2014 rut reports

D

dipper

lets hear the reports! rubbing and scraping picked up big time over the last 48 hours in central wi. I killed a dandy 14 pointer on 10-20 years back and it was an intense evening hunt with multiple mature bucks rutting it up.

00A9C78A-7C7A-4556-915A-3026AFD6380D.jpg

Had a good Sit yesterday where the Orange dot is. a creek and irrigation pit pinch movement either in the woods where I am, or along the edge of the field I cover. Both fields are standing corn, so the doe groups are really bedding in the thin strip of woods right now. So the sign is crazy, rubs and scrapes all over, which is the yellow dots. The red dots are where mr big is bedding.
Mr big didn't show yesterday, but i saw a couple small bucks. I like hitting this spot early rut so I don't have to hit my primo spots. This spot is as primo as it gets right now though, there is love in the air.

Great Spot right there Dipper. I would get the most comfortable stand I could and sit there all day everyday if I could. knowing it would be just a matter of time until he came by!

Great Spot right there Dipper. I would get the most comfortable stand I could and sit there all day everyday if I could. knowing it would be just a matter of time until he came by!

00A9C78A-7C7A-4556-915A-3026AFD6380D.jpg

Had a good Sit yesterday where the Orange dot is. a creek and irrigation pit pinch movement either in the woods where I am, or along the edge of the field I cover. Both fields are standing corn, so the doe groups are really bedding in the thin strip of woods right now. So the sign is crazy, rubs and scrapes all over, which is the yellow dots. The red dots are where mr big is bedding.
Mr big didn't show yesterday, but i saw a couple small bucks. I like hitting this spot early rut so I don't have to hit my primo spots. This spot is as primo as it gets right now though, there is love in the air.

Talk about a text book location.

I've seen one fresh small rub so far but I admit I have not been in the woods much lately.

No rubs or scrapes yet that we saw last weekend.

Scrapes and rubs blew up in the last 3 days here in NE PA. young bucks are aggressively sparing...have trail cam pics of a spike and fork shoving each other around for an hour and half in my food plot. Older bucks just started showing up on my mock scrapes....right at last light and during the over night hours. Have one trail cam pic of 2 yr old 8 point bumping a doe out of the food plot. Things are definitely picking up and the testosterone levels are surging big time.

You would think its early November the way this place is ripped up right now. I don't have any trail cams here, but I don't need them.
I don't have the will for all dayers right now. I'm gonna be burnt out at some point anyway, with all of November to hunt. I need to save myself with only couple hour sits, but they are gonna be worth it. The bucks are primed!

You would think its early November the way this place is ripped up right now. I don't have any trail cams here, but I don't need them.
I don't have the will for all dayers right now. I'm gonna be burnt out at some point anyway, with all of November to hunt. I need to save myself with only couple hour sits, but they are gonna be worth it. The bucks are primed!

So do you think things are going to be earlier this year or just maintained longer?

I have no idea. I've had shooter bucks hanging with does as early as mid oct-mid dec. There is rubbing and scraping out there right now, but I haven't seen anything to the extent Im seeing here.
It's hunting, Anythings possible!

Sat this past Sat pm and saw plenty of movement. Had a buck stalking a doe out of the marsh up into the woods. He was grunting away.

Scrapes are showing up in the past week.

Thursday is the New Moon and it looks like a low pressure system is moving in ...

Not much happening yesterday, I did have a buck(not sure how big) working his way into the wind last night. I first heard him about a half hour before dark in a thick tamarack patch. Id bet I heard him right from his bed. He moved 50 yards in about 45 minutes. I just barely made out that he was a buck with my binos, well past shooting hours.
I Truely believe central wi bucks are bred wiser than any whitetail I've hunted, and I've hunted deer all over the country. You can't blame it on pressure, no one has hunted this spot all year, and it's only gun hunted a little bit.
That's why they call it hunting, right.
Good chance of rain this morning so I'm scouting.

Thanks for the reports dipper. I've only been out once so far about 2 weeks ago for a single afternoon set next to 80 acres of corn, i only saw one large doe that did not present a shot. I'm jonesin to get out but I'm going to pass this weekend due to very warm temps. My plan is to pull an all day sit on 11/1 and then be in the woods 11/6-8. We'll see how it goes after that.

Good Luck!

Saw one decent fresh rub last night. No deer spotted (again). Sigh

Edit: I should of noted that this was in SE Wisconsin at the small lease I have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a 2 1/2 year old 8 point chase a group of 4 does out of a bean field last night. Next week should start to get pretty good. Not a lot of scrapes popping up at my place in Wisconsin. Next week should get pretty good! I've had 3 different 3 year olds on camera the last few days, makes it fun checking cams!

its looking like the wind is gonna be a go for tomorrow AM and Saturday AM on my property...will be first sit of the year on the property. Decided to pull cards today....high winds and driving rain dropped activity off a bit...but did have two new bucks, a 3 yr old and 2 yr old show up. the 3 came in at last light and the 2 yr old came in after last light. Any day now the a bruiser is gonna cruise through during legal shooting light. Wind and rain should die down tonight so i'm thinking the AM could be a good sit.

I have multiple rubs and scrapes, tonight I was sitting off one of my plots and had 8 does and fawns there at dark and a buck came running into the plot grunting and chased everything off, too dark to tell what he was. I talked to a friend today and
he said he had a buck chasing a doe all morning around him.

I have started getting some stranger bucks on cam. Scrapes and rubs have picked up pretty good in the last 4 days on the farm since the lows got to the low 40s. But with warmer Temps forecasted for the next couple days I bet it will put the brakes on pre-rut activity. Vacation is 2 weeks away and I'm praying for some lower temps

Sat this pm and saw 15 does & 4 bucks. the bucks are clearly starting to chase. Activity is early as I had 4 does in the food plot at 3:15 pm. The 1st buck came out chasing a couple of does at around 4:00 pm. The 2nd largest buck walked a wood line fence at around 4:30, a nice healthy 3 year that was a 10 point and already outside his ears. he is gonna be a nice one in a couple of years.

He stayed in the shadows for 15 minutes rubbing the heck out of a 3" oak tree ... walked out and smelled, licked, & scrapped an over head branch ... then went after the girls.

Great afternoon to start seeing the activity ....

Took a quick walk on the new place this weekend and located a couple fresh rubs. Also lots of older trees on the property with scars from past seasons :D.