350 Legend

The .350 ammo can be tough to get right now . The 155 grain Browning is out of stock & back ordered.
I just got 2 boxes of Bear Creek 160 grain. IL's new season doesn't start til 1/1/23 but at least my kid will be ready!

I just got 2 boxes of Bear Creek 160 grain. IL's new season doesn't start til 1/1/23 but at least my kid will be ready!
Interesting …copper 160 grain. Maybe I’ll try that .

I just shot the 160g Bear Creeks for the first time today. They fly well. 5 shot group @100, 1 flyer..could have been me or I know I dropped one round on the concrete, perhaps I slightly scuffed or deformed the bullet.
IMG_20220828_152444.jpg

3 seasons of experience now with the 350, and consider me unimpressed. Last year alone myself and some buddies killed over 60 antlerless off a farm with our 350s using crop damage permits. Lots of poor blood trails, unrecovered deer and follow up shots required on hits that should have been clean, quick kills. Maybe I'm just too used to thumpers like slugs and 450 bushmasters.

Anyways, hoping the Bear Creek rounds prove to be winners. Previously had been using 170grain Hornady Whitetail ammo. I'll be carrying the 450 outside of antlerless season until these rounds prove themselves with a pile of clean doe kills. If it wasn't for having 2 kids that'll be entering the hunting scene in the next few years I wouldn't even consider using it anymore.

What are typical ranges you're shooting the deer at?

What are typical ranges you're shooting the deer at?
I think most ballistics show it running under 1000 foot pounds at 150 yards. It can be accurate beyond that, but that's a general rule of thumb to not be shooting deer with under that.

I'd shoot my zero to around 150 and be roughly point of impact at anything inside of that. It's flat shooting and works well.

I really wanna use it for doe patrol of field edges this year. I think that'd be a lot of fun.

The .350 ammo can be tough to get right now . The 155 grain Browning is out of stock & back ordered.
it's everywhere around here. Lot of winchester options.

it's everywhere around here. Lot of winchester options.
I guess I was looking for the Browning. But I have enough for 2022. Maybe I’ll try the .160 grain Bear Creek.

I just shot the 160g Bear Creeks for the first time today. They fly well. 5 shot group @100, 1 flyer..could have been me or I know I dropped one round on the concrete, perhaps I slightly scuffed or deformed the bullet.
View attachment 45658

3 seasons of experience now with the 350, and consider me unimpressed. Last year alone myself and some buddies killed over 60 antlerless off a farm with our 350s using crop damage permits. Lots of poor blood trails, unrecovered deer and follow up shots required on hits that should have been clean, quick kills. Maybe I'm just too used to thumpers like slugs and 450 bushmasters.

Anyways, hoping the Bear Creek rounds prove to be winners. Previously had been using 170grain Hornady Whitetail ammo. I'll be carrying the 450 outside of antlerless season until these rounds prove themselves with a pile of clean doe kills. If it wasn't for having 2 kids that'll be entering the hunting scene in the next few years I wouldn't even consider using it anymore.

Interesting observations.. are you hitting deer in the boiler room and still not recovering them ?

How far is the typical shot in this scenario?

Interesting observations.. are you hitting deer in the boiler room and still not recovering them ?

How far is the typical shot in this scenario?

Tough to say for sure where an unrecovered deer is hit. But a few times we've had to finish off deer that we determined were originally hit in the boiler room...and this is an hour+ after the initial hit.

I'd say most shots are 75-125 yards, but there is certainly times that distance has been stretched to 200ish.

I think some people are expecting a bit too much from the 350 Legend. It's a light-recoil cartridge. It sacrifices a lot of energy to deliver on that low recoil. It probably isn't reliably effective beyond 100 yards, and only on broadside or slightly quartering away shots.

I think some people are expecting a bit too much from the 350 Legend. It's a light-recoil cartridge. It sacrifices a lot of energy to deliver on that low recoil. It probably isn't reliably effective beyond 100 yards, and only on broadside or slightly quartering away shots.
I'd stretch that to about 150. but you're not far off... It's been a fantastic gun for my sons to shoot for fun and be confident with, or to take a novice hunter out and know he can put it in the bread box.

However, If I'm buck hunting and want the deer DEAD RIGHT THERE, its the 444

I'd stretch that to about 150. but you're not far off... It's been a fantastic gun for my sons to shoot for fun and be confident with, or to take a novice hunter out and know he can put it in the bread box.

However, If I'm buck hunting and want the deer DEAD RIGHT THERE, its the 444

I use a 45-70 in Ohio. It is an absolute beast of a cartridge. Bullet goes clean through every time, and the deer pile up within a few seconds. My dad uses a 350 Legend since he hurt his shoulder and can't take the recoil of slugs or bigger cartridges.

Just ordered two boxes, thanks for the tip! Good conversation with one of the employees/owner as well. They tested with the Winchester .350 and that is what I have, so should be a good combo.

Tough to say for sure where an unrecovered deer is hit. But a few times we've had to finish off deer that we determined were originally hit in the boiler room...and this is an hour+ after the initial hit.

I'd say most shots are 75-125 yards, but there is certainly times that distance has been stretched to 200ish.

I guess when I think of boiler room I’m thinking heart or lungs. I cannot fathom having to finish off a deer after being hit there over an hour later even with a .350 legend. Those deer are pretty tough.

I also purchased a couple of Cva scouts for the kids in this caliber. My intentions are to let the boys hunt with them next year in IL. I bought a case of deer season Xp anybody have any experience with it? Have had good luck with the sst bullets in other calibers when shot at reasonable speeds. These seem to be similar construction

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350 legends is everywhere in NY. Quite often the only centerfire hunting round on the shelves this year.

Scooped up 308 when I'm not using the 450 marlin browning BLR. Wanted to be done with buying guns n ammo more or less for life before the new gun laws came out in NY....... Savage will treat me ok, but wish I bought a browning now. Long as it slays them ok at 250, im happy. Only unknown is flintlock kits, if they need a background check or not.....

Some gun maker should take a 40 S&W bullet and push it out to 2200-2300fps. I'd scoop one of them up. The gunsmith at the shop I used to buy guns from when I lived in Long Island was a huge fan of using 44 mag from a 1894 or a ruger 10/44. That's a slow RPM big block right there........

I’d definitely question 350 not penetrating a deer shoulder. I wonder what bullet he was using. Bullet construction is far more important than caliber once you’ve reached calibers suitable for deer hunting.

We don’t have any restrictions in NC but 350 is on the list as a possible youth caliber for my kids. Kinda leaning towards 6.5 though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I 100 percent agree. Too many people blame the cartridge for being a failure when in fact it was a poor bullet choice on their part. Choosing a bullet construction that’s designed to perform the way you want at expected impact velocities is very important. I wish as much consideration went into bullet selection as broadhead selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sdoyle,

I actually wanted a 6.5 creedmor more than a 308. Several coworker have one and they love it. Usual mix of woods, hayfields, and large AG fields here in the north catskills.

All year over here in NY. OK Selection of 6.5 creedmor guns, but no ammo. Browning, Savage, Ruger both the basic and better firearm lines too.

I'm looking into a Savage Axis II XP in 350 Legend, anybody have experience with one?

if placed properly, yes...

But the neighbor saw the buck the youth shot saturday. Hurting bad, but still alive.
Not sure a 180 grain would help, but it wouldn't hurt.

Maybe I shoulda just rolled with a 444 and hammered em
I have NEVER used anything but 150 grain in my 30-06 for whitetail. And never needed a second shot. Put it where it's supposed to go and they'll not go past 40 yds