CVA, Bergara, Tikka.
After those mid level options I call them the skies the limit.
Never before have highly precise economical rifles and optics been this available. It's a good thing hunter numbers are crashing(not really) because the deer wouldn't stand a chance.
Nice shot on that doe, right in the ten ring. 👍

We couldn't get the Bear Creek copper rounds to group well in our cheap Savage XP. That was disappointing. The Win SuperX 180 grain performed way better. Within a year or two we plan to buy a 400 Legend. Might be the sweet spot between the 350 and 450. Probably will look at Ruger or another CVA Cascade.

Shooting the 450 marlin more than 3 or 4 times at the range, you wish it was a 40 caliber.......

Savage Axis rifles can come without accutriggers? Think I spent over $100 for the timney. Just want 4lbs with some depth. Better the aim, the more the squeeze.