2014 rut reports

Yesterday evening sucked for me, I didn't see a deer. I heard one shuffling around the swamp at dusk. I slept in this morning and got in stand at 0830. Seen a buck trying to corner a doe in the middle of a 50 acre field. He wasn't necessarly chasing, he was trying to cut her off. She had to be hot or close too it.
I'm gonna try sitting to dark.

Had 4 young bucks run a doe past me this morning. Biggest was about 110" 8point. The last buck was a ways behind the others. I was hoping it was big boy but turned out to be about a 75lb spike haha. He was grunting like a big dog lol.

Congrats Badger! Your habitat improvements sure have your place going in the right direction!!!

Connected on my biggest buck ever tonight just before dark. 10 points, 15". 10 yards. Went about 40 yds after the shot and crashed. Came to the corner of our field planted with WW, clover, and brassicas. 10 other deer in the field. Came in grunting the whole way.

Edit: measured again after cutting the head off. 15" inside. Didn't hit the widest part last night.

Congrats! great looking buck

Scrape activity has exploded in my general area. I have an area where half a dozen or so scrapes popped up inthe woods and my dad's place has a scrape where deer are visiting on a regulr basis (even in daylight) I am not seeing any chasing yet. This timing is rather par for the course in my area.

WTG BF

Lots of scrapes and rubs showed up the last few days. Ive been sitting since 9am and no signs of any bucks out cruising today. Been super slow by me, does and fawns still hanging together the past 3-4 days.

Congrats. Nice shot and hunt.

At 2 I had what appeared to be a shooter strolling between two bedding areas.
Second night in a row I saw a heavy beamed mature 8 on the neighbors field with his harem of does. He looks content watching over his hotties, and I can't kill him unless he breaks off from those does.
I'm pretty sure that's the same 8 I saw last week. Just got to get these bad boys to mess up. It's fun either way, no real whoppers so I'm not getting too excited.

One little dink tonight and 10 Doe's and fawns. Waste of 6 hours...

Here's another pic. I'll put a couple more up on my habitat thread.

Here's another pic. I'll put a couple more up on my habitat thread.

BF ... congrats and you look like a happy camper, you did well, beautiful buck!

Sometimes we get lost in our own success by others always posting something better. At the end of the day, it is about being a hunter, not a shooter. Looks like you worked hard for that deer and it shows. I remember my first best buck and it is a wonderful feeling ... enjoy!

As a hunter, enjoy your trophy, learn from the experience, and have fun planning your next hunt!.

Be well ...

Yesterday evening sucked for me, I didn't see a deer. I heard one shuffling around the swamp at dusk. I slept in this morning and got in stand at 0830. Seen a buck trying to corner a doe in the middle of a 50 acre field. He wasn't necessarly chasing, he was trying to cut her off. She had to be hot or close too it.
I'm gonna try sitting to dark.

Dipper ... I was working round the farm Sunday and putting up some stands.

How did your all day sit go?

Dipper ... I was working round the farm Sunday and putting up some stands.

How did your all day sit go?

Pretty much sucked. I saw a doe around 11 and a small buck around 1. Today was a little better. I think all day sits are worth it if you can pull them off. The bucks seem to be moving at all times of day, just not all day. That's the hard part. Boring!!!!!! I pass time with my phone. My luck, I'll look up some time and mr big will be standing at 20 yards, but I need something to carry me when I'm putting in 10 hour shifts.

Now if I could just get a turkey to walk by....
The flock by us is spending lots of time on our water tub

I guess our neighbors shot a 170+. They also run a big trap line for coyotes on their 2000 acres, I guess they've got a few wolves too that they released. At least one big female was trapped less than 200 yds from our property line.

Yeah. We are northeast Marquette County. They have a video of them releasing one of the trapped wolves and my relative was able to view it.

Pretty much sucked. I saw a doe around 11 and a small buck around 1. Today was a little better. I think all day sits are worth it if you can pull them off. The bucks seem to be moving at all times of day, just not all day. That's the hard part. Boring!!!!!! I pass time with my phone. My luck, I'll look up some time and mr big will be standing at 20 yards, but I need something to carry me when I'm putting in 10 hour shifts.
I'm the same way. All day sits can get boring. I usually have my phone or an old game boy or a book

Yeah. We are northeast Marquette County. They have a video of them releasing one of the trapped wolves and my relative was able to view it.
Should have found someone with a wolf tag, Zone 6 is still open

Trapping wolves in Marquette County? Wow. Another hour or so south and those wolf loving folks in the politically correct Dane County areas will start seeing Fluffy and Mr. Whiskers disappear.
That's what they want, everyone's happy but the hunters who fund everything

Had a little 6 chasing evrrything yesterday morning. Saw another 100" 8 feeding with does. The only thing on his mind was food, he would hardly lift his head up.
Seen a 80" 8 at 10 today cruising.
My two one acre food plots are officially wiped out, I am seeing few does as a result.