All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Apple tree order

I just got started this year but if I got a do-over, i would have bought far fewer grafted trees and more rootstock. Planted the rootstock and grafted it over the next few years.

That said, grafting requires delayed gratification. The grafted trees I got will hopefully be producing soon enough that my 74 year old father gets to enjoy the rewards of his hard work this year. And I hope he gets apples from the wolf river that I grafted on P.18 this spring but that will many more years down the road.

That said, grafting requires delayed gratification. The grafted trees I got will hopefully be producing soon enough that my 74 year old father gets to enjoy the rewards of his hard work this year. And I hope he gets apples from the wolf river that I grafted on P.18 this spring but that will many more years down the road.
That's why I want to start out with bareroot to hopefully build up some confidence and see some success. One step at a time.

^^Good plan. That's what I was thinking and hopefully I can put a couple from Tree Top in the ground in September.

You guys know of any good fruit tree stores for larger potted trees from MPLS down to Bethany MO? I have not found one yet.

^^Good plan. That's what I was thinking and hopefully I can put a couple from Tree Top in the ground in September.
I have no experience with Tree Top, but a few years ago I found some chestnut crabs with severe root circling from too much time in the pot. These were at a facility in Little Falls that is now under different ownership. I did not buy them.

Riggs, if you buy potted trees, be ready to deal with circling roots. In my soil, I don't plant fruit trees in the fall.

I have a 200 gallon tank on a trailer that I could park next to the trees. I could either have a constant water drip or easily give them a good shot of water twice a week.