2014 rut reports

sat for 2 hours last nite. saw two big bodies at dusk....abot 100 yards thru thick cover. I know one was a big buck....but didnt get a good look.....and then it got too dark. They walked right under the last stand I sat in. Duh. Will sit a few more times this week. Heres my crossbow on my bipod. :D image.jpg

Game on in Waupaca today. Cruisin, grunting, chasing and the big boys are out acting like they haven't been laid in 11 months.

So they are at the bar drinking beer?;)

Cold front pushed through last night and I get to hunt in the morning. Forecast is calling for another Friday and I get to hunt Saturday morning so I'm pretty pumped.

Morning of the 25th i had an identified buck come in to my plot at about 35 yds...just was a tad too dark yet to be be able to make out much detail of the antlers...all i could see was a very solid looking beam and a pretty stout body. he was grunting frequently. as he was walking back up the hill away from me i could here him shredding a tree. I threw a couple few grunts at him....but he wasnt buying what I was selling.

past few evening while driving around i have seen young and mature bucks harassing does. a good friend of mine had a STUD pushing a doe around in front of him while he was filming his brother. yesterday morning i saw a nice young buck limping his way across a hayfield at about 7:45AM....i think he may have learned his lesson about who's in charge in that neighborhood.

My Son passed this guy 3 hours ago chasin doe. He will get my arrow next week.:)
I'd shoot that thing for the double throat patch. I love those

2 bucks this morning, didn't get a perfect look at the possible shooter. He's wide, for sure over 17", but he could be over 20",just didn't get a good look. I think he's only an 8, with 6" 2s and 3s.
I had a 17" 8 point with short tines, I let go last December, I'm guessing it's him.
He didn't respond to my grunt call, but it so damn windy he might not of heard it. Both bucks were just slowly walking in thick cover.

Sat 3 hours yesterday morning and saw one doe, real quiet. Sat 4 hours yesterday afternoon and saw two bucks, a spike and a nice 8pt in the last 30 mins of light and they weren't in any hurry to get anywhere.

Got a 90"er pushing a doe around right now, they popped out where that bigger one went in

I'm hoping the high winds keep them somewhat locked up today and then are running around like crazy in the morning.

Saw 2 Big guys chasing the ladies this morning. One real nice what looked to be 10 pointer and one magnum definitely mature 8 point with some trash, I was full draw with the magnum for nearly 5 min at 25 yds. 3 trees between me and him. He went left behind more thick cover, he goes right it may have ended differently. Oh well, great day so far. Good luck everyone. Smells like fried chicken today, love an East wind.

Sat last night ... 31 deg F and 24 mph winds right into my face. No activity till last 30 min ... 10 does who very jumpy and 2 small bucks chasing the does. Hard to hear anything or see with all the wind.

Had a little 6 and a little 8 trolling this morning between 9-10. The little 6 had a side kick nubber with him. That was kinda cool. South wind forecasted the next two days, looks like Ill be positioned At the base of a south facing slope down wind of a doe bedding swamp/ dipper habitat mess.
Damn sun impacting movement. I was seeing more deer in 30mph winds yesterday. All I need is one thought!

Checked some of the cameras today. Big time chasing going on this week with the young bucks. Lots of daylight pics as well. Had one new deer that looks like a 9 point in the 130 - 140 range, but he came through fast and the pics were blurry. Our gun season opens next Saturday, and based on pics this week I would say it will hit the peak this year.

Last edited:
Very nice badger!

CONGRATULATIONS badger......nice deer

Congrats BF!

Congratulations, nice looking deer and good time length.

Nice buck, Badger. Always love when they come a grunting. Great shot. Congrats.

Sounds like a fun hunt! Congrats on a nice one.

Congrats Badger!

I sat last night and it was a good sit. Winds were calmer. Saw the 1st buck moving at 3:30 pm. Saw a total of 5 bucks by 4:30 all with their nose to the ground walkin into the wind. One possible shooter and one definite shooter. The big one was a heavy horned 11 pointer was at least a 4.5 year and he was out moving at 4 pm. Does starting appearing after 5 and saw 8 of them.

Putting a couple more stands up today and will be back up Tue night to hunt Wed - Sun.